Author Topic: New rider/owner of a gs500e k2  (Read 88 times)

Offline BenPier

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Local Club Racer
New rider/owner of a gs500e k2
« on: April 15, 2018, 07:36:48 PM »
Has anyone got and solutions to not having a fuel gauge, I'm a new rider and owner of a gs 500 and was just wondering how could I go about installing one if it is even possible

Offline mr72

• World Superbike Racer
  • Musician, Engineer, Sci-Fi Author
    • Josh's Books
Re: New rider/owner of a gs500e k2
« Reply #1 on: April 15, 2018, 08:13:35 PM »
A fuel gauge is really not practical for a motorcycle. Use the trip odometer. Reset when you fill up, figure out many miles you can go (or kms, dunno where you are) before it goes to reserve, then remember that number and refill before that.

For me my bike has to be switched to reserve between 130 and 150 miles after a fill up. I typically start thinking about refueling when the trip odo says 120 miles.

Offline gregjet

• AMA Superbike Racer
« Reply #2 on: April 15, 2018, 09:12:44 PM »
Most modern motorcycles don't even have a reserve. They do have a fuel guage but it is more often than not very inaccurate on a motorcycle because it leans ( and they are crap as well ).
Tripmeter is the only semireliable refill indicator.

Offline Watcher

• What is this? I always know...
  • World Superbike Racer
  • MSF RiderCoach and Moto Enthusiast!
« Reply #3 on: April 16, 2018, 06:57:48 AM »
My Ducati has a low fuel light that warns me when I've got about half a gallon left.

I almost never get to it, nor do I trust it to always come on, so I go by mileage.

The GSs have that handy little reserve function.  Just remember that if you switch to it you should switch back to ON when you refill.
"The point of a journey is not to arrive..."

-Neil Peart

Online Kookas

• AMA Supersport Racer
« Reply #4 on: April 16, 2018, 12:54:50 PM »
Most modern motorcycles don't even have a reserve. They do have a fuel guage but it is more often than not very inaccurate on a motorcycle because it leans ( and they are crap as well ).
Tripmeter is the only semireliable refill indicator.http://gstwins.com/gsboard/index.php?action=logout;e01ba66=9055dbd7532f5ee26b4e88072452171f

I think they usually do have a 'reserve', but only in the sense that cars also have it, i.e. it's just the extra fuel you have after the fuel gauge shows completely empty. My scooter's fuel gauge literally just kept dropping below the zero line and that was its 'reserve'. Still needs you to actually notice it though!

I think they could theoretically make an accurate fuel gauge for a bike if they used a standard float-type measure in conjunction with an electronic gyroscope to allow them to compensate for the effect of lean. Whether any bikes actually do this though, I don't know.
« Last Edit: April 16, 2018, 12:55:57 PM by Kookas »

Offline Bluesmudge

• Trade Count: (+4)
  • World Superbike Racer
« Reply #5 on: April 16, 2018, 05:40:50 PM »
Just get used to turning on reserve while you ride. The bike will start to act like it's low on fuel, reach down and switch to reserve, then know you have 30 - 40 miles to find a fuel station. If you don't like that just do as others have said and make sure to get gas before the mileage you would typically hit reserve. This works great in all vehicles since most fuel injected vehicles seem to have a wildly safe "low fuel" setting. I guess manufacturers don't want their vehicles to been seen on the side of the road.
« Last Edit: April 16, 2018, 05:43:03 PM by Bluesmudge »

Offline gregjet

• AMA Superbike Racer
« Reply #6 on: April 16, 2018, 08:05:29 PM »
Kookas,
I am pretty sure you are right that an accurate fuel guage could be developed. Just that it would too expensive for cheapskate motorcycle manufacturers and isn't exactly a big selling point.
Bluesmudge,
Running a fuel injection dry is not a particularly good idea for the injectors, tends to damage them or shorten their life at the least and they are thievingly expensive for something maunfactured in the hundreds of thousands.

Offline cbrfxr67

• Some day I'll finish my projects
  • Trade Count: (+3)
  • MotoGP Racer
« Reply #7 on: April 16, 2018, 09:25:38 PM »
..... I'm a new rider and owner of a gs 500,...
where pics? :dunno_black:
"Its something you take apart in 2-3 days and takes 10 years to go back together."
-buddha