Rejetting prices, details, and O rings

Started by The Buddha, April 11, 2008, 12:31:31 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

jt_234

I found the permatex you were talking about--permatex form-a-gasket non-hardening (1B)--and touched up the old gasket with it.  Voila, no leaks! 

I definitely saw why you shouldn't use the silicone.  I didn't run any gas through the carb after I used the silicone, let it sit for 2 days, and with just the residual gas it had been eaten up.

I got the bike back together with the new jets today and its running great...although, I tore the second fuel line today  :mad:  I tore the other one when I first took the tank off and I replaced it with a heavier line, but I don't think I can fit two of those on it.  Trying to fight the clamp onto the second line past the heavy line is what caused me to tear it in the first place.  Off to find fuel line tomorrow.  If anyone has any ideas on universal replacement fuel line with the small external diameter like the stock line, let me know.
:cheers:
JT
'02 GS500

Tact is the knack of making a point without making an enemy. - Isaac Newton

The Buddha

Well, glad to know it got sorted out ... I usuallyt never check this site weekends ...  :o
Fuel line - I buy tygon fuel line, I have a large roll of it ... just ebay it. Its common on other vehicles ... like hobby aircraft.
Now I am still pretty apprehensive about running with a nicked float gasket, but I dont see how it can get any worse really with gasket maker. I still would be using it very sparingly.
Cool.
Buddha.

-----------------------------------------------------------------
I run a business based on other people's junk.

jt_234

Quote from: The Buddha on May 05, 2008, 11:17:36 AM
Well, glad to know it got sorted out ... I usuallyt never check this site weekends ...  :o
Fuel line - I buy tygon fuel line, I have a large roll of it ... just ebay it. Its common on other vehicles ... like hobby aircraft.
Now I am still pretty apprehensive about running with a nicked float gasket, but I dont see how it can get any worse really with gasket maker. I still would be using it very sparingly.
Cool.
Buddha.

Yeah, Saturday I ordered the Tygon from Ebay.  I looked everywhere for it here--Home Depot, Lowes, hobby shops, auto stores--but no luck finding it.  I bought a used center stand for my bike too--$21 shipped.  :thumb:  Better than $60 for a cheap bike jack.

I just need to get my air and idle adjusted once I get the new fuel lines on and I'll be back in business.
:cheers:
JT
'02 GS500

Tact is the knack of making a point without making an enemy. - Isaac Newton

The Buddha

I might as well add to this.
Swapping O rings - I should do it as required, and How is $2 per pair of O rings that need to be swapped.
Usually float spigot and top O rings go, but of late I have swapped out float retaining O rings and the guide base O ring as well.
Maybe I should add a charge for opening the choke section too.
Then there is the breakables that may need replacing on the ocassional carb. On an as needed/available basis.
Cool.
Buddha.

Jon The Buddha

I might just let you do my carbs for me... just because you have such a cool name!   :thumb:
2004 GS500F

Ride it like you stole it paid cash for it.

The Buddha

4 pairs of O rings, each one labelled as to where they go. Most common O rings needed OK OK 3 are the common ones, and 4th is a little rare. No rebuild kit needed ...unless you need the float gasket.
I have been swapping 2-3 pairs per carb set I been working on of late. In fact the 1 time I didn't it came back to bite me. :o
Cool.
Buddha.

ATLRIDER

Does the kit include #'s 26,29,34. http://fiche.ronayers.com/Index.cfm/Module/Main/TypeID/26/Type/Motorcycle/MakeID/2/Make/Suzuki/YearID/37/Year/1996/ModelID/6218/Model/GS500E/GroupID/252866/Group/CARBURETOR

How about the oring on the back of the white plastic guide that holds the needle jet?

How many carbs can I rebuild with the kit?

Thanks.

[Added Linky]
K&N Lunchbox, K&N Engine Breather, Hella Angel Eyes, Buell Turn signals, Kat 750 Rear Shock, Progressive Springs, MC Case Guards, Aluminum Ignition Cover, V&H Full Exhaust, Ignition Advancer, 15T Sprocket, Srinath Bars, Gel Seat, Dual FIAMM Freeway Blaster horns

The Buddha

The 4 are float spigot, float itself, top vacuum spigot and the one under the plastic guide the needle jet drops into. So it does include 26, 29 34 and that other one.
You can rebuild 1 set of carbs ... unless you have 2 sets with complimentary bad O rings.
Of late I am swapping 26, 29 and 34 a lot. 26 and 34 are very very important O rings and they often go bad from sitting. 29 also dies often, but its much less important. That one under the white guide typically isn't prone to dying that much cos its not on a moving part ... but its pretty important.
Cool.
Buddha.

ATLRIDER

K&N Lunchbox, K&N Engine Breather, Hella Angel Eyes, Buell Turn signals, Kat 750 Rear Shock, Progressive Springs, MC Case Guards, Aluminum Ignition Cover, V&H Full Exhaust, Ignition Advancer, 15T Sprocket, Srinath Bars, Gel Seat, Dual FIAMM Freeway Blaster horns

hawkijustin

Life sucks when you wanna ride your gs but snail mail is taking forever to get my carbs here :cry: Buddha is a awesome guy and i would say if you need carb work he is your man!

The Buddha

Yours were sent yesterday. Hopefully by tommorow.
I never sent you the new set of pics did it ... its still in my camera.
Thanks for the compliments.
Cool.
Buddha.

hawkijustin

oh well its been raining all week and will all weekend so looks like very little riding anyways. no i didn't get those pics. i don't remember what they are from.

The Buddha

The wore out needle spacers and guides. The ones had black dust in the pics I sent you. The guide with holes and washers etc worn to 1/2 their thickness - that wasn't in the pic.
Cool.
Buddha.

SIKDMAX

So Buddha are you in NC or Cali? 

Id like you to rejet my carbs and give them a once over and I guess sync them too.  I just bought the bike and am adding a K&N Lunchbox and vance & hines full system so they need to be taken care of.  Along with any adjustment/whatever necessary to get them running great!

Something you can do for me? How should I start the process? Thanks
1999 GS500E - Corbin Seat, Bar End Mirrors, K&N Lunchbox, Vance & Hines Exhaust, Carb Magic by Buddah, Progressive Front Springs w/ 15W,  EBC Front Pads, LED Front/Rear Signals, 15T Front JT Sprocket.

NEED:  Katana Rear Shock, OEM Rear Pads, New Chain!

The Buddha

Skid - watch your PM.
Edit - added - PM me your rmail address too, you get pics of it taken to pieces along with my comments. Bad O rings, I dont just say you got bad O rings, I show you the bad O rings. I dont just say you have dirt coming in and tearing up your guides and slides, I show you pics ... and OK if it has gone that far, I make fun of you ...
Atleast next time you can open it and not be surprised if you see chicken wings in there ...
Cool.
Buddha.

SIKDMAX

Chicken wings!  :laugh:

Got your PM and sent one back.  Is carb syncing something you can do for an additional fee?  Thanks!
1999 GS500E - Corbin Seat, Bar End Mirrors, K&N Lunchbox, Vance & Hines Exhaust, Carb Magic by Buddah, Progressive Front Springs w/ 15W,  EBC Front Pads, LED Front/Rear Signals, 15T Front JT Sprocket.

The Buddha

Synch is included as is other trouble shooting and tips on what else is busted on it.
Cool.
Buddha.

SIKDMAX

She has risen!   :laugh:

Going to let it dry out overnight and it will be out to you first thing in the morning!  THANKS!

The Buddha

This is funny ... Yea ...  :thumb:
Cool.
Buddha.

simoniz

Oh great Buddha, now that my GS is finally alive and running again, I am going to fit the K&N lunchbox and will need to re-jet. I currently have the standard exhaust on an '89 model and standard jets. The matrix on the Wiki says I will just need 140 mains - do you have those? Will I need anything else, aside from patience and wisdom?
89 GS500e, K & N Lunchbox, Buddha jet kit, GS550 front forks, GS850 fender, ProMaxx tires and a big dollop of luck

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk