oh y'know, just another build thread.

Started by iamhiding, November 29, 2015, 10:08:04 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Daeouse

Quote from: iamhiding on December 20, 2015, 01:04:08 PM

compression was me being daft having never tested it before, had no idea about needing to hold the throttle open. there was me thinking the gs had nothing left it could teach me lol

Interesting point to remember in the future for me as well. . .

Quote from: iamhiding on December 20, 2015, 01:04:08 PM
hopefully i can pull the dents out the tank, that would be cool. then paintstrip/laquer it.

If the dents are small, and not at a crease point, try dry ice (wrap it in a hand-towel, hold it against the tank, and pass it across the spot slowly. It should make a popping noise when it un-dents). If that doesn't work, try other thermal shock methods.
Jon "MotoSquirrel"
2009 Yamaha V-Star 950
My Blog!

iamhiding

[/quote] If the dents are small, and not at a crease point, try dry ice (wrap it in a hand-towel, hold it against the tank, and pass it across the spot slowly. It should make a popping noise when it un-dents). If that doesn't work, try other thermal shock methods.
[/quote]

thanks i'll have a look into that dude :thumb: at the moment I'm thinking about trying to either hot glue a couple of bits of rod or old allen keys to it, might try epoxy even and just going for the slide hammer technique. or see if i can get a pry bar onto it through the fuel cap. don't have t worry about the paint finish really so that makes it a bit easier.

the reflections probably make it look slightly worse than it is but theres two together, should be able to get the worst of it out but its not a priority at the moment really, i don't mind minor dents and creases too much, it adds a bit of character i reckon.
current project list:
//cbr 600 f3 fighter
//gsxr 1100 mental oldskool supersport
//gs500 daily rat tracker cafe fighter that changes every couple of month... cafe fighter?

iamhiding

sooooo this turned up yesterday :D

pleasantly surprised with the finish although its a bit powdery, think its been a VHT stove paint job although the guy does offer blasting/powdercoating services.

pistons that clean really are a thing of beauty.

found a pile of pads in a spares box for the gsxr.

low and behold! a set of almost new EBC HH's i love it when mr suzuki uses the same parts.

//

now... the downside. after a lot of frustration, swearing and generally being annoyed shall we say thinking the threads in the nipple were stripped i spoke to the seller and he suspects he has given me a nipple for a pre 04 calliper when its a 07 item i bought, think he said one uses a 7mm where as the other uses an 8mm, so he's sending me a nipple to try.

had a look online cross referencing the parts number and post 03 the number don't match any of the pre 04 type models (drz, burghmans etc) so he might be onto something.

the nipple screwed in fine enough but just wouldn't nip up, visually the threads look ok so I'm optimistic about the situation. massive inconvenience when i was needing to get the bike on the road before xmas though. i think what really got me is that i never buy refurbed parts, id much rather save a couple of quid and do the work myself but in this instance timescale and cost made it worthwhile just to run into another problem there shouldn't have been.

yes i could pinch the seals and pistons for the other calliper but i wouldn't want to risk damaging the seals and ending up even worse off, that and its just the principle really. can't believe i chose the option that shove been hassle free just to run into another problem... oh wait, yes i can haha its me and thats just the way it is with anything mechanical isn't it.

//

also been reading up on some engine work, basically its not really going to be worthwhile. wiseco no longer make the 550 kit and the time research and development will take for a custom big bore isn't worthwhile, same goes for the 8v head. camming it isn't an easy one, nor would you expect see good results on a 4v head. still intrigued by high velocity intake porting (reducing intake ports rather than expanding) and the head can still be skimmed to raise compression. the thing with the gs is that parts are easy to come by (generally) and with it being a 2cyl it halves the cost in comparison to working on a 4cyl.

an engine swap would be pretty rad, recently found a gs that had a cbr600 f2 motor in it... can you imagine a gs scrreeeeaaaaming past you at 150? hahaha what a sleeper. not convinced its a good idea but its interesting. the downside is that one of the things i love most about the gs is its twin characteristics. I've got access to a v4 vfr 750 engine i could play with which is more twin like than an inline 4 but i can't justify the need nor are my fabrication skill up to that level. another draw back is the additional weight with the bigger engine, carbs and a cooling system. yet again what makes the gs fun to right is just how little it weighs.
current project list:
//cbr 600 f3 fighter
//gs500 daily rat tracker cafe fighter that changes every couple of month... cafe fighter?

cbrfxr67

oh this interesting,...ok sub'd  :thumb:
"Its something you take apart in 2-3 days and takes 10 years to go back together."
-buddha

iamhiding

Quote from: cbrfxr67 on December 22, 2015, 10:53:07 AM
oh this interesting,...ok sub'd  :thumb:

thanks man :cheers: really looking forward to getting it back on the road for some flat out... going nowhere quick carnage over winter haha
current project list:
//cbr 600 f3 fighter

iamhiding

had planned on using the brake torque arm on the left, i had it lying around from the ace, its alloy/lightweight so why not eh. turns out its just a smidge on the short side, would put too much slack into the brake line making it twist about rather than sitting cleanly so its a no go. drilled a few holes into the gs torque arm just because of the the massive weight savings... y'know... obviously... and definitely not because i think it looks cool :thumb: think it might need a few more but then it might make it obvious just how hilariously off centre they are P=
current project list:
//cbr 600 f3 fighter

Daeouse

someone didn't map the drill-hole properly beforehand. . . LOL!  :thumb:

Good solution.
Jon "MotoSquirrel"
2009 Yamaha V-Star 950
My Blog!

iamhiding

Quote from: Daeouse on December 23, 2015, 01:12:31 PM
someone didn't map the drill-hole properly beforehand. . . LOL!  :thumb:

Good solution.

haha not at all, must of had a squint centre punch  :tongue2: :thumb: nah it was rushed in minus temperatures whilst being a tad ''annoyed'' should've left it for anther day. gs swingarm etc is only temporary until I've picked up an early blade back end for the cbr, then the cbr swinger will be getting mounted on the gs... wow that was tedious to write. can't wait till the gs build is fully underway.
current project list:
//cbr 600 f3 fighter

cbrfxr67

"Its something you take apart in 2-3 days and takes 10 years to go back together."
-buddha

iamhiding

Quote from: cbrfxr67 on December 24, 2015, 07:57:03 AM
more pics!  :police:  :icon_mrgreen:

:police:  :police:  :police: RuuuuuuuuuuuuN! haha

shall do shortly dude  :thumb:

//

so the new nipple the guy was sending out turned up xmas eve, now 1 of 2 things. either it is the right size but the smaller nipple managed to ruin the threads or the threads were the problem and the smaller nipple is the right size. currently the smaller one which used to grip in slightly rattles around and doesn't grip in at all and the larger bites into the first thread but looks to be too big. the sizes are so similar it could be either way here.

my options are

1. wait to send it back which in return will free up the funds to buy pistons and seals at some outrageous price...

2. risk drilling / re-tapping the calliper which means there is no way i can return it and it could leave me massively out of pocket.

3. rob the pistons and seals to use in my old calliper and try get a refund on just the new calliper minus parts.

3, sounds like the easiest option but i can't find the dimensions for the newer pistons to see if theres any difference. 04 onwards uses different parts numbers and the shop i usually use for finding dimensions (wemoto) stocks the part up until 04 but not after that. pre 04 is 38mm OD x 22mm long but i just can't find anything to compare it to without having to faff about tearing the new one apart to see if its a match. i'll just have to do it that way but i haaaaaate working with brake fluid, its a colossal pain in the ass haha

been through countless parts fiches, cross referencing parts numbers and worn out every option trying to get a measurement online.

I've been in one hell of a crap mood over this for days, wouldn't be so fussed but with it being over the xmas holidays nothing is really open so it can't be dealt with and... I'm without transport until its resolved.

raaaaaaaaaaaage!  :mad:

//

got my 152.5 mains to play with once its on the road and an inline petcock to replace all the vacuum nonsense.

//

going to see if i can go pop the pistons out the newer calliper using compressed air and measure them later on, hopefully they are a like for like match between the early and later models. for the record its an 07 calliper and i was running the 00' before, at least there will be a definitive answer for anyone unlucky enough to an in a similar circumstance.

also the calliper / master is shared with the gsxf750, probably a few others as well.
current project list:
//cbr 600 f3 fighter

iamhiding

sooooooo, we have good news  :D

finally found time to pop the new piston out the calliper and it seems to be a match for the earlier ones. its possibly an absolute fraction taller.

seems to be 38mm od like the older gen

seems to be slightly taller like i said, could have been the surface i was working on though.

not sure if the guy i bought the calliper from has actually turned out new pistons or just refinished. either way the new piston isn't magnetic... therefor its stainless  :icon_mrgreen: bonus!

new shiny nipple definitely seems to be larger than the old style. bit of a pain but my digital vernier for measuring stopped working tonight so i couldn't accurately take measurements on anything.

//

so tomorrow i think i might tidy up and paint my old calliper. don't really need to but I've got some time to play with so why not.  :thumb: hopefully the garage i mot at is open on monday :wink:
current project list:
//cbr 600 f3 fighter

iamhiding

:woohoo: bikes good to.

couldn't be bothered giving it a paint haha

something to note about early vs late rear brakes: same pistons, different seals... managed to salvage one set and i had a new set spare, got lucky there.

didn't get so lucky here, tightening it up in a vice, it slipped and tore off the lever... balls! going to see if i can sort something out with the seller. not happy with the quality of it.

couple of pics. just because  :D

dislike the gap where the original speedo would occupy, can't really do much about it with this headlight setup. might try raise it just to see what like. that or flip the headlight brackets upside down.

just remembered, need to get the r/r relocated.

probably the best angle. do like the exposed subframe look. i'll be ditching the mirror and the chain guard after its mot'd.
current project list:
//cbr 600 f3 fighter

cbrfxr67

:thumb: me likey the last pic,....and what is the thumb fitting valve and nipples for?  Maybe I should read back,.... :2guns:
-buddha

iamhiding

Quote from: cbrfxr67 on December 28, 2015, 09:02:12 AM
:thumb: me likey the last pic,....and what is the thumb fitting valve and nipples for?  Maybe I should read back,.... :2guns:

haha well its an inline petcock/tap for the fuel, i replaced a faulty 1st gen vacuum petcock years back for a 2nd gen which will eventually fail. i actually quite like the vacuum setup, think its really quite clever but on the other hand its unnecessary clutter. guess I'm just looking to simplify the fuel system, improve an area of potential failure and remove all possibility of fuel starvation.

bought another valve to use the other 1/4'' bsp fittings, only a couple of quid and should be much sturdier than that nylon handled one.
current project list:
//cbr 600 f3 fighter

iamhiding

small update //

got this wee valve to replace the one o managed to break prior to fitting... thinking about cable tying it to the clutch cable so its nice and accessible, maybe not though, just have to see how it works out.

i actually wrote an update post ages ago but the internet went down and i lost it :technical:

anyway, hit a major setback regarding insurance. basically I've got all my bikes on one multi bike policy which ends feb 1st, to add the gs onto the policy for 4 weeks they wanted £80... when it would cost me £130 to insure it for the year with them normally, which equates to about 11.50 a month not the 80 they want for one month  :cookoo: being a young(ish) guy most companies won't touch me because of the mods, who I'm with is the only company i can get decent quotes with as they don't charge for mods. they kind of have the market cornered in that regard. plus i can only use my ncb bonus on one policy at a time. long story short it would cost me 200+ a year if i just started another policy without the ncb. can't exactly not declare mods on a bike that doesn't look or sound standard either. so... I've got to wait until my old policy is up until i can insure the gs :sad: not quite as annoyed as i was but it almost defeats the purpose of building a winter bike up but hey at least its a good starting point for the rest of the build.

yeugh... pain in the arse. well i'll get the fuelling sorted and hopefully get the ace shock on before long whilst finding time between the other projects. just annoyed that I've put a significant amount of time into it and a splash of money that could have been used elsewhere to run into a problem so incredibly mundane.

so this time I'm going to copy this update just incase the internet loops out on me again haha really need to do that with all the updates just incase. theres nothing worse.

oh possibly have my hands on a set of 36mm vfr750 carbs to split and modify for the gs :thumb:
current project list:
//cbr 600 f3 fighter

iamhiding

only 18 days until i can insure the wee beastie... this is torture... send help.
current project list:
//cbr 600 f3 fighter

iamhiding

current project list:
//cbr 600 f3 fighter

Daeouse

Jon "MotoSquirrel"
2009 Yamaha V-Star 950
My Blog!

iamhiding

haha I'm going :cookoo:

had a couple of wee rips about the streets here when I've had stuff to do around the village, its a peppy little thing that you can just throw about without much regard, missed it so much. its weird being on a bike that only does 40 in 1st and you're used to double that on some serious machines :icon_mrgreen: but it is what it is and its damn a damn good little bike.

got my hands on some brutal paint stripper for when i get round to doing the tank, the kind that can't be bought off the shelf in the uk :thumb:

current project list:
//cbr 600 f3 fighter

iamhiding

well, last night i finally made an effort to swap over the old bent trials bars for a set of imitation renthals i was gifted.
bit of an arse of a job as the left hand side heated grip had been hammered on as it was very tight fitting :icon_rolleyes: a couple of years ago haha, that was fun to remove.

you can see how different the geometry is between the road bars and trials, the road bars have much more backsweep and a lot less rise which is much more suited to the riding position but it looks less badass & madmax if you will, something i liked about my gs.

new bars are 29'' rather than the 32''ers that were on there before, not loving the loss of width as it looks much less meaty but for the minute i rode it it felt much more suited. it would probably be even better if i removed the risers but the length of the brake cable would be far too long unfortunately.

doesn't look terrible anyway.

still need to relocate the speedo to the other side of the bars to clear the area and fill in the gap of the original speedo.

threw a bungee net over the back seat... because, well i had it sitting haha

also gave it a clean earlier on that day, i say 'clean' but really the pressure washer (from a healthy distance) ripped off a bit of wheel paint and swingarm paint. not fussed really as its a bit of a rat until the real work begins with the front end swap etc.

bit of snow late this morning once the blizzard stopped. 60mph winds... plus snow... eek!

just a shame i couldn't get out for a slide around.

//

thats my insurance up as of tomorrow midnight! so i can get the gs insured starting monday and hopefully get it in for an mot the same day :thumb: tried calling my garage up but they're closed over the weekend yeugh. glad to finally be getting on the road again, its been a long couple of months.
current project list:
//cbr 600 f3 fighter

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk