News:

Protect your dainty digits. Get a good pair of riding gloves cheap Right Here

Main Menu

CAFE RACER/SCRAMBLER PROJECT

Started by Henxo, November 16, 2017, 07:17:05 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Henxo

Ok so i bought my Suzuki gs 500 (2000 model) for 450€ as a nice project for me. Bike runs fine (at the moment) time to get chopping!!! Any ideas/suggestions are more than welcome.

Enviado desde mi MI 6 mediante Tapatalk

Henxo

Rear break pads, oil and oil filter first.

cbrfxr67

Sweet!  more pics!  Cant wait to see what you come up with.  Are you going to make it project or going to ride it and work on it at the same time?
"Its something you take apart in 2-3 days and takes 10 years to go back together."
-buddha

Henxo

Quote from: cbrfxr67 on November 16, 2017, 07:47:18 AM
Sweet!  more pics!  Cant wait to see what you come up with.  Are you going to make it project or going to ride it and work on it at the same time?
Want to ride and work at the same time...still working on my lisence too so ive got plenty of time to work on it before i can even ride It legally.

The fink

Congrats on the purchase. Excited to see what you do to her.  :cheers:
Be who YOU are, and say what YOU feel, because those who mind don't matter, and those who matter don't mind.
-Dr. Seuss

Henxo

Ok so just got some bits in that i needed...60€ for all 3...i think its not too bad...theyre not perfect but a bit of paint should make them look better. Got the handle bar bit so i can put normal handle bars on...any suggestions for the handlebars? Thanks.

ajensen

Handlebars may be the most personal choice on a motorcycle. Since you do not have a fairing, I suggest something reasonably low. I find that higher bars, unless there is some sort of windshield, make the arms tired because the rider is always fighting the wind. On the other hand, lower bars have the rider leaning into the wind. No matter what, whatever works for you is the right choice. It took me a while to get used to the stock bars on my GS500f, but I really like them now.

gregjet

I am beginning to think all the GS500 's in the world have engine side covers like that. I put carbon fibre over mine because they were so scratched.
Renthal ultralows bars have the advantage of absorbing vibration to some extent.
Rear brakes also seem to be a GS thing. Though mine had one pad completely missing and had eaten the rear disc.
I await developments.
Have fun!

Henxo

Quote from: ajensen on November 18, 2017, 10:28:05 AM
Handlebars may be the most personal choice on a motorcycle. Since you do not have a fairing, I suggest something reasonably low. I find that higher bars, unless there is some sort of windshield, make the arms tired because the rider is always fighting the wind. On the other hand, lower bars have the rider leaning into the wind. No matter what, whatever works for you is the right choice. It took me a while to get used to the stock bars on my GS500f, but I really like them now.
👏👏👏

Henxo

Quote from: gregjet on November 19, 2017, 01:22:06 PM
I am beginning to think all the GS500 's in the world have engine side covers like that. I put carbon fibre over mine because they were so scratched.
Renthal ultralows bars have the advantage of absorbing vibration to some extent.
Rear brakes also seem to be a GS thing. Though mine had one pad completely missing and had eaten the rear disc.
I await developments.
Have fun!
Should be fine when i Paint It...not looking for "perfect" anyway.

qcbaker

As far as handlebar suggestions go, like ajensen said, its really a personal preference thing. How do you like to ride? If you want a more relaxed ride, get something more upright. If you want a sportier feel, get something lower. I have the Bikemaster Superbike bars, and I really like them.

Henxo

Quote from: qcbaker on November 20, 2017, 05:27:07 AM
As far as handlebar suggestions go, like ajensen said, its really a personal preference thing. How do you like to ride? If you want a more relaxed ride, get something more upright. If you want a sportier feel, get something lower. I have the Bikemaster Superbike bars, and I really like them.
Yeah not sure yet...wont be doing much travelling so looking for It look nice rather than being practical 😂😂😂

Henxo

Cafe Racer style seat arrived today for when i chop the back end...only 30€ and i think It will do the job fine...and probably wont find anything cheaper!!!

saxij

oh sweet I'm also in the process of building a cafe/scrambler from a 2007 gs500f with a blown engine.  I'm taking my time with it, working on rust repair, cleaning/lubricating bearings, powdercoating a few parts myself, and keeping my eye out for an engine before I start chopping. :thumb:
-saxij

Henxo

Quote from: saxij on November 21, 2017, 07:23:38 PM
oh sweet I'm also in the process of building a cafe/scrambler from a 2007 gs500f with a blown engine.  I'm taking my time with it, working on rust repair, cleaning/lubricating bearings, powdercoating a few parts myself, and keeping my eye out for an engine before I start chopping. :thumb:
💪💪💪💪

J_Walker

The only way you're getting the GS bars far back enough for a proper upright comfortable position in my opinion, is by getting blocks to raise the bars and getting bars that are further back, but will require longer brake lines and clutch cables, and throttle cable, and choke. a real PITA, my advice for more comfort on the GS, is to actually make the bars lower. maybe it's just my oddly long torso though.
-Walker

Ne0n

So I've been through 5 different types of handle bars on my GS by now (original, clip-ons, superbike, dragbar, mx bars), and for my riding style the mx bars are the best.

It's something most people don't even consider, but I'd give it a try.
~ ride hard ~

Henxo

Quote from: Ne0n on November 22, 2017, 11:50:58 PM
So I've been through 5 different types of handle bars on my GS by now (original, clip-ons, superbike, dragbar, mx bars), and for my riding style the mx bars are the best.

Photo?

mr72

Quote from: Ne0n on November 22, 2017, 11:50:58 PM

I have KX-bend MX bars on my bike, aluminum, they're pretty fab. It's the third handlebar I've tried. It all depends largely on your body type, how long your arms and torso are, etc. This isn't really about appearance.

I might not mind if they were 1/2" or 1" taller. But they're pretty close to perfect.

Henxo

Just sold my 2001 Kawasaki kx 250 so new bits will be on the way pretty soon!

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk