GS is finished. Fighter from Finland. New projects 03/11!

Started by -ahven-, April 10, 2009, 01:53:53 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

-ahven-

New(ish) user is saying hi!

I have worked with this little project since i bought it last fall. All I thought to do was change oil and wash it up but due the long and cold winter, I decided to pump it up a little.

The bike is 1992 GS500E, having about 50 thousand kilometers driven roads behind. My first bike ever. Not a rocket but altogether satisfying machine to chill the brains for the hardened brick who drives a car. Was cheap and good.

The starting point:

---

Little modding, dual headlights and raising tail four inches:

Tail was raised only by raising rearfairings and drinking lots of beer. No Good. And dual lights looked so common... Needed something more.

---
Then I found cheap tail from Yamaha R6. Was bargain:

Ain't so easy to fit that tail around. Needed lots of anger, (more) beer and Dremel. Fitting fairings from other bike model sucks, I can tell. Also I made seven millimeters shorter dogbones to rear. Made rear raise and better feel to handle.

Polishing rims:

Waiting for the spring was tiring. Decided to polish my white(ish), rough and ugly rims. Had very psychedelious times with paint remover, long nights with sandpaper. After three weeks of hard wanking I become satisfied (with the rims of course, think this metaphor works better in finnish than in english).

---

Red-blue-white-whatever-coloured bike undressed her fairings and sent them to the painter.

Must say, ifyou have  couple of hundred euros hanging, spend those euros to paint your darling. "Colour Your Life" may sound kind of a ghey but this is a exception. Worth of every eurocent. Makes hellofa change on old bike.

---
Spring was coming, so it was time to mount a new headlight (slightly modded Polisport Alien). Also removed rev-counter to wait for the time I find something smaller, maybe some Koso- meter.
Never finished but always on the run:

Ride on fellows!

...and sorry for my bad english :dunno_white:

scottpA_GS

~ 1990 GS500E Project bike ~ Frame up restoration ~ Yosh exhaust, 89 clipons, ...more to come...

~ 98 Shadow ACE 750 ~ Black Straight Pipes ~ UNI Filter ~ Dyno Jet Stage 1 ~ Sissy Bar ~

cafeboy

IF I COULD FRAME MY MIND---WHERE WOULD IT HANG ?
I've Seen The Future, and It's Cafeboy-Shaped.

toyopete

very creative very nice work,. a bit bigger or more headlights would look nice,.
teh wheel are magnif,.

Bluesmudge

I really like that rear end, very sporty and surprisingly fitting, although a bit rough up near the tank.

Weston

commuterdude

that's awesome work there my friend.   Never apologize for your English skill, it is excellent.  Congratulations on a fine machine!
Attack but have a back up plan

-ahven-

Thanks for the comments fellows. Can't imagine any headlight that suits better than that... Any suggestions?

It's morning and lovely springweather here in Finland. I'm about to hit the road. See ya later.

theGrinch

Looks tidy - but I wouldn't sacrifice my rev counter. Have a look at CZOKO's solution (bicycle speedo in original rev-counter)
A bad day on the bike is better than a good day in the office.
(Nick Sanders - fastest man around the world on two wheels)

My G²S²V²R²

-ahven-

Quote from: theGrinch on April 11, 2009, 02:55:04 AM
Looks tidy - but I wouldn't sacrifice my rev counter. Have a look at CZOKO's solution (bicycle speedo in original rev-counter)

I will put the rev counter back in place when I get my digital speedo calibrated. It's just a simple bicycle speedo I'm planning to fit. I'll work it out tomorrow and upload more pics.

bill14224

Love those polished wheels, and your English is better than most of ours!  :cheers:
V&H pipes, K&N drop-in, seat by KnoPlace.com, 17/39 sprockets, matching grips, fenderectomy, short signals, new mirrors - 10 scariest words: "I'm here from the government and I'm here to help!"

drewbytes

Where in Finland are you from? I'm an Aussie but my wife is from the Oulu area. We'll be back there in July for the summer  :)

-ahven-

Quote from: drewbytes on April 11, 2009, 01:27:51 PM
Where in Finland are you from? I'm an Aussie but my wife is from the Oulu area. We'll be back there in July for the summer  :)

I'm from southern Finland, 40 kilometers from Helsinki, 500 kilometers from Oulu ;) But you are welcome to come visiting if you find yourself cruising nearby :icon_razz:

-ahven-

Today I re-installed old gauges. It was annoying to drive without rev-counter. Now it looks kinda crappy but maybe soon I find something betterlooking. Painted the frame matt black and put some foam plastic to tighten gauges up.
Also installed spoiler over the gauges. Hides gauges very well when you look from front but when you look from back, you see those old fashioned pieces of history.

It was nice,though cold day to drive around. Drove couple of hundred kilometers. Temperature was only +2,5 celsius when I came back a moment ago. Goddamn I am frozen.

Couple of pics more:

-ahven-

I'm Back!

Some update and more pics:

Put back old rev-counter and made that assembly better looking:

Also made some other cosmetic mods:

Installed also new rear tyre. Old was made 2001 :o Much more better handling now :D

Couple of more pics:

New rev/speedgauge and takkon exhaust is still coming on... Some day.

Bluehaze

2008 GS500F Modification: Fenderectomy. Additional LED Brake Lights. Blue Underlighting Kit. Grills on the Fairing. K&N Drop in Filter. Laser Deeptone 2-1 Exhaust. DynoJet Kit. Rear Kellerman Turn Signal. 14T sprocket. Carbon Fiber Race pegs. SM2 handlebar. 06 R6 Rear Suspension.

5thAve

Very nice work!  And your wanking metaphor seems to work OK in English, too.
GS500EM currently undergoing major open-heart surgery.
Coming eventually: 541cc with 78mm Wiseco pistons; K&N Lunchbox; Vance & Hines; 40 pilot / 147.5 main jets; Progressive fork springs; 15W fork oil; Katana 750 shock

VFR750FM beautifully stock.
XV750 Virago 1981 - sold
XL185s 1984 - sold

Rickyz80

Question, What's the thing in this pic, with the wire mesh over it and zip tied to the electric harness?
>>.

xhyperxshogunx

which seat did you have to modify to work, the r6 or gs?

kml.krk

Yellow 2004: K&N Lunchbox, Leo Vince SBK, 2005 GSXR Turn Signals, 20/65/147.5, 15T front sprocket, Progressive Springs etc...

"Bikes get you through times of no money better than money gets you through times of no bikes." - Phineas

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk