News:

Protect your dainty digits. Get a good pair of riding gloves cheap Right Here

Main Menu

DJ needle with mikuni jets?

Started by Peter Tez, August 07, 2017, 03:23:43 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Peter Tez

unfortunately I bought my bike with dynojets installed. And the more I search about it the more I seem to be f*cked.
I don't have the rest of the kit, so I can't do any (dynojet) rejetting without buyng a whole new package.

So can I just put in mikuni jets and leave the DJ needle in?

Or de I have any other options?

Peter Tez

if it is possible, I just found a Belgian (where I'm from) website that sells mikuni jets at very good prices

https://cmc-parts.be/index.php/jets-keihin-mikuni-hitachi-mainjets-slowjets-honda-yamaha-suzuki-kawasaki/mikuni-jets.html?limit=15

I just have no clue which ones to get then...

The Buddha

What is the number on your mains and what does the bike do now.
You have to trial and error it out from there.
Also DJ was a lot less common in Europe, and Euro bikes also had adjustable needles. You sure you have a DJ kit and not a euro needle ?
Cool.
Buddha.
-----------------------------------------------------------------
I run a business based on other people's junk.

Peter Tez

The previous owner said he had dynojet kit installed..

until yesterday the bike was running just fine! no problems at all. but then when I opened full throttle entering the highway it stalled around 8k rpm. (in a tunnel with 4 lanes! and I was on the most left...) somehow it felt like the throttle cable broke and the engine was still running, but being in a tunnel with a lot of truck passing at 90km/h, it was quite overwhelming. I'm lucky there was an emergeny lane, and I pushed the bike out of the tunnel.

After 5 minutes, I started te bike to see what was going on, and it ran just fine...

so the time has come to: order lunchbox, clean carbs and check for vacuum leaks, and rejet

I don't have time to open up the carbs until the 16th because of holidays, but I'll get back here when I know for sure what needle is in the carbs

mr72

Quote from: Peter Tez on August 08, 2017, 02:12:12 AM

so the time has come to: order lunchbox, clean carbs and check for vacuum leaks, and rejet

IMHO if it was running essentially fine with the jets in the carbs then don't do the things in bold.

Switching to a lunchbox filter, assuming you have the stock airbox, will require a rejet that may be a crap shoot given the DJ needles. Better IMHO to just stick with what is working.

You won't see any improvements in performance with the lunchbox. You'll get worse air filtration and have to rejet and re-tune everything, and probably less performance in the end in exchange for more intake noise, basically.

Peter Tez

IMHO if it was running essentially fine with the jets in the carbs then don't do the things in bold.

[/quote]

I agree completely as far as running the bike. but I want to do this for 2 reasons. first I want to make a brat kind of project with the bike, so it would be for the looks.

but second, I want to learn motorcycle mecanics... next month I start a 2 year evening course, and know someone with a garage I can use (important detail for working on bikes).
I'm actually eager to try this and probably fail a lot, but I will learn quite a bit I guess.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

mr72

Quote from: Peter Tez on August 08, 2017, 09:24:52 PM

I agree completely as far as running the bike. but I want to do this for 2 reasons. first I want to make a brat kind of project with the bike, so it would be for the looks.

but second, I want to learn motorcycle mecanics...

Well in that case, get some OE needles and change those while it's apart, then you can likely get back to something like normal jetting for the LB using Mikuni(type) jets.

You should be able to get some scrap carbs for cheap and swipe the needles. Plus that'll give you a spare set to pull other parts from in case you need them, or to use to analyze how they go together without having to pull your bike apart.

Peter Tez

finaly got my carburetors off today...

so apparently they do have mikuni jets (in stead of the dynojet I've been told). 17,5/60/135 with open exhaust should be way too lean, no?? it was with the airbox on, so maybe the restricted intake limits the open exhaust as well? or I have no idea what a good running bike feels like.

last week my sparkplug looked like this.. I think it looks a bit lean I guess, but dangerously so?

now I've put on the k&n lunchbox and I do feel the bike hesitating at full throttle, so the main jet is too small for sure.
but for the rest the bike feels heavier but goes smoothly through the rpm's...

I could not get the top of the carbs off.. just ordered new (allen key) bolts and when they arrive I'll force the philips screws out of there. but since the previous owner said it had dynokit installed, I wonder if it's only the needle (which after some research seems to be perfectly fine). anyway, I'm curious what to find there when the new bolts arrive. and of course I ordered new jets for rejetting at 20/65/145...

The Buddha

K&N lunch box ???? you have a pipe ?
If so, 20/147.5 works. I have a kit if you prefer. $25 shipped in US.

It looked lean, but not dangerously so. But 135 is not right with K&N and pipe. For sure lean as fruck.

Cool.
Buddha.

The Buddha

Ooo Belgium - never mind, shipping costs $2735982864.78 to be exact.
The Jets numbers work even though you don't speak English over there.
Cool.
Buddha.

Peter Tez

Quote from: The Buddha on August 17, 2017, 09:14:08 AM
Ooo Belgium - never mind, shipping costs $2735982864.78 to be exact.
The Jets numbers work even though you don't speak English over there.
Cool.
Buddha.

hahaha that would be about the cost yes.. unfortunately. I do find the mikuni jets here for about $4 each, without shipping. not so bad

it was a bit of a search though. for fellow riders at this side of the water, I found the corresponding part numbers they use here.

pilot jet VM28/486 over here is KYS-060XXX (xxx being the size)
main jet N102.221 is KYM-010XXX (xxx being the size again)

Peter Tez

Quote from: The Buddha on August 17, 2017, 09:11:40 AM
K&N lunch box ???? you have a pipe ?
If so, 20/147.5 works. I have a kit if you prefer. $25 shipped in US.

It looked lean, but not dangerously so. But 135 is not right with K&N and pipe. For sure lean as fruck.

Cool.
Buddha.

and yes, I have a full lazer exhaust..

and where I get the jets, they don't have 147,5 so I'm hoping 145 will be fine

mr72

the exhaust will make very little if any difference in jetting. The Lunchbox makes a big difference.

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk