News:

Need a manual?  Buy a Haynes manual Here

Main Menu

EBC performance brakes

Started by Watcher, July 17, 2018, 09:09:00 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Watcher

Figured this warranted a separate post.

Holy CRAP the brakes I just put on the Ducati are good!

I got EBCs, the official code is EPFA-###-HH, they're the sintered "Fast Street and Trackday" pads.
Along with this I got some RedLine RL-600 DOT 4 brake fluid, which according to the bottle is "For passenger vehicles, as well as racing car and motorcycles, track day project cars and other motorsport activity", and has very impressive wet/dry boiling point numbers compared to other DOT 4 fluids that were available.

Flushed the front and rear (and the clutch too, why not?), gave the bike an oil change while it was up on the stands and I had my tools out, and just got back from the test-ride.

Feels like a brand new bike!  The factory Brembos always felt good to me, not quite Buell ZTL good but really good compared to almost every other motorcycle I've ever ridden.
Now?  I think they might be as good if not better than the ZTL!
To put it in perspective, I am actually intimidated enough by the front end braking performance that I haven't used more than 2-fingers yet.  It looked like it was going to rain, so I raced home.  Not that I minded getting wet, but I'm actually scared of the brakes enough to not want to test them in the wet just yet.

Anyone looking for improved braking performance, I know the factory Nissin brakes the GS has aren't anything special but some SS lines, some good brake fluid, and some high quality brake pads might just surprise you.

Tomorrow I'm going to have to practice some emergency stops.  As is I think reflexively I'll end up doing a front-flip if a car pulls out in front of me!
"The point of a journey is not to arrive..."

-Neil Peart

crackin

Quote from: Watcher on July 17, 2018, 09:09:00 PM
Tomorrow I'm going to have to practice some emergency stops.  As is I think reflexively I'll end up doing a front-flip if a car pulls out in front of me!
Well if you hit said car, you most likely will do a front flip. lol
But on a serious note, I don't have any issue with the stock brakes on the GS. I can get the rear wheel off the ground and stepping out going in to corners with stock brake front brake line and what ever crappy brake pads i have in there atm. I think they are EBC but not sure.
The GS has a fairly large front disc for it's age and it's not hard to endo the bike IMO. Sure you have to squeeze them hard but it will lock up if you squeeze hard enough. It's all about the feel, and obviously riding a ducati with brembo calipers cannot be compared with riding a GS500.
It's chalk and cheese.
No matter what i do to it, it's still a GS
It's not how fast your bike is, it's how long you are prepared to hold the throttle on.

J_Walker

on my 02 SV, I had a full brake system, it is very nice. but good brakes and crap tires, especially on motorcycles are dangerous. too easy in my opinion for the front tire to start slipping.

and by crap tires I mean anything middleground and lower, aka your touring/street tires.
-Walker

Watcher

Quote from: J_Walker on July 19, 2018, 10:08:29 AM
and by crap tires I mean anything middleground and lower, aka your touring/street tires.

Using the Mich Road 5 on the Duc, they hook up rather impressively.

Quote from: crackin on July 19, 2018, 04:45:56 AM
I don't have any issue with the stock brakes on the GS. I can get the rear wheel off the ground and stepping out going in to corners with stock brake front brake line and what ever crappy brake pads i have in there atm.

I was never impressed with the GSs braking ability, I've always considered it "adequate."  I've no doubt you could perform a stoppie, I think pretty much any "sport" bike can so long as there's nothing  mechanically wrong with the system and the rider knows what they're doing.  But how much effort does that take, and where is the lever in regards to the hand grip during it?  Almost touching?

Just another case of "you get what you pay for."
"The point of a journey is not to arrive..."

-Neil Peart

sledge

But on a serious note, ............ I can get the rear wheel off the ground

Really?........I guess someone out there will be impressed  :dunno_black:

Kookas

The GS500 front brakes are adequate but I do find I have to pull them further back than I'd like. Same for the clutch (even after an adjustment - just feels like the 'biting range' is way too big).

crackin

Quote from: sledge on July 19, 2018, 11:04:26 AM

But on a serious note, ............ I can get the rear wheel off the ground

Really?........I guess someone out there will be impressed  :dunno_black:
Yeah, it's well impressive.
No matter what i do to it, it's still a GS
It's not how fast your bike is, it's how long you are prepared to hold the throttle on.

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk