GS500E 1992 frame with GS500F 2004 tank, and seat question

Started by adoptme, April 18, 2020, 06:46:02 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

adoptme

Any suggestions on this would be much appreciated.

Have a 1992 GS500E frame and need to replace a few parts, bike has been sitting for a decade. Got a 2004 GS500F tank which our team is trying to wrangle onto the 1992 frame. But now the issue is the seat.

a) Do you think with the new 2004 tank, that the 1992 OEM seat will fit the 2004 tank?
b) Would we need to get a new 2004 seat? If so, would the 2004 or newer seats fit the 1992 frame?

Any suggestions would be much appreciated. Else, we would need to do a few custom bolts, but currently trying to not weld too much.
'85 VT250F,  '92 GS500E, & Moto Guzzi V7II Special Scrambler

mr72

You can cut the front edge off of the seat and fix up the upholstery and it'll work. Look at my build thread, did the same thing couple of years ago.
(Sorry the pictures are broken, I may go fix later today)
http://gstwins.com/gsboard/index.php?topic=71055.msg854440#msg854440

Or just find a 01+ seat, but it won't fit with the older side plastics etc, if that matters.

adoptme

Thanks for the advice. Was planning to reupholster the seat regardless. The Corbin that we have is cracking, so, maybe we can alter the seat. Good idea. Thanks. Would love to see your bike, can you post the photos up when you have the chance, I'll continue to look at the link within the next few days. Thank you again.

We are not planning to put the rear cowls back. Likely will sell those either here or on eBay. If worse comes to worse will do some small alterations to make it an urban café fighter. But the idea of just getting a 2001> is a great idea. Either that or some café racer seat, and try to use the old seat mount. Just need to get the bike running at this stage. It's been sitting for so long.
'85 VT250F,  '92 GS500E, & Moto Guzzi V7II Special Scrambler

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk