News:

Registration Issues: email manjul.bose at gmail for support - seems there is a issue that we're still trying to fix

Main Menu

Exhaust too Loud! Neighbors call the cops!

Started by OPTheory, October 10, 2007, 11:33:24 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

OPTheory

Yeah.  Seriously.  They called the cops...

Last night I was taking my bike out for a spin.  I'm a beginner and I wanted to feel the rush - I was having withdrawals.  The bike isn't even legal yet so I went to a church parking lot to practice various MSF maneuvers and ride through a mostly residential area trying to get a feel for the bike.  My friend was there in the parking lot, playing guitar and watching me, when it came around 10:30 PM I decided to head back home because I had a feeling I might be waking up some people with my extremely loud Vance and Hines exhaust - I told him to meet me there.  He nodded but continued to jam in his brights.  So I go home, which is just a couple of blocks away.  My friend calls...

"Dude, the cops came"
"Are you serious?"
"Yeah they said they had a few noise complaints from around the area."
"Well, are we in trouble?"
"Nope.  They came about 30 seconds after you made your exit from the parking lot.  They were confused because I was just sitting there playing a guitar but there was supposed to be a motorcycle.  So I told them I saw some kid on a bike just going around the neighborhood but hadn't seen him lately.  Even they were wondering 'why are we even out here in the first place? it's not even 11 o'clock yet which is when the noise ordinance is in effect.' "

Also, today my brother told me that his friend's Mom, who lives across the street from us was complaining about it and was about to call the cops.  I live in a place like that where people don't have a second thought about calling the police for the smallest of things - but what can you do...

So... basically I need to know what is a quiet exhaust for the GS500?  I have a 1989 model with a Vance and Hines and it is TOO MUCH LOUD.  Oh, and if anyone has a quiet exhaust and they want a vance and hines on their bike, I am open for trades!

galahs

Unlucky mate!

I'd be pissed if my neighbours did that to me.

You could always go stock.

If you want a less restrictive than stock exhaust, I'd be looking at a stock can from a bigger bike.

Kasumi

My bike is very very loud, still legal tho apparently - its stamped. It must be right at the top end though because other bikers on biker rallies can hear me coming :) or when they're riding with me can still hear my exhaust from the pack of bikes lol. I've never had a complain although i do try to be quiet when i come back from work past midnight.
Custom Kawasaki ZXR 400

Jared

When the 2nd Amendment is lost, the rest will soon follow.

Torque is LBs-FT Damn it.
Yeah that was me.    One of my rides

Kasumi

Its almost new  :dunno_white:  Its not too loud that its disturbing people i mean ive heard MUCH louder its just louder than most but its a niceeee sound. Sounds like OP'Theory could do with repacking his exhaust because if you have an aftermarket road one it should meet noise levels sounds to me like somethings up. Its not hard to repack an exhaust either. All it is in the packing is basically loft insulation but with increased fireproof ness.
Custom Kawasaki ZXR 400

Oklahoma_Mike

2001 Bandit 1200S Red

How a politician stands on the Second Amendment tells you how he or she views you as an individual; as a trustworthy and productive citizen, or as part of an unruly crowd that needs to be lorded over, controlled, supervised, and taken care of. - Dr. Suzanna Gratia Hupp

bombadillo

I also have a drilled stock exhaust to trade.
GS500E with a bunch of cool stuff!

OPTheory

Sorry guys!  :dunno_white:

The deal is off.  I opened it up and long story short there was practically no stuffing inside the muffler which explains why its soooo loud.  Now where do I get some good packing material?

frankieG

i had the exact thing happen to me one.  but luckily i was deputy mayor of the city at the time.  be polite and let it pass
liberal camerican
living in beautiful new port richey florida
i have a beautiful gf(not anymore)
former navy bubble head (JD is our patran saint)

werase643

Quote from: OPTheory on October 11, 2007, 03:26:43 PM
Sorry guys!  :dunno_white:

The deal is off.  I opened it up and long story short there was practically no stuffing inside the muffler which explains why its soooo loud.  Now where do I get some good packing material?

go up in the attic and steal some insulation wrap it gud and tight and use wire ties  or safety wire to keep it tight
want Iain's money to support my butt in kens shop

Kasumi

^^^^^ What he said

Basically packing in the exhaust is just loft insulation.
Custom Kawasaki ZXR 400

RobTheTyrant

I have damn near the same thing happen to me EVERY weekend... well, almost.  Whenever my band practices the cops show up.  We practice sundays, noon to 4PM... not a big deal right?  Well the same people keep filing complaints and well it's come to the point where we're going to file a harassment complaint because we have a court order they the people who keep calling the 5-0 signed saying we get to practice on sunday, from noon to 4.   :2guns:

Sorry to thread jack  O0
Grind the pegs down with asphault!

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk