News:

Registration Issues: email manjul.bose at gmail for support - seems there is a issue that we're still trying to fix

Main Menu

Turning GS500f Into a great tourer!

Started by J_Walker, November 02, 2011, 09:38:38 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

J_Walker

Alright well I've had the bike for about. almost 2 weeks. its a fun ride an all, my first bike of course. Problems I have,

Raddle's like a  :mad:, I loose feeling in my fingers after about 15 mins of riding, guy who sold it to me, said It would do that, nothings lose[ive checked]

I also got the obnoxious-sliding-into-the-tank syndrome. Not only that but my bum hurts every time I get off after 30 mins of riding. :(

So basically I'm asking how do I fix these things? I'm sure I'll run into more problems that i'll ask about here.

So I hope that you all can help me turn this sucker into a decent tourer, Everyone burns me around my area, cause it seems EVERYONE owns a Harley, Telling me "Oh I cruise at 80mph" WELL I CAN TOO! I just want to show all these harley fan's up. Prove that one can make something into something great! [PS: I live in North kissimmee/Orlando Florida area, Right on the boarder.]

Heres some pictures of my bike.
http://i209.photobucket.com/albums/bb97/coolcooljohn13/DSC02582.jpg
http://i209.photobucket.com/albums/bb97/coolcooljohn13/DSC02581.jpg
http://i209.photobucket.com/albums/bb97/coolcooljohn13/DSC02580.jpg
http://i209.photobucket.com/albums/bb97/coolcooljohn13/DSC02578.jpg

It's pretty standard other than the turn signals, front mounted head light from the GS500E model, naked body. My bike is also a 2005 year bike.
-Walker

SS Adrenaline

So what happened to all the fairings?  It has an oil cooler in the front so it should have been fully faired.  Also you might get some more advice by placing this subject in the general discussion.  There are more people looking there that can help you out.  I have a 2006 and it doesnt rattle that bad at all.  Actually its pretty smooth.  As far as the seat you might wana try adding some padding.  Can you get a vid of it running to show us?  There miight be a problem but I think we would need more information about the machine to narrow it down.
Peace.
2006 Suzuki GS500F
-Clocks For Bikes Temp/Time Gauges
-Jetting: 22.5,65,147.5 (3 Turns Out)
-Custom Underseat Storage
-Blue LED Gauges WLED-X5
-NGK Iridium DPR8EIX-9
-Jardine RT1 Full Exhaust
-K&N Lunchbox RU-2970
-K&N 62-1320 Vent Filter
-Custom SS Chain Guard
-Custom Rear Hugger
-Fiamm HK9 Horn

J_Walker

Well the side fairings, got squished by a car. because the guy who sold it to me had taken them off.. than I accidentally ran over them!
But I have the front one still perfectly fine. I will go out and make a video real quick of me starting it, cold ofc. its about 80 F outside or so right now.

IF someone could move me to the other forum section for better response, would be nice!
-Walker

werase643

find the heaviest bar end weights you can find....
fill the handlebars with lead shot

gel seat pad will help the boys
want Iain's money to support my butt in kens shop

GI_JO_NATHAN

Quote from: werase643 on November 02, 2011, 03:57:05 PM
find the heaviest bar end weights you can find....
fill the handlebars with lead shot

gel seat pad will help the boys
This.^

And welcome to the site.
Jonathan
'04 GS500
Quote from: POLLOCK28 (XDTALK.com)From what I understand from frequenting various forums you are handling this critisim completely wrong. You are supposed to get bent out of shape and start turning towards personal attacks.
Get with the program!

SAFE-T

Good undergarments can really take the burn out of your backside  :cheers:

Shaddow

I've never found the my arse hurts after hours on this bike. I just don't get it. I must just have the right shape arse for the bike seat.

J_Walker

Quote from: Shaddow on November 02, 2011, 09:39:37 PM
I've never found the my arse hurts after hours on this bike. I just don't get it. I must just have the right shape arse for the bike seat.

Hah Well considering my bike vibrates WAY more than I think it should, could also be a problem. Cause I can sit on my bum all day in a plastic chair and be fine, my bum doesn't hurt. Sit on the bike for 15 mins, and I feel the soreness!
-Walker

J_Walker

Here's the youtube video, Its kinda long. You only might need up till 4 mins for what you need to hear/look at.
-Walker

25knots

Responding to severe NAS (numb ass syndrome).

I definitely had this problem with the seat on my 96 500e.  After a few hours, I found myself standing on the pegs any time I didn't have to lean the bike.  The solution for me, and its worked quite well, was an Air Hawk air cushion seat. 

http://www.airhawk.net/airhawk-products.aspx

The "small cruiser" model is the one that fits the GS seat best.

Basically its a specially constructed air bag that straps onto your current seat.  Lest you think this is simply a flat air balloon, the seat has specially designed chambers that allow a more equal distribution of pressure over your entire "undercarriage." It also has a valve that allows you to customize the volume of air in the seat, something you'll want to do to fine tune the cushion for your needs. 

This seat is not a gimmick--it definitely works.  I went from taking breaks every 30 minutes to touring all day long just stopping for gas. 

It does have down sides and Ill list them:
1) I don't like the straps that attach the pad to seat.  They work, but are a bit flimsy.
2) You don't feel as locked into the bike as you would just sitting on the bare seat.  Floating on a cushion of air means that your body moves around a bit more during quick maneuvers.  That said, I road some serious twisties (Deals Gap, Blueridge, Squirrel Spur, Cherahola) using the Airhawk and did just fine.
3) The material is a bit slippery and you might find yourself sliding a bit more when wearing textile motorcycle pants.

None of these drawbacks keeps me from recommending the seat.  It solves a big problem with the GS (you're not the only person to dislike the seat) and makes it a much more functional tourer.

Good luck and let me know if it works for you.
He said that most men are in this life like the carpenter, whose work went so slowly from the dullness of his tools that he had not the time to sharpen them.

werase643

squirrel spur and doug spur

i love those twisties

steezin_and_wheezin

squirrel spur over in the blueridge? around hillsville/fancy gap?

love that run, ride it and a few other gap's over there on my freebord every summer
if yer binders ain't squeakin, you ain't tweakin!

25knots

That's the squirrels spur I'm talking about... what great little road!  Also nice in that area is Highway 89 between Mt. Airy and Danbury... but if you ride around that area I'm probably not telling you anything you don't already know. 

What's Doug Spur... or where is Doug Spur?  I haven't heard of that one.
He said that most men are in this life like the carpenter, whose work went so slowly from the dullness of his tools that he had not the time to sharpen them.

yamahonkawazuki

Quote from: SS Adrenaline on November 02, 2011, 10:18:21 AM
So what happened to all the fairings?  It has an oil cooler in the front so it should have been fully faired.  Also you might get some more advice by placing this subject in the general discussion.  There are more people looking there that can help you out.  I have a 2006 and it doesnt rattle that bad at all.  Actually its pretty smooth.  As far as the seat you might wana try adding some padding.  Can you get a vid of it running to show us?  There miight be a problem but I think we would need more information about the machine to narrow it down.
Peace.
some with the cooler were E's not F's
Jan 14 2010 0310 I miss you mom
Vielen dank Patrick. Vielen dank
".
A proud Mormon
"if you come in with the bottom of your cast black,
neither one of us will be happy"- Alan Silverman MD

mitch79

Noticed in your pictures you have no bar end weights. Get some! There there for that exact reason, to dampen vibration in the bars.
The stock Suzuki items are nice and heavy and do a good job.
If you go aftermarket get steel or stainless, not aluminium, need the weight.
Suzuki use an expanding rubber bung retainer for the bar end weights, make sure you buy the right type.

Pro Grip Gel grips also help dampen vibration and reduce fatigue, I like them a lot.
http://www.motorcycle-superstore.com/1/4/68/4503/ITEM/Pro-Grip-719-RVGS-Open-End-Gel-Grip.aspx
2006 GS500F

J_Walker

Well, the handle bars arn't stock the guy I bought it from put on one's that were called 'Low Rise' sport handlebars or something like that.

Also I could use some new clutch handles. and break handle as well.. I dropped the bike, picked it back up. And the kickstand knocked over into itself and fell on the OTHER side.. I hate hills :D anyway if anyone know's where to get new ones lemme know. Maybe some aftermarket black ones.
-Walker

mitch79

Not a lot of aftermarket clutch lever options for the GS other than basic replacements.
If you replace the clutch lever perch with one from a SV650 it opens up a world of options of nice adjustable lever sets. Brake levers are common.
I just fitted a pair of these to my bike with a '09 sv650 clutch perch over the weekend :D
http://www.ebay.com.au/itm/180736856265
2006 GS500F

werase643

Quote from: 25knots on November 04, 2011, 01:43:46 PM
That's the squirrels spur I'm talking about... what great little road!  Also nice in that area is Highway 89 between Mt. Airy and Danbury... but if you ride around that area I'm probably not telling you anything you don't already know. 

What's Doug Spur... or where is Doug Spur?  I haven't heard of that one.

66 is much better than 89  unless they dump oil on the road in the curve up by 268
doug spur is other side of BRP off of 58 over toward buffalo ridge

airnuts

I tried to set mine up for touring and hauling more of my stuff.   Windscreen, tank and saddle bags, old backpack as a tail bag.  The biggest improvement was adding bar risers to handlebar mounts.  They were raised 1" up and 1" back.  This really helped with sitting position and I could go for longer where my ass and my back would not hurt as much.  I then picked up an ATV seat cover from walmart which was one of those cheap and easy add-ons.  Check out TwistedThrottle.com they have some, not many, but some stuff for the GS500e/f (engine guard, tail rack, risers, heated grips).  If your going to ride in the cold (which your pix don't suggest) i recommend heated grips I have Oxfords and they barely draw any power.  you can also get a pair of wind-deflectors from a Suzuki Vstrom1000, fit great on the stock perch although you might need to drill/cut a notch for the clutch cable.  extra lights might be something to look into but they will drain your battery before you know it (forget it don't do it).  But I would get new bars and or bar end weights and you might still be able to use the mirrors.  Good luck have fun!!!!!
Neil

Shaddow

I myself picked up a ventura bag rack from the wreckers for mine, a frggin big ventura bag on sale, tank bag, the bigger windshield and heated grips. Other than maybe a throttle lock to re leave the right wrist to me it doesn't need anything else to big a good tourer. Its great the way it is.
Sure wind deflectors and more lights would be handy but aren't required.

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk