News:

New Wiki available at http://wiki.gstwins.com -Check it out or contribute today!

Main Menu

Berryman's Carb Cleaner

Started by MaxD, May 05, 2020, 12:33:52 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

MaxD

Hello All:

Berryman's makes a couple of fuel additive fuel system cleaners, namely B-60 for really dirty carbs, and B-12 for maintenance cleaning. 

These products seem to get good customer reviews.  Does anyone have any comments regarding their use on the GS-500?

The Buddha

Please don't use those things. wd40 and wire for metal parts.

The diaphragm would not need cleaning. It can be removed and reinstalled with needle shims etc. Just needs care and you can actually use wd40 on it but you only need to to get it to swell up because when dry they shrink a little. Gas is fine for a few seconds too to wet it.

Repeat. The wd40 and wire if you're not happy. Toothbrush, metal toothbrush etc on metal parts only.

The old Japanese rubber etc etc is pretty good quality, indiscriminate chemical soaks and replacing all the rubber is going to give you a lot more headaches than gently cleaning the rubber and replacing just the bad parts. There's 4-5 O rings in the path of gas that are subject to a ton of exposure and drying, and heat and all sorts of adverse conditions. Those can be replaced with new buna O rings if you would rather replace them and not worry about checking them. All the rest can most likely be left alone - except if you chemical soak them.

Cool.
Buddha.
-----------------------------------------------------------------
I run a business based on other people's junk.

MaxD

Buddha, it seems like I need a physical carb cleaning since my bike will consistently start out with bursts of full acceleration, then the horsepower abruptly drops to about half.  It makes me think some rust flakes from the tank are trapped in at least one of the carbs, and the fuel flow of high throttle then pushes those flakes up against an orifice that is blocked. 

But, I am wondering for the future if these fuel treatment additives (1 ounce per gallon of gas) might occasionally be used.   I see a lot of testimonials from old bike owners on Amazon reporting that this stuff really seems to clear out their gummed up and varnished carbs. 

My main concern was whether it degraded the rubber parts in the carbs, and maybe the engine oil.  I see B-12 recommended once per oil change, presumably right before the oil is changed. 

What do you think of it as a fuel additive?

The Buddha

If rap from the tank is getting in the carbs - putting a cleaner in the tank and running the bike will do what ????
If crap from tank is getting to carb - address that first - by taking off the tank and getting that crap out. Worry about the carbs later.
Some people get a fuel filter - but that postpones and worsens the problem usually.

Cool.
Buddha.
I run a business based on other people's junk.

Bluesmudge

You say a shop already de-rusted your tank. Assuming they did a decent job: get a fuel filter. They are only a few dollars and can help prevent a bad day from dislodged rust or bad gas. If you install one, always keep a spare on the bike in case the one that is installed clogs up.
And yeah, you are probably going to have to open your carbs. Stop delaying the inevitable with off the shelf mystery oils and additives. Those almost never work. Gasoline is a pretty serious solvent. What could possibly be in the in-tank carb cleaner that is harsher than gasoline but you still want it to go through your engine?

I tried de-rusting a tank for the first time recently. The bike had sat with 1/3 tank of gas for at least 5 years. Probably more like 7 years. I went the cheap route and used a few gallons of white vinegar and a few handfuls of stainless steel hardware. Plug it all up with the nuts/bolts and vinegar in the tank and give it a vigorous shake as much as you can for a day. Make sure you count the pieces of hardware that go in so you know you got it all out.
Worked on the tank I tried it on. I installed clear fuel line and a fuel filter to check my work by keeping an eye out for rust in the gas. After running rough for the first half tank that was a orangy color, its now perfectly clear. Swap in a fresh fuel filter to be safe. Bike runs perfectly.

MaxD

While I have the tank off to clean the carbs, I will either clean it myself or take it into a shop for a better cleaning than I could do (they must have something like a paint shaker for these jobs).  I'm just waiting for my materials to arrive to get on that carb cleaning job. 

But, if it is a rust blockage and not fuel varnish, then apparently the tank might well rust up again in a few years time.  If storing the tank with oil over the winter will not cure that, then that would be a real design weakness.  Reminds me of some American cars of the 1970's, where the chrome plating on the bumpers was so thin they would start rusting when the car was only a few years old. 

The clear fuel line with filter is a great idea.   I believe I will incorporate that along with the ON-OFF valve idea to be able to suck the carbs dry when the bike is parked awhile. 

I'm not hearing from you guys that you think that the Berryman will actually damage the bike.  Enough to treat 3 tanks of gas costs $4, so it is pretty cheap maintenance.  So, since I am going to do what I can to keep this problem from recurring, I am still considering that as a regular maintenance step.  Fuel preservative alone is not working--maybe this will help more to reduce the carbs getting varnished (if that is part of the problem).  That would be, use an ounce per gallon of gas to treat a tank about once every 10 tanks of gas or once a year or once an oil change, whichever is sooner. 

I'm not able to ride thousands of miles a year like a lot of you apparently do.  So, I'm looking for a manageable system that will keep these carbs clear on 500 to 1000 miles a year.  Even after I have learned how to clean the carbs, I don't want to have to do it every year.  Hopefully the whole combo of keeping the carbs drained for longer parking periods, keeping the fuel treated, a fuel filter, and oiling the tank over the winter will do the trick to permanently prevent this irritating fouled carb problem. 

It's not just the GS500. I recall that when I was last in the shop they had a brochure advertising a gas additive that was supposed to reduce these alcohol blended gas problems that occur in many bikes.  However, I have forgotten whether that was a gas preservative or a fuel system cleaner like the Berryman. 

Thanks for the advice...

user11235813

You could every now and again use a premium high octane fuel which usually has quality additives in the form of detergents or whatever, this was recommenced to me and the high octane won't do any harm it's just a waste of money. However I'm sure someone will step in and correct this.

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk