News:

The simplest way to help GStwin is to use this Amazon link to shop

Main Menu

1996 GS500 Basket Case Build into a GS600R

Started by cbrfxr67, April 12, 2011, 02:54:10 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Shepa

Quote from: GAS on June 21, 2011, 06:47:17 AM...
2- Check the error with a GPS and make a new scale to that speedometer, open it and swap the scale.
I thought of something like this.  :thumb:
If deviation is linear, I'll just take the needle off, and put it a couple km/h's +/-, till the reading is accurate.
If it's not linear, I'll either set it to some middle point deviation and live with it, or install the GS speedo into CB400's housing...

There's a solution to every problem, one way or the other.  :icon_mrgreen:
There he goes. One of God's own prototypes.
A high-powered mutant of some kind never even considered for mass production.
Too weird to live, and too rare to die.

xunedeinx

Big Rich

I've heard that all Metric speedometers use the same ratio- but I only work on older bikes so they may have changed it. The 2 easiest options if they aren't the same: 1) make a new speedo overlay out of vinyl with the speed matching the needle or 2) go with an aftermarket digital unit. They can be programmed to any wheel diameter.
83 GR650 (riding / rolling project)

It's opener there in the wide open air...

cbrfxr67

Where are you at Shepa?  Update?  Video?  Finished pictures??  :bstar: :bstar: :bstar: :bstar:
"Its something you take apart in 2-3 days and takes 10 years to go back together."
-buddha

Shepa

Quote from: cbrfxr67 on June 27, 2011, 07:50:15 AM
Where are you at Shepa?  Update?  Video?  Finished pictures??  :bstar: :bstar: :bstar: :bstar:
I refuse to post any other updates till you post yours!  :icon_mrgreen:

Just kidding... in fact I'm enjoying the bike so much, I don't have the time to take a single photo of it, I'm just topping the tank and keeping on riding.
Tomorrow I'll try, I promise.  :thumb:

This weekend I took it for a cca 400-500 km ride with some fellas (one TDM 900, two Fazers 600 S2, and one MT-01), and it was pretty much ok, except the wind gusts (strong NW wind called "Bura") so my neck still hurts. I checked the gas mileage and it's 5,4 l/100km, which is not so bad, considering the thirsty cavalry under the tank and not so touristic riding tempo.

OK, here are couple o' pics...

A bit of offset needed to avoid pain in the knees and numbness in lower legs (it's still adjustable though).

Custom/handmade hi-flow air filter...  :icon_mrgreen:
Although... the volume of GS airbox is too low compared to cbr's, so we'll need to drill a couple of additional holes for better air suction.
What can I do... there's just no space enough underneath the gas tank.

And here's my beauty, waiting for my working day to finish.

FJCharlie

Shepo ODLICHAN POSAO! Svaka chast ljudino! (great work shepo! well done man!)  :thumb:
i was foloving your progress and was thinking of your air problem all the time, since 600rr needs a loads of air to run... i see youve come to a solution, but is it enough? i thought of ram-air solution but you would be weakening allready weak frame for that engine...
anyways, congrats on this one!  :thumb:
ill be in Split around 24th-25th of july so if youre free we could meet, a beer, two...  would love to see that beauty run :)

Motorbiking has always been a hobby rather than an alternative to proper transport, and as with all hobbies, the people who partake are extremely knowledgeable.
Because they are so knowledgeable, they will know precisely why the bike you select is rubbish and why theirs is superb.   Jeremy Clarkson

Shepa

For now... the engine gets all the air it needs, revs evenly to 13k in every gear without hesitation.
Well... I didn't get to 13k in sixth because of the slight front end wobble when I passed 200 km/h (GPS measurement).
Maybe I could've push it all the way, but didn't want to take any chances (yet).
Don't know what the top speed is, but it gets to 200 in no time, which is more than enough for every day commuting.  :icon_mrgreen:
The wobble may also occur because of the top case, or my bar weights are too light... dunno.
It's controlable, but over 200 km/h the front end feels like it's in the air, and the steering gets too light.
In any case, I might opt for a steering dumper if necessary.

As for your visit to my hometown... Sure thing man, just pm me when you get here!  :thumb:

Who knows, I may even persuade you to buy that spare GS engine (or CBR leftovers) I now have.  :icon_mrgreen: :icon_mrgreen: :icon_mrgreen:

cbrfxr67

Great Work!  Loving those pictures!  As for me, I got my van stripped and gone, let my other two bikes go, and now have a lot of elbow room to get back on the GS.  Partytime!  :icon_mrgreen:
"Its something you take apart in 2-3 days and takes 10 years to go back together."
-buddha

The Buddha

Holee cow shepa, you certainly make us look like lazy idiots.
Cool.
Buddha.
-----------------------------------------------------------------
I run a business based on other people's junk.

cbrfxr67

How tall are you Shepa?  Wondering about what you did on the offset on the rearsets to avoid pain.  Were your knees 'too' bent?  Looks good though.  I need to install mine as well.
-buddha

Shepa

Quote from: cbrfxr67 on July 05, 2011, 07:18:09 AM
Great Work!  Loving those pictures!  As for me, I got my van stripped and gone, let my other two bikes go, and now have a lot of elbow room to get back on the GS.  Partytime!  :icon_mrgreen:
Can't wait to see your project finished, dude.
If I can help in any way (via photos or anything), just ask.
The project is proven to work (yeah I know, no videos yet), so get it on already!  :icon_mrgreen:

Quote from: cbrfxr67 on July 05, 2011, 01:13:14 PM
How tall are you Shepa?  Wondering about what you did on the offset on the rearsets to avoid pain.  Were your knees 'too' bent?  Looks good though.  I need to install mine as well.
I'm 182 cms tall, and sitting with cbr footpegs fitted to GS peg frame holes was quite crumped, so we made a steel plate which allowed to move cbr's peg backwards and lowered it a bit (it's visible on that photo, the peg simply "rotates" around the lower mounting hole in frame, and is fixed in desired position).
I don't know, I prefer more upright sitting position, but the bike's geometry just forces me to lean forward (even with bar raisers).

djkdjk07

This thread got majorly derailed. I want to see more of the GS600

lucky4034

^Here Here

I wish there was a subforum dedicated to just "projects" ...  there are some great restorations and modifications going on in this place
Own:
'09 Suzuki GS500F
'05 Kawasaki Ninja 250R

Hope to own one day:
'11 Honda CBR600RR
'87-'92  Yamaha YSR50
'90-'93 CBR 250RR
...and counting

cbrfxr67

This is a great forum lucky4034!  Better than cbrforum.net, motohouston.com, customfighters.com and any other one I've ever been a part of!  Welcome by the way.  Personally, I like the open forum so that everybody can dig in and comment and help out.  I'd as much like Pandy's opinion, as Buddha's on whether my airbox idea is going to work or not.   :icon_mrgreen:
-buddha

pookiebear

airbox. I made one one time with radiator hose attached to the carb. a piece of PVC in the hose with a pod filter on the pvc. Worked good enough.
Your idea might work but it might not work well. Only way to know is to try it.

xunedeinx

How much free time do you have to prefect the air filter?

Heres a long drawn out hair-brained idea that'd work great, but take some time to do..

Go to a pick and pull, get an airbox from a car..

Chop off the section that holds the panal filter, so its basically a frame with the latches holding the filter.

Place it in front of the rear shock, directly behind the carbs..

now, mock up with cardboard a box to fit in the space, going to the filter...

And, finally, fiberglass that SOB!

Custom air filter, that free flowing (it is made for a 2000cc or so car), and has replacement filters for 5 bucks at walmart...

Whats not to love?

-Justin

lucky4034

Quote from: cbrfxr67 on July 06, 2011, 07:47:15 PM
This is a great forum lucky4034!  Better than cbrforum.net, motohouston.com, customfighters.com and any other one I've ever been a part of!  Welcome by the way.  Personally, I like the open forum so that everybody can dig in and comment and help out.  I'd as much like Pandy's opinion, as Buddha's on whether my airbox idea is going to work or not.   :icon_mrgreen:

Thank you, glad to be part of the clan.  (my first bike)  I've been lurking for a couple of weeks and this place is awesome!  Definitely a ton of good information to soak up (though most of it is well over my head at this point)...  keep up the good work :thumb: 

Both bikes look great and its impressive to see "the capable" do their thing!
Own:
'09 Suzuki GS500F
'05 Kawasaki Ninja 250R

Hope to own one day:
'11 Honda CBR600RR
'87-'92  Yamaha YSR50
'90-'93 CBR 250RR
...and counting

Shepa

Quote from: djkdjk07 on July 06, 2011, 12:20:23 AM
This thread got majorly derailed. I want to see more of the GS600
OK...  :icon_mrgreen:

The Buddha

Quote from: cbrfxr67 on July 06, 2011, 07:47:15 PM
This is a great forum lucky4034!  Better than cbrforum.net, motohouston.com, customfighters.com and any other one I've ever been a part of!  Welcome by the way.  Personally, I like the open forum so that everybody can dig in and comment and help out.  I'd as much like Pandy's opinion, as Buddha's on whether my airbox idea is going to work or not.   :icon_mrgreen:

True and thanks, and man, you've stomped on anything I have ever done in terms of the enormity of this you and shepa are in a league of your own.
This forum I can tell you is better for any bike that I have owned than that bike's dedicated forum especially in terms of rolling knowledge, as in if I had a savage I'd get info by searching the savage forum, that I call static knowledge. However post a question in the savage forum and you get nothing. You post a savage question on this forum and you will get a lot of sensible answers.
Cool.
Buddha.
I run a business based on other people's junk.

Chancegs1996

Come on shepa!!! We need a video!!!  >:(  :cookoo:

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk