Author Topic: Key Broken - Stuck in Ignition + My Only Copy  (Read 71 times)

Offline iosvista

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Local Club Racer
Key Broken - Stuck in Ignition + My Only Copy
« on: October 12, 2017, 08:07:57 PM »
Hey folks,

My only key (something that I took for granted) snapped in two in the ignition today. After about 5 hours of grunting and sighing, trying to get it out with paper clips, sewing needles and a donated flathead screwdriver dontated by a kind Good Samaritan, I am forced to lock up the bike at the gas station with a “please do not tow me...please” note and head home.

I have a family member coming out to help in morning. Meanwhile, anyone have any thoughts on how to get this thing out of the ignition?

It seems like it will come out just the slightest bit before it feels like it is kind of hitting something on the way out. I imagine this is a tumbler?

Offline Watcher

• What is this? I always know...
  • World Superbike Racer
  • MSF RiderCoach!
Re: Key Broken - Stuck in Ignition + My Only Copy
« Reply #1 on: October 12, 2017, 09:31:26 PM »
Yeah, probably a tumbler holding it back.

I had a key break off in the gas cap that I was able to remove with a pair of very fine needle-nose pliers.

The greater challenge may be getting a replacement made...
"The point of a journey is not to arrive..."

-Neil Peart

Offline yamahonkawazuki

• Resident MonoPod
  • Global Moderator
  • Trade Count: (+3)
  • Motorcycle God!
  • -Ich singe fur den herrn
« Reply #2 on: October 12, 2017, 09:38:20 PM »
ive had this happen before. as a bench jeweler by training i made use of some VERY fine tweezers. pull while turning gently. usually  works.. and depending upon where it broke lff at on the key, many times a competent locksmith can cut its replacement  by using whats left. it had been years since that day but was able to cut one using an old subaru blank. ( if i can remember its number ill update it. those blanks are still available.)
Aaron
Jan 14 2010 0310 I miss you mom
Vielen dank Patrick. Vielen dank
".
A proud Mormon
"if you come in with the bottom of your cast black,
neither one of us will be happy"- Alan Silverman MD

Offline iosvista

• Local Club Racer
« Reply #3 on: October 13, 2017, 11:55:02 AM »
Welp, its been nearly 24 hours now and I'm in no better shape than when it first happened. My father ended up coming out (somehow pops always fixes everything) and even he couldnt get it. We did exactly what you are suggesting, using two very thin jewelers screwdrivers, and tried a pair of fine needlenose pliers as well. No luck. The locksmith is coming out in a few hours to take a wack at it. If he cant get it I believe I am going to winterize her if I can and store it for the winter.

Cant afford this nonsense right now.

Sigh

Offline mr72

• World Supersport Racer
  • Musician, Engineer, Sci-Fi Author
    • Josh's Books
« Reply #4 on: October 13, 2017, 12:45:18 PM »
Whatever you wind up doing, I think your cheapest/best option is to replace the ignition switch/lock, tank lock (you broke the only key!) and helmet lock. You can buy a complete set of these things with a new key pretty cheap.

Hardest part of the whole job would be picking the tank lock so you an get it open letting you remove the fuel cap assy, and of course removing the ignition switch because of the &#$@!#$ break-off bolts they use to put it in. Plus I think you have to remove at least the top triple clamp, which means the whole handlebars, controls, etc. Such a pain.

If the ignition switch was not in the "LOCK" position, meaning you can turn the handlebars and steer it, then you can probably just disconnect the ignition switch and hotwire it to get it started so you can ride it to wherever you need to get it and repair it. Or you could always just hide a on/off switch somewhere on the bike and use that in lieu of the ignition switch. You are still going to have to replace the tank lock, even before you can "winterize" it.