News:

Need a manual?  Buy a Clymer manual Here

Main Menu

Gs500e crash protection?

Started by charliewalden, August 11, 2017, 09:50:59 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

charliewalden

Hello everyone,
Like a lot of people on here, I've stripped my fairings and now have a naked GS. My question to everyone is, however, what protection can I get for falls and crashes.
I've seen the engine bars but other than that, there doesn't seem to be a whole lot for the 'e' bikes. Considering the bars are upwards of £120, are there some frame sliders I'm missing or does the engine casing stick out too much?
I really wish crash protection came as stock too...
Cheers,
Charlie

Endopotential

I fabbed up some simpler sliders for about $60.

http://gstwins.com/gsboard/index.php?topic=71139.msg854587#msg854587

Thankfully I haven't had a chance to put them to the test...
http://gstwins.com/gsboard/index.php?topic=70953.0

2007 GS500F Cafe Fighter - cut off the tail, K&N lunchbox, short exhaust, 20/60/140 jets, R6 shock, all sorts of other random bits...

qcbaker

R&G makes a set of frame sliders for the GS: https://www.revzilla.com/motorcycle/rg-racing-frame-sliders-suzuki-gs500f-2004-2010

They're "meant" for the F model, and you have to cut a hole in the fairings. But, if you've removed them already it wont be an issue.

ShowBizWolf

Hiya charlie!

These are on my "to-buy" list. Most likely after I buy my springs and fork tubes.

http://gstwins.com/gsboard/index.php?topic=67940.0

Dunno what the shipping cost would be for ya though.
Superbike bars, '04 GSXR headlight & cowl, DRZ signals, 1/2" fork brace, 'Busa fender, stainless exhaust & brake lines, belly pan, LED dash & brake bulbs, 140/80 rear hoop, F tail lens, SV650 shock, Bandit400 hugger, aluminum heel guards & pegs, fork preload adjusters, .75 SonicSprings, heated grips

rg500gamma

I have  Hepco & Becker   3 bolt  crash bars .  :thumb:
Some people   say  Disneyland  is the happiest place on earth ,  I say  Playboy  Mansion ..............

charliewalden

Hey guys, thanks for all of the info!
I think I'll go with the r&g ones. I was under the impression that they'd be too long because they're designed for the faired version. though I must say showbizwolf, the ones you linked, I'd heard about on other threads and everyone was singing praises but I think shipping to the UK might make them a bit expensive :(.
In a perfect world, I'd probably get the crash bars but seeing as my current basket for the bike is already at just shy of £100, I'm going with the slightly cheaper option for the mean time.
Thanks again,
Charlie

Bluesmudge

FYI, the R&G crash bar bolt bends after even the slightest crash. That is what they are designed to do in order to protect your frame and engine but it also makes dropping your bike expensive.

If you want something that can stand up to repeated drops and scratches get one of the three point crash cages. SW motech, Hepco Becker or Renntec.

MichaelM3

My bike has taught three new riders. The Renntec bars have paid for themselves several times over.

charliewalden

Whilst I don't plan on training anyone, multiple drop protection would be useful and definitely more cost effective!!
Maybe the bars are a better idea. I just had a look at the Renntec bars and they seems pretty good especially for just topping £100.
What about the tank though? Do they protect against tank damage?
Cheers,
Charlie

Bluesmudge

I'm pretty sure the tank does not touch the ground, even on a stock bike. Most tank damage comes from bent/rotating handlebars or the rider themselves in a crash.

qcbaker

Quote from: Bluesmudge on August 16, 2017, 09:20:53 AM
I'm pretty sure the tank does not touch the ground, even on a stock bike. Most tank damage comes from bent/rotating handlebars or the rider themselves in a crash.

Can confirm. Lowsided my bike last summer, destroyed left fairing, bent both forks and the steering stem, so it was a "serious" crash as far as the bike was concerned (I was basically completely unharmed). Only damage to the tank was from the handlebars hitting it at full lock.

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk