1998 gs500 not starting with starter motor or bump start

Started by Jaminindisguise, November 30, 2018, 03:32:48 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Jaminindisguise

Hi. There are probably a few posts on here about this but I'm sure you won't mind another one.

The issue I'm having is my bike won't start. I've been having issues with my bike not starting before and lately I was suspecting the battery due to the starter solenoid clicking and the bike struggling to start but would start when connecting one of those usb jumpstarters.
Got a new battery today and put it in went to start it to check everything was ok. Nothing. Neutral light and oil light come on but when pressing the start button there was nothing. No clicks from the starter solenoid either. Checked I was in neutral side stand up kill switch in the run position nothing. I even tried pulling the clutch in despite there not being a clutch switch.
I tried bump starting it by going down a hill that I've successfully bump started on before. Engine turned over, oil light went out, hit the start button and gave it some throttle and still nothing. Did this 3 times and I gave up. Didn't want to push the bike back up the hill again.
So I start trouble shooting the electrics. I've ruled out the starter solenoid because it's not getting 12v from the yellow and green wire from the start button (yes I had the key on before you ask) checked the orange and white wire which I'm assuming provides 12v to the start button, coils and ignition module. It showed 0v. I don't know where orange and white gets it's 12v (if it's supposed to be 12v) because it only connects to the 3 components I mentioned earlier and the kill switch.

So has anyone got any advice on what to do? Are my assumptions on the orange and white being 12v correct? Where does it get this from ( can't see anything on the wiring diagram other than through the side stand relay)

Thanks

Jaminindisguise

I sorted it now. With the luck of you ask someone else and look a fool you solve it. It was the side stand relay which isn't working properly so is cutting 12v to the organe and white and thus making the whole ignition system dead

herennow

Congrats on finding the problem. Did you replace the switch or bypass it?

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk