News:

Need a manual?  Buy a Clymer manual Here

Main Menu

The "What Is This?" game

Started by adidasguy, November 16, 2012, 12:34:27 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

dam

Quote from: adidasguy on November 19, 2012, 12:15:14 AM
A pick device for a Ace type round lock?
That was quick. Yes it's a tubular lock pick :cheers:

adidasguy

Reason I thought that? In college, a friend in the dorm has this obsession with making a pick for that type of lock. He had a tube and fingers each with a screw on them. I don't think he ever got it to work. It was for the change machine in the laundry room at the dorm.

Next challenge......

jestercinti

Reminds me of something mechanical at a bowlong alley like a pinsetter or ball lift/return thingie.
Bikeless and Broke at the moment...

cbrfxr67

that's what i was going to say,..has to have something to do with bowling,...but i dont know what!
"Its something you take apart in 2-3 days and takes 10 years to go back together."
-buddha

adidasguy

Close - can you be more specific?

jestercinti

My 4 year old likes to go Bowling.  He uses the ramp to push the ball down the lane, and I have to tell him 15 times not to put your hand in the ball return.

The only thing I can think of is when the ball comes back from behind the pinsetter, it goes in some underground conveyer, then travels though this thingie to where the ball comes out.  Like the Brunswick or AMF Ball return machine that comes out of the floor.

If that's not it, then I give up.

SAFE-T

adidasguy

Not ball return.
Nothing to do with balls.

codajastal

I am not interested in anything you have to say
Don't bother talking to me, I will not answer you

adidasguy

I'll let you have it.
Specifically, it is a part from an AMF 82-30 model pinsetter. This is the part that picks up the pin after the first ball. Mounted to it is a cup that hold the next pin to be spotted. When spotting the pins, the whole assembly rotates 45* so the pin is vertical. When the pin is on the deck, the cup goes down a little more and swings back a few more degrees to clear the pin. When up and out of the eay, it rotates back to its normal position.

As it comes down on the top of the pin, the two rubber grips move in. Being on a sliding track, the pin can be off spot by 6" and still get picked up. Once the grips grab the pin, they stay closed with a ball point pen kind if latch. When the pinsetter table comes down to put the pin back down, that motion releases the grips and they open up.

Here you see the back row in a pinsetter. Each also has a switch to light up a light on the machine to show you which pins were left. also all switches had a contact connected in series. If any pin was picked up, it would break that circuit and it would not be a strike. If the circuit remained unbroken, the electronics (relays) would know it is a strike and immediately set a new set of pins.

On these older pinsetters, if you noticed when bowling, as the table comes down to pick up the pins left after the first ball, you would see the next set of pins sliding down into the cups one by one - starting from the left and going around to the right.

codajastal

codajastal

6 1/2 hours and no guesses? :dunno_black:
And actually I think jestercinti got the last one first anyway?
I think it may be his turn :dunno_black:

adidasguy

codajastal

Quote from: adidasguy on November 20, 2012, 02:44:35 AM
Any hints?
Got me stumped.
You will find it in most cars/trucks etc :thumb:

jestercinti

Quote from: codajastal on November 20, 2012, 02:41:35 AM
6 1/2 hours and no guesses? :dunno_black:
And actually I think jestercinti got the last one first anyway?
I think it may be his turn :dunno_black:

All yours Cods. 

It makes sense that he has bowling apparatus since that's what he does:  http://www.cdesoftware.com/company/about
Also, if you look at his photo album referenced in his signature, it's full of bowling gear.

I guessed that it was a mechanical thing.  Just picked the wrong one (ball lift/return instead of pin setter).

Kijona

Quote from: codajastal on November 20, 2012, 02:47:31 AM
Quote from: adidasguy on November 20, 2012, 02:44:35 AM
Any hints?
Got me stumped.
You will find it in most cars/trucks etc :thumb:

Looks like part of the ignition key assembly.

codajastal

adidasguy

Possibly a shield over a light bulb to direct light onto the license plate?

codajastal

Quote from: adidasguy on November 20, 2012, 02:36:01 PM
Possibly a shield over a light bulb to direct light onto the license plate?
No

jestercinti

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk