Author Topic: Resurrecting a lowered 2005 GS500 with less than 1000 miles  (Read 443 times)

Offline z315

• AMA Supersport Racer
  • I have no idea what I am doing.
Resurrecting a lowered 2005 GS500 with less than 1000 miles
« on: September 12, 2021, 03:24:21 PM »
Hello GS500 community, want to start a single thread to log my GS500 project.

Recently purchased a 2005 GS500 with 879 miles on it. Right now it doesn't run because the battery is dead but don't plan to ride this until 2022.

Here are some pictures of the bike!

So far I know it needs a new battery and the gas cover needs to be replaced. Do you guys have any recommendations?
I will also need to unlower the bike (https://gstwins.com/gsboard/index.php?topic=73761.0)
After this is done I would imagine the regular items needs to be done. Replace all fluids, change the oil, hopefully the carbs will works and will not require cleaning (wishful thinking probably)

Once I get the bike running, perhaps slap on stainless steel brake lines and a new set of tires.

Any and all feedback are greatly appreciated. It' been years since I last worked on a GS500.

Thank you.
« Last Edit: September 12, 2021, 03:41:28 PM by z315 »

Offline herennow

• Formula Extreme Racer
Re: Resurrecting a lowered 2005 GS500 with less than 1000 miles
« Reply #1 on: September 13, 2021, 01:09:45 AM »
Nice, congratulations, it looks minty. Go slow and take your time. Will probably have to clean the carbs,but  I'd change the fluids, put some oil in the cylinders, get the engine moving (turn rear wheel while in gear with the plugs out) and make sure some oil is circulating before trying to starting up. First get it going and then evaluate what needs to be done. Certainly new tyres.

Offline Bluesmudge

• MotoGP Racer
« Reply #2 on: September 13, 2021, 12:05:47 PM »
Anything rubber on that bike is at least 16 years old now so be prepared to replace fuel lines, intake boots and o-rings, and all rubber carb internals. Brake lines are probably functional but I would consider replacing them after you know the bike is running. You may also want to rebuild the brake calipers at that point.

Did the previous owner drain the carbs and gas tank before letting it sit for so long?
« Last Edit: September 13, 2021, 12:06:35 PM by Bluesmudge »

Offline z315

• AMA Supersport Racer
« Reply #3 on: September 13, 2021, 03:04:41 PM »
Not to my understanding. Yea, I agree swapping out pretty much all the rubber bits is a good idea.

Where is a good place to buy replacement parts?

Offline herennow

• Formula Extreme Racer
« Reply #4 on: September 13, 2021, 10:45:40 PM »
Are you in the uuunited States?

Ron Ayers was great for me. Avoid Ebay.

Offline z315

• AMA Supersport Racer
« Reply #5 on: September 14, 2021, 06:37:11 AM »
Yes! I'm on the west coast.

Will check Ron Ayers out. Thank you!

Offline Bluesmudge

• MotoGP Racer
« Reply #6 on: September 14, 2021, 09:43:17 AM »
Most places are going to be selling OEM Suzuki parts from the same warehouse for the same price. I have also used BikeBandit.com and Partzilla.com

Watch out for the part availability when ordering it. Because of the Covid supply chain backlog, a lot of OEM parts are on extended backorder. I recently ordered a Suzuki gasket that had a 200 day lead time. Ended up buying an aftermarket gasket off eBay.

ebay can be good for low mileage used hard parts for far less than OEM prices, but I agree that you should avoid them for rubber bits whenever possible. That said, sometimes a little bike dealer will have a NOS item listed on ebay that is out of production or backordered at the large parts houses.

Also, its generally better to buy genuine Mikuni/Suzuki carb parts vs a "rebuild kit." A lot of times the jets and gaskets in the rebuild kits are lower quality. Carb rebuilding is already difficult enough without having to trace an issue to something like a weak spring in an aftermarket float needle. For carb parts I recomend JetsRUs.com and look for the Genuine Mikuni stuff. The cheaper parts are usually K&L brand which is okay, but I've had issues with some of their parts not being identical to OEM.
« Last Edit: September 14, 2021, 09:50:06 AM by Bluesmudge »

Offline z315

• AMA Supersport Racer
« Reply #7 on: September 14, 2021, 02:45:25 PM »
Most places are going to be selling OEM Suzuki parts from the same warehouse for the same price. I have also used BikeBandit.com and Partzilla.com

Watch out for the part availability when ordering it. Because of the Covid supply chain backlog, a lot of OEM parts are on extended backorder. I recently ordered a Suzuki gasket that had a 200 day lead time. Ended up buying an aftermarket gasket off eBay.

ebay can be good for low mileage used hard parts for far less than OEM prices, but I agree that you should avoid them for rubber bits whenever possible. That said, sometimes a little bike dealer will have a NOS item listed on ebay that is out of production or backordered at the large parts houses.

Also, its generally better to buy genuine Mikuni/Suzuki carb parts vs a "rebuild kit." A lot of times the jets and gaskets in the rebuild kits are lower quality. Carb rebuilding is already difficult enough without having to trace an issue to something like a weak spring in an aftermarket float needle. For carb parts I recomend JetsRUs.com and look for the Genuine Mikuni stuff. The cheaper parts are usually K&L brand which is okay, but I've had issues with some of their parts not being identical to OEM.

Thank you for the tips. Will def keep you and everyone posted on this restoration.

Offline chris900f

• AMA Supersport Racer
    • free image host
« Reply #8 on: September 14, 2021, 06:49:31 PM »
Hello z315 :)

Depending on how and where it was stored you may not need to replace every o-ring etc. I bought a similar 2005 last year with just 480kms (under 300 miles).
It was stored in a heated shop and so far I haven't had any problems with leaking carbs, etc. I'm thinking that Mikuni was probably using nitrile o-rings and gaskets
by the 2000's, to be compatible with the ethanol blended fuels we have these days, and they are much more durable.

I didn't even clean my carbs. Modern fuels are pretty stable. I use Shell V-power with no ethanol. The stuff is clear as water and smells more like
solvent than gasoline. Back in the day, if you stored the bike with fuel in the bowls it would evaporate and leave orange tar/scum at the bottom, which
would dissolve in the fresh gas and break up into chunks which could clog up the pilot jets and maybe even the mains.

That being said, I would not even open the carbs to look unless I had a new set of bowl gaskets on hand, as the old ones will be flattened and might not
seal up a 2nd time.

My advice (pass the salt!)
First, drain the tank to get rid of any stale gas, then get a flashlight and inspect the inside of the tank for rust. If it looks ok add about a gallon of fresh
premium. Set the petcock to prime and let it sit, check for leaks at the carbs. If nothing leaks, your floats (needle and seat valve) are probably ok. Using the drain screws
on the sides of the float bowls drain a pint or so fuel from each carb into a clean, clear glass jar: check for crud/discoloration. It you don't see any solids you are probably fine.

Next, pull the plugs and spray a good squirt of WD40 into each cylinder (not too much, about 3 seconds worth) and let sit (open) for an hour. I recommend WD40 instead of oil, as
it will burn away very quickly and not foul up your plugs as easily. Next you can rotate the engine manually a few cycles with the plugs still out, and then using the starter
for a few seconds to blast out any left over WD. Replace the plugs/wires, add some more fuel if you need it and start 'er up.

Because it's an '05 you may notice that once fully warmed up after riding, the bike will make a knocking sound at idle that disappears at higher rpm. This is called by various names
"cam-knock", "walking-cam-knock" etc. The main thing to remember here is that it is very common for the 04/05 models and is not the result of damage, nor is it damaging to your engine.
(I think this is why you and I both "scored" ultra-low-mile 15/16 year old bikes.) But you can cross that bridge when you come to it.
Cheers.

Offline z315

• AMA Supersport Racer
« Reply #9 on: September 15, 2021, 01:00:08 PM »
Hello z315 :)

Depending on how and where it was stored you may not need to replace every o-ring etc. I bought a similar 2005 last year with just 480kms (under 300 miles).
It was stored in a heated shop and so far I haven't had any problems with leaking carbs, etc. I'm thinking that Mikuni was probably using nitrile o-rings and gaskets
by the 2000's, to be compatible with the ethanol blended fuels we have these days, and they are much more durable.

I didn't even clean my carbs. Modern fuels are pretty stable. I use Shell V-power with no ethanol. The stuff is clear as water and smells more like
solvent than gasoline. Back in the day, if you stored the bike with fuel in the bowls it would evaporate and leave orange tar/scum at the bottom, which
would dissolve in the fresh gas and break up into chunks which could clog up the pilot jets and maybe even the mains.

That being said, I would not even open the carbs to look unless I had a new set of bowl gaskets on hand, as the old ones will be flattened and might not
seal up a 2nd time.

My advice (pass the salt!)
First, drain the tank to get rid of any stale gas, then get a flashlight and inspect the inside of the tank for rust. If it looks ok add about a gallon of fresh
premium. Set the petcock to prime and let it sit, check for leaks at the carbs. If nothing leaks, your floats (needle and seat valve) are probably ok. Using the drain screws
on the sides of the float bowls drain a pint or so fuel from each carb into a clean, clear glass jar: check for crud/discoloration. It you don't see any solids you are probably fine.

Next, pull the plugs and spray a good squirt of WD40 into each cylinder (not too much, about 3 seconds worth) and let sit (open) for an hour. I recommend WD40 instead of oil, as
it will burn away very quickly and not foul up your plugs as easily. Next you can rotate the engine manually a few cycles with the plugs still out, and then using the starter
for a few seconds to blast out any left over WD. Replace the plugs/wires, add some more fuel if you need it and start 'er up.

Because it's an '05 you may notice that once fully warmed up after riding, the bike will make a knocking sound at idle that disappears at higher rpm. This is called by various names
"cam-knock", "walking-cam-knock" etc. The main thing to remember here is that it is very common for the 04/05 models and is not the result of damage, nor is it damaging to your engine.
(I think this is why you and I both "scored" ultra-low-mile 15/16 year old bikes.) But you can cross that bridge when you come to it.
Cheers.

Wonderful advice. Thank you! The bike was kept in a garage and under a cover. The bike is in California so things SHOULD be ok. But will start with the simple stuff as you suggested before I start tearing stuff down. Will keep you guys posted! hopefully I'll have some time to work on it this weekend.

Offline herennow

• Formula Extreme Racer
« Reply #10 on: September 15, 2021, 10:56:50 PM »
Enjoy!!!!

Offline chris900f

• AMA Supersport Racer
    • free image host
« Reply #11 on: September 16, 2021, 12:57:58 AM »
California eh? damn I'm a little jealous :laugh:. Today topped out at about 60F degrees here in frosty Alberta, I might be able to squeeze
one more month out of the season. Anyhow that's good news, give us some more info/pics when you get a chance.  :cheers:

Also, I managed to get a hold of a set of NOS revised camshafts that they used on the 2006+ bikes. The install is not that difficult and it
completely eliminates the walking-cam noise; so it's definitely a fixable issue. I got pretty lucky finding NOS cams that came as kits, complete
with the special wave washers (from a seller in Israel no less). But, if your bike has the issue, a low-mile used set from a 2006+ bike would be
a great upgrade and really worth it for what is basically a brand-new old bike.
« Last Edit: September 16, 2021, 01:03:08 AM by chris900f »

Offline z315

• AMA Supersport Racer
« Reply #12 on: September 17, 2021, 11:46:38 PM »
California eh? damn I'm a little jealous :laugh:. Today topped out at about 60F degrees here in frosty Alberta, I might be able to squeeze
one more month out of the season. Anyhow that's good news, give us some more info/pics when you get a chance.  :cheers:

Also, I managed to get a hold of a set of NOS revised camshafts that they used on the 2006+ bikes. The install is not that difficult and it
completely eliminates the walking-cam noise; so it's definitely a fixable issue. I got pretty lucky finding NOS cams that came as kits, complete
with the special wave washers (from a seller in Israel no less). But, if your bike has the issue, a low-mile used set from a 2006+ bike would be
a great upgrade and really worth it for what is basically a brand-new old bike.

Ah Thank you for the pro tips. Will def take pictures of my wrenching adventures! hopefully I'll have some time this weekend!

Offline z315

• AMA Supersport Racer
« Reply #13 on: September 26, 2021, 10:55:21 PM »
Updates:

Had a little bit of time working on the bike today- boy it's a task.

Pictures and questions:

1. As per a thread I started earlier- I'm trying to remove the dog bones to factory. I can remove the bottom bolts just fine but the top bolt just spins. I am having trouble securing a wrench on the cap as a brace due to the limited space. Any suggestions on how to do that will be greatly appreciated.

2. Gas Cap is stuck and won't open. The strange part was that I was able to open it a few weeks ago but now it turns 3/4 but not all the way for the cap to open. There's some old fuel is there that I'm trying to get out.
I can't seem to get anything in there aside a 17mm wrench, but I have no way of bracing it against anything else.

I can get a breaker bar on the bolt head but it just spins the bolt.

Ripped Hoses : (

Offline herennow

• Formula Extreme Racer
« Reply #14 on: September 27, 2021, 12:16:28 AM »
Push down on the petrol cap when trying to turn the key.

Offline The Buddha

• The guru Ba-moo-derator
  • Administrator
  • Motorcycle God!
« Reply #15 on: September 27, 2021, 02:55:20 AM »
What are you trying to take apart ? The linkage bolts ?
The top shock bolt - isn't there a access hole in the frame with a plastic cap over it ? I dont see it in your pic. Anyway that's there for you to stick the socket through with extension etc.
Put a 2X4 under the center stand and undo the top shock bolt.
The rear wheel will drop and that linkage bolts will get more accessible.
Its been a few yrs since I took the most recent one apart - but it is not that hard. You're missing something TBH.
Cool.
Buddha.
-----------------------------------------------------------------
I run a business based on other people's junk.

Offline z315

• AMA Supersport Racer
« Reply #16 on: September 27, 2021, 05:49:48 PM »
What are you trying to take apart ? The linkage bolts ?
The top shock bolt - isn't there a access hole in the frame with a plastic cap over it ? I dont see it in your pic. Anyway that's there for you to stick the socket through with extension etc.
Put a 2X4 under the center stand and undo the top shock bolt.
The rear wheel will drop and that linkage bolts will get more accessible.
Its been a few yrs since I took the most recent one apart - but it is not that hard. You're missing something TBH.
Cool.
Buddha.

Hey Buddha, appreciate your response as always. Yes- I'm trying to remove the dog bones and get the bike back to stock height. The picture of the bolt is where the top of the dog bone link.
The top shock bolt - isn't there a access hole in the frame with a plastic cap over it ? I dont see it in your pic. Anyway that's there for you to stick the socket through with extension etc. that did not even came into my mind. will attempt that in a bit.

but it is not that hard. You're missing something TBH. I don't doubt that at all. there's not much going on up in there.  :icon_sad:

Offline The Buddha

• The guru Ba-moo-derator
  • Administrator
  • Motorcycle God!
« Reply #17 on: September 27, 2021, 06:15:35 PM »
Yea with these shock or linkage/dog bone swap jobs - you really gotta get the rear wheel hanging down by liberating that top shock bolt.
Its always easier to get the rear wheel back into place that way.
BTW 89 frames didn't have that hole to get the socket on - didn't matter we still managed with 2 crescent wrenches.
Cool.
Buddha.
I run a business based on other people's junk.

Offline cbrfxr67

• Some day I'll finish my projects
  • MotoGP Racer
« Reply #18 on: September 28, 2021, 08:08:22 AM »
Love to see a gs come back to life!

"Its something you take apart in 2-3 days and takes 10 years to go back together."
-buddha

Offline chris900f

• AMA Supersport Racer
    • free image host
« Reply #19 on: September 28, 2021, 07:01:06 PM »
Take a look at my post about replacing the rear shock. There is a lot of overlap with swapping-out the dog bones.

http://gstwins.com/gsboard/index.php?topic=73684.0

« Last Edit: September 28, 2021, 07:01:39 PM by chris900f »

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk