News:

Protect your dainty digits. Get a good pair of riding gloves cheap Right Here

Main Menu

Neighbor Argument - Opinions?

Started by qcbaker, February 14, 2017, 12:13:16 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Watcher

Quote from: the_63 on March 01, 2017, 11:55:30 AM
I must say, I feel like this conversation is going unusually well. Normally opposing sides would be kicking off by now. Kudos to all :cheers:

Chris
O0

Well, I like to think that we're all open minded adults, but the fact that we share a common interest in motorcycling perhaps we're all being more open to the opinions of others through a mutual respect.

Usually I get into firearms discussions on FaceBook or something and it quickly devolves to name calling and flat out opinion bashing.
People just can't accept that what works for X might not work for Y or even Z.
"The point of a journey is not to arrive..."

-Neil Peart

mr72

Quote from: Watcher on March 01, 2017, 12:05:31 PM
People just can't accept that what works for X might not work for Y or even Z.

There's that, plus the fact that many people don't have the context or experience to make rational judgments about things that differ from their own habits or behaviors.

Happens on all kinds of topics. Attitudes adapt with experience.

mr72

Just saw this in my facebook feed:

QuoteMy good friend was jumped/stabbed/robbed right outside of Sidebar last night by four people, which was totally unprovoked. Thankfully he was released from the hospital after getting 15 stitches and suffering a broken nose, and the incident was caught on camera.
This is a place that my friends and I tend to frequent when going out, and it never hurts to be reminded that things can go south real quick. Stay aware, don't be/walk places alone, and just know there are some kitty cat ass people out there who will try and take advantage of you. Look after each other, and best believe I'll throw down mercilessly on anyone who comes at me, my girlfriend, my friends, my family, or an innocent stranger in my presence. Have a blessed day.

That's in Austin.

Good thing in Texas guns are prohibited from bars! That way only the criminals can be armed, which I suppose reduces "gun violence" since the armed robber gets away without any injury that was inflicted by firearm.

This is why i don't play music in bars. This is why I am building my own pub in my own house. Bars are among the places too dangerous for me to go unarmed and it so happens the great state of Texas bans my right to protect myself in such a dangerous place.

ShowBizWolf

Been following along, enjoying the thread!

Just like to say +1 for personal pub/bar in a home! My pap built the one in his (now my) house back in the 60's and I can't tell ya how many parties it has seen... and all my friends absolutely love coming to the "Brandle Street Bar"  :cheers:
Superbike bars, '04 GSXR headlight & cowl, DRZ signals, 1/2" fork brace, 'Busa fender, stainless exhaust & brake lines, belly pan, LED dash & brake bulbs, 140/80 rear hoop, F tail lens, SV650 shock, Bandit400 hugger, aluminum heel guards & pegs, fork preload adjusters, .75 SonicSprings, heated grips

yamahonkawazuki

Quote from: Watcher on March 01, 2017, 08:57:49 AM
Yes, definitely don't brandish a weapon at your neighbor while saying "Come at me, bro."  :cheers:
When I lived in phoenix while AT MMI, as being an open carry state, meaning one can carry a firearm as long as it is visible and as long you can legally possess said firearm, I carried either my glock 21 or an off brand 9mm (glock was a .45 acp)  it shortened my trip to work at bank. I Could go through so e rather shady neighborhoods.  Never brandished weapon, I just placed holster on dashboard. Just had to hide it at work. Since I was an unarmed guard. Long story short, id do my best to at least make peace with neighbor if at all possible. If not, at least make like he doesn't exist. Trying to avoid conflict imho is the best option.
Aaron
Jan 14 2010 0310 I miss you mom
Vielen dank Patrick. Vielen dank
".
A proud Mormon
"if you come in with the bottom of your cast black,
neither one of us will be happy"- Alan Silverman MD

qcbaker

So, as some of you know, it snowed a bunch Monday night into yesterday and today. So you may have wondered how I handled the bike/snow situation. Well, my bike is currently at the shop for inspection/11k mile service, so I did not have to store it on the porch this time. Lucky too, since it was so windy that a large amount of snow drifted up onto the porch and the bike would've gotten a bit buried anyway.

ShowBizWolf

This weather is total stinkin' crap  :technical:  :2guns:  :super grumpy:
Superbike bars, '04 GSXR headlight & cowl, DRZ signals, 1/2" fork brace, 'Busa fender, stainless exhaust & brake lines, belly pan, LED dash & brake bulbs, 140/80 rear hoop, F tail lens, SV650 shock, Bandit400 hugger, aluminum heel guards & pegs, fork preload adjusters, .75 SonicSprings, heated grips

qcbaker

Update: so on Monday night, we had a tornado warning in my area. The winds were extremely high for a period of time and I was worried my bike would get blown over if left in my normal parking spot. So, I put the bike on the porch again. Bear in mind, that I have been told by my landlord that I am allowed to do this (this is important). I did not, however, leave Mr. Grumpy a note or inform him I would be doing this, as I did not really have time. I left the bike there overnight and rode it to work in the morning, making sure to quietly roll the bike off the porch before starting it. No complaints yet, so we're aces, right? Haha, NOPE.

So, I get home from work and I notice a piece of paper on the floor in front of all our doors. Upon reading it, I find that it says something along the lines of "We received a complaint about a motorcycle on the porch, please refrain from doing this, blah blah blah". The landlord literally told me I can put my bike on the porch when the weather makes it unsafe to park it where I normally do. So, I call the landlord and express my distaste for getting a letter asking me not do to a thing they have told my I am allowed to do. Long story short, they basically ended up admitting that they had no problem with me parking the bike there and only sent the letter because 1.) the person who fielded the call is new and didn't know whose bike it was and 2.) they just wanted to placate Mr. Grumpy. So, I kind of went off on this lady a bit. I didn't yell or curse, but I made sure she knew I was NOT happy about this. I said "You do realize there was a TORNADO warning, right? It's not like I intentionally parked the bike there to be a jerk, I parked it there because it was out of the wind and I didn't want the bike to get blown over and get damaged or to fall onto someone else's car and damage their car. And most importantly, not even considering the weather situation, it wasn't even there for a day. I parked the bike at like 2PM and moved it at 7:30AM the next morning. Its not like I left it there for an extended period of time. And its not like I was running it outside of his window.Plus, you guys have literally told me I can park it there if I need to because of the weather. I called you when it snowed and you guys were like 'Yeah, sure no problem at all! We totally understand!' But now, you're gonna send out a notice telling me not to just because Mr. Grumpy called and complained? You can see how that is frustrating to me, right?" She basically responded by apologizing and saying "That resident is probably going to be put on probation for harassment, based on the number of frivolous complaints he puts in. You can just ignore the notice, its fine."  I just made sure she had my cell number and said "You guys have literally told me its okay to park the bike there temporarily if it's at risk. If there's a complaint, please just call me directly, I am perfectly willing to explain why the bike is there. Please don't send out a notice just to placate this guy. If he's putting in frivolous complaints, please push back and tell him I have permission to park the bike there and it should be moved soon." She agreed, I thanked her and apologized if I came off as unnecessarily angry, and hung up.

I cannot f*cking stand this kind of behavior, ESPECIALLY from a landlord. I get it, they just wanted to calm him down and get him off the phone. But you can't just let a douchebag get what they want simply because they're a persistent douchebag. Its like a dog: If you give him treats to shut him up when he barks, he learns that barking gets you treats.

My current plan is to go to the office and get written, signed permission from my landlord to temporarily park my bike on the porch if there is a situation in which the bike is at risk of being damaged. If I get another notice or call about this, I am going to photocopy this permission slip and go have a talk with Mr. Grumpy personally. I'm sick of his sh*t. I'm not going to stand by and let this motherf*cker get away with acting this way. When this is over, he is going to:

1.) Lose this argument
2.) Know he lost this argument.
3.) Sit there and stew about it.

When I'm done, I'm basically going to be this:

Bark all you want @$$hole, I'm not giving you any treats.

cbrfxr67

"Its something you take apart in 2-3 days and takes 10 years to go back together."
-buddha

Watcher

So wait, she told you it was ok, then told him she was going to have a conversation with you, then put a note at everyone's door saying it's not ok?

Sounds like a good way to fuel a fire.  Either the landlord is afraid of confrontation and will tell everyone what they want to hear, even if those things contradict each other, or she hasn't quite figured out what the hell SHE wants in all of this.  All that's gonna happen is it's going to turn into a bigger issue between you and Mr. Grumpy and he's going to cite the notice and if a neighbor hears you bickering and wants to get involved then they will cite their notice and it's going to spiral out of control.

If you do get a letter telling you it's ok I would be sure to get it notarized, then make copies and somehow affix one to the bike whenever you park it there.

Or, and I hate to suggest this (being the stubborn guy that I am), look for a more bike friendly apartment.  If you go to the landlord saying this is the straw that broke the camel's back and you're leaving, if you were a good tenant maybe she'll offer some kind of recompense, but it's obvious she don't give two shits about what's right and whats wrong.  What happens when you have a complaint about another tenant?  She might be one to pull the "well, we let you, so..." thing.
BS...

-Neil Peart

qcbaker

Watcher, that's a good idea affixing a copy of the permission to the bike itself, I hadn't thought of that. As for the rest, I'm not going to threaten to leave the apartment since its not worth moving over this. But, I do plan on getting the written permission and when I do, I'll put the note on the bike like you said.

89gS500_Kirk

I love this thread too much.... I have had to deal with people like this every apartment complex I have lived in. I get the guy at first being a "little" peeved about seeing the bike and I would have spoken to you about it the first time it happened. However once you let me know you had permission it would have been done and I would have just asked you to not start it by my window. This guy is being a B*$ch and just wants to have a problem with something, he looks for crap to be mad about. OR his significant other has a problem with it and he is getting it from that person. Either way you are in the right...

Keep fighting the good fight  :woohoo: :cheers:

yamahonkawazuki

Quote from: 89gS500_Kirk on June 26, 2017, 05:46:29 AM
I love this thread too much.... I have had to deal with people like this every apartment complex I have lived in. I get the guy at first being a "little" peeved about seeing the bike and I would have spoken to you about it the first time it happened. However once you let me know you had permission it would have been done and I would have just asked you to not start it by my window. This guy is being a B*$ch and just wants to have a problem with something, he looks for crap to be mad about. OR his significant other has a problem with it and he is getting it from that person. Either way you are in the right...

Keep fighting the good fight  :woohoo: :cheers:
well said.  :thumb:
Aaron
".
A proud Mormon

BockinBboy

I've enjoyed reading this saga - I figured from the start the landlord was the conflict avoider. Will just say yes to your face, to tell you what you want hear and avoid confronting the fact it could be an issue with others wanting to use the public space (even though this particular complainer just sounds spiteful) Then later turn around and put a letter out saying no. So she didn't ever have to say it to your face and avoided face to face conflict.

People do this all the time to avoid face to face.  I think of emails in the workplace - they seem to facilitate the behavior.

I doubt she will really do anything to this guy for his complaining other than more things that appease him to avoid conflict. It's not surprising that it escalated the way it did. She's doing the same to you as she's doing to the spiteful complainer.

I used to work for an apartment complex. 14 buildings, 20 apts per building, mostly college kids with money. A tenant had his bike rolled into the pond.  Tenant had bike repaired. It happened again. He ends buying a brand new bike. Asks management if he can park it in the breezeway, as everyone is aware of pond incidents. Management says yes even though it's outlined in lease that you can't.  Others with bikes AND bicycles begin doing the same. And now it's a problem they said yes to one person due to his circumchances. They send out letter explicitly saying 'no one can, it's in the lease - you'll be towed or bicycle tossed'.... without talking to pond guy. Pond guy comes in to office asking WTF - they take the opportunity to reiterate the letter as if they had never said it was ok and tell him to find a place to store it if it can't be in the parking lot.  Pond guy gets irate and makes quite a scene - then begins parking his bike in apartment bedroom....

Fast forward two years... management finally finds out and sees damages as result, and Pond guy gets evicted. I get to replace all the flooring from the entry to bedroom and repaint all the walls along the way. Pond guy is charged outrageous fees, that he never pays and goes to collections.

I don't know if there would have been a different outcome had management told him no the first time despite his circumstances, or talked to him before letter went out, or didn't act like they never said it was ok for him - but if you do somehow manage to get your bike inside the apartment - protect the floor and walls from your tires!

- Bboy

Sonic Springs, R6 Shock, R6 Throttle Tube, Lowering Links, T-Rex Frame Sliders, SW-Motech Alu-Rack, SH46 Shad Topcase, Smoked Signals, Smoked LED Tailight, ZG Touring Windscreen

yamahonkawazuki

".
A proud Mormon

qcbaker

We got a few inches of snow and ice over the weekend and I chose to leave the bike in it's normal spot, since it wasn't gonna be in a ton of danger. However, there is now 5 inches of snow/ice in the forecast, so I'm gonna be putting the bike on my porch again tonight. I'm planning on doing as Watcher said and putting a note on it stating that I have explicit permission from the property managers. And, since one of the apartments downstairs is vacant at the moment, I won't put it in front of Mr. Grumpy's precious window (that he never, ever opens the blinds for...).

I'll keep you guys posted if he complains anyway.

ShowBizWolf

Too bad you can't put it IN the vacant apartment! That would be awesome :D

qcbaker

So, it snowed much less than forecast so I actually didnt end up putting the bike on the porch. Sorry to disappoint anyone who was hoping for drama lol.

Watcher

-Neil Peart

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk