Author Topic: Best place for GS parts?  (Read 336 times)

Offline bumpy

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Local Club Racer
Best place for GS parts?
« on: December 10, 2017, 07:09:51 AM »
Anyone recommend a place to get GS parts? Thinking of rebuilding my bike, after 57000k it'll be due for an overhaul

Offline peteGS

• Das alte knacker !
  • World Supersport Racer
  • Zuks rock!
Re: Best place for GS parts?
« Reply #1 on: December 10, 2017, 08:05:08 PM »
57K? It's a GS, that's only just broken in :D

I deal with Mick Hone out of Victoria, primarily being because they're experts with Kats and give great service, they also happen to have pretty good prices.

If I'm buying a bunch of bits I find it's still cheaper with postage than buying them locally here in Brissie. Depends where you are I guess...
'82 GS450E

Offline Joolstacho

• AMA Superbike Racer
    • www.gigarboxblues.com.au
« Reply #2 on: December 10, 2017, 10:32:09 PM »
You shouldn't have too much problem getting Suzi parts via your local Suzuki dealer.
I agree with Pete, that's not a big mileage for a GS as long as it's been serviced and not thrashed.
If you don't know it's service history I'd want to put a new camchain tensioner in it (because they're not expensive, but when they fail it can literally wreck the engine).
Check valve shims, do those sort of jobs, but unless there are 'orrible noises or performance issues, an "overhaul" is probably not needed.
Obviously, go over things like brakes, chain and sprockets etc.

Yes, Mick Hone are good  http://www.mickhone.com.au/
But depends where you are I guess. There are good online parts fishies on Mick's site.
Beam me up Scottie....

Offline bumpy

• Local Club Racer
« Reply #3 on: December 11, 2017, 04:07:52 AM »
Thanks guys. Doesn't seem to make any real unusual noises, just got to check the charging system, my battery doesn't seem to stay charged enough, but i also don't ride the bike every day. I have thought of throwing in a new tensioner, in it, maybe even a new timing chain, get the valve shims done, and maybe the carbs checked over. I runs pretty good, but sometimes it feels a little sluggish pulling out of corners.

Offline peteGS

• Das alte knacker !
  • World Supersport Racer
  • Zuks rock!
« Reply #4 on: December 11, 2017, 07:58:30 PM »
New timing chain isn't as simple as it sounds... they run in the centre of the motor between the cylinders, so if you use an endless chain (recommended), you will be removing the top end and splitting the crank cases so you can remove the crank to replace the chain.

The manual should have the service details for the chain, which is measuring how much it has stretched. Check that rather than just replacing it, they should last quite well.

My GS450 motor had 96K kms on it when I rebuilt it, the chain had not stretched, but I replaced it anyway as I had it dismantled. It's a lot of effort to go through if it doesn't need replacing... and I found out afterwards that the gear shifting issue I had was the shift linkage, not the gearbox... so I didn't need to rebuilt it  :technical:

The rest, pretty much what Jools said, especilly in regards to valve clearances, they're quite important and pretty simple.

The 500 is a little different to my 450, although I haven't actually ridden one to compare the feel... however on my 450 if the revs are under about 5K she always feels a little sluggish... they're small capacity parallel twins so they're designed to rev a bit higher than that for the best response  ;)

Oh, and balance the carbs! That can make a big difference too.

Also worth testing compression, but don't bother with that until you know the valve clearances are good.
'82 GS450E

Offline Joolstacho

• AMA Superbike Racer
    • www.gigarboxblues.com.au
« Reply #5 on: December 11, 2017, 10:36:48 PM »
Pete I agree in a perfect world endless camchain is ideal 'best practice', but in the real world, a riveted link works just fine.
My mechanic mate Jacko has done literally hundreds with riveted joins, and hasn't had a failure yet.
Beam me up Scottie....

Offline peteGS

• Das alte knacker !
  • World Supersport Racer
  • Zuks rock!
« Reply #6 on: December 12, 2017, 08:23:04 PM »
Actually yeah rivetted should be fine indeed... for some reason I always think master link style, but that's not gonna happen for a timing chain, at least I hope not!  :icon_eek:
'82 GS450E

Offline asterixj91

• Local Club Racer
« Reply #7 on: February 19, 2018, 01:52:38 PM »
hey, new to the forum. i've got a 1997 gs500e in brisbane. wondering if there are any places for parts? or any wreckers in QLD?