Author Topic: ShowBizWolf's '98 GS  (Read 9616 times)

Offline cbrfxr67

• Some day I'll finish my projects
  • Trade Count: (+3)
  • World Superbike Racer
Re: ShowBizWolf's '98 GS
« Reply #400 on: September 14, 2017, 09:42:32 AM »
Everybody should have one of those.  We used to give that style away free with something, I forget what, but I have one at home along with eight other different ones.  Super handy and in case you need a jump, it'll do that too!  Good price on that one Show :thumb:
"Its something you take apart in 2-3 days and takes 10 years to go back together."
-buddha

Offline cbrfxr67

• Some day I'll finish my projects
  • Trade Count: (+3)
  • World Superbike Racer
« Reply #401 on: September 27, 2017, 08:59:31 AM »
You all finished show? No morez updates? :cry:
"Its something you take apart in 2-3 days and takes 10 years to go back together."
-buddha

Offline ShowBizWolf

• Ninja turtle...in a van
  • Trade Count: (+6)
  • MotoGP Racer
  • Support Shelly's rescue at tinykittens.com
« Reply #402 on: September 27, 2017, 02:56:29 PM »
I feel the same way lol  :icon_sad:

The next thing on the list is still the front fork project... sonic springs and new inner tubes, seals, oil etc... but I've been paying down my credit card before I buy more stuff. I'm getting there!!

The cheapest I could find new inner tubes is a bit over $300. I'm hoping to buy them and the springs (I already have the seals, wipers and oil) in October and get working on it.

I did do a bit of body work on my van this past weekend... I want to put the pics in the other thread I started in O&E section. :thumb:
Superbike bars, '04 GSXR750 headlight w/LED H7, '01 GSXR1000 signals, Chuck81 fork brace, '05 Busa fender, stainless exhaust & brake lines, LED dash & brake bulbs, 140/80 rear hoop, F tail lens, fenderectomy, R6 shock, 25mm raising links, underglow, Bandit400 hugger, aluminum heel guards and pegs

Offline ShowBizWolf

• MotoGP Racer
« Reply #403 on: October 11, 2017, 06:41:44 PM »
Turtle Van needed a transmission rebuild last week so my fork plans have been pushed back once again... I did go ahead and finally buy the .75 sonic springs though.

Rode the bike harder and faster than I normally do today... a lot actually... and my license plate brackets I made 5 years ago broke at some point... lost my plate somewhere :technical: :technical: :technical: :technical: :technical:
Superbike bars, '04 GSXR750 headlight w/LED H7, '01 GSXR1000 signals, Chuck81 fork brace, '05 Busa fender, stainless exhaust & brake lines, LED dash & brake bulbs, 140/80 rear hoop, F tail lens, fenderectomy, R6 shock, 25mm raising links, underglow, Bandit400 hugger, aluminum heel guards and pegs

Offline peteGS

• Das alte knacker !
  • Trade Count: (0)
  • World Supersport Racer
  • Zuks rock!
« Reply #404 on: October 12, 2017, 04:07:20 PM »
Oooops! Are they aluminium? I made my flyscreen brackets from some 0.8mm aluminium and the vibration/flex caused the left one to break on the bend lines... added a second layer for some reinforcement and they're now going strong  :thumb:

I also had a tail light bracket made out of 2.5mm aluminium which I thought was strong enough, but it also broke on a (curved) bend line after a while due to vibration/flex. That tail light was a little on the heavy side though.

Lesson learnt... if a bracket needs to carry weight, has bends, and will be subject to vibration or flex, use steel not aluminium.

Funnily enough my front mudguard mount which doubles as a sort of brace is made from the same 2.5mm aluminium and it's still going strong. When I bent it though, I made the bends very round.

Anyway, just a little hijack there ;)
'82 GS450E

Offline ShowBizWolf

• MotoGP Racer
« Reply #405 on: October 12, 2017, 04:46:03 PM »
Glad to see you're still checkin' in on me Pete!!

Yeah they were aluminum. Here in the Rust Belt, I don't use steel for much at all. I actually like how aluminum can bend a few times and then break because I don't have many proper cutting tools at my dad's shop for when I do body work on the side... dunno why it didn't occur to me that the same stinkin' thing would happen with these brackets. Hurr durr lol

Now I'm kinda thinking about getting a custom one that says something like SHOBZ or SBWLF etc.... dunno though cuz it's more moneyyyy

Offline peteGS

• Das alte knacker !
  • World Supersport Racer
  • Zuks rock!
« Reply #406 on: October 13, 2017, 04:10:15 PM »
Haha always checkin' ShowBiz!  :icon_razz:

I like working with aluminium for the same reasons, but I've learnt where and where not to use it.

As long as it's either got curved bends, lots of support, or it's completely flat it'll be fine. Thickness makes a big difference too. There are different grades but I'm not too sure on that side of things.

All I know is if it's going to be flexing/vibrating and hold any sort of weight (even a number plate), either get it supported or use steel. If you use galvanised steel it will help prevent the rusting, but best still to get some etch primer and paint on it.
'82 GS450E

Offline Big Rich

• Trade Count: (+8)
  • Motorcycle God!
« Reply #407 on: October 13, 2017, 06:10:28 PM »
One of the machines where I work has a large ladder / work platform (the ones that have spring loaded wheels underneath) and it's made of aluminum. Well, the operator of the machine smashed into the ladder with a 5 ton piece..... I was standing next to the guy from machine repair when the operator said "it's just aluminum, bend it back!". I told the operator "thick aluminum bends ONE time, and you've obviously used your turn!".
83 GR650 (riding / rolling project)

It's opener there in the wide open air...

Offline mr72

• World Supersport Racer
  • Musician, Engineer, Sci-Fi Author
    • Josh's Books
« Reply #408 on: October 14, 2017, 07:53:57 AM »
If you use galvanised steel it will help prevent the rusting, but best still to get some etch primer and paint on it.

Galvanized steel is notoriously difficult or impossible to paint. FYI. It takes specific paint chemistry to stick, in addition to unusual surface prep. Mostly the problem is nearly all common rattle can type paints are alkyd enamels these days and they absolutely will not stick to galvanized metal. Rust-Oleum, krylon, etc. Etching primer is a must. Then a compatible topcoat.

Offline ShowBizWolf

• MotoGP Racer
« Reply #409 on: October 14, 2017, 01:17:09 PM »
I'm certainly a fan of etching primer! :D

Offline peteGS

• Das alte knacker !
  • World Supersport Racer
  • Zuks rock!
« Reply #410 on: October 14, 2017, 04:58:20 PM »
Yes indeed mr72! Galvanised can be a PITA, just did some with some aluminium yesterday... self etching primer + primer surfacer then satin black top coat. I looked into Rustoleum but not compatible with it so I used a local brand (Septone). I've used their self etching primer on galvanised before with good success.
'82 GS450E