News:

New Wiki available at http://wiki.gstwins.com -Check it out or contribute today!

Main Menu

Explain Something To Me

Started by pliskin, May 03, 2013, 09:56:47 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

pliskin

All this ridiculous cat stuff has me questioning logic.

How can someone defend the practice of keeping an animal as a pet? Is this not just for ones own personal pleasure?

I believe cats, dogs, hamsters, goldfish, whatever.... where not meant for people to keep as pets...slaves to the whims of humans. Mere objects of pleasure to fill some void in human existence. Sometimes this dependency runs so deep the master will defend his/her pet property to the death, or so they say.

So, answer me this. Why is it ok to own pets? Why is ok to keep them caged? Why is ok to keep them locked behind a sliding glass doors when they want to be outside? Why should they have to wait to get walked on a leash? Why is it ok for you to decide what they eat? Why do you defend your right to not own, but keep a pet?

Do you honestly believe any animal would chose living with humans over living with their kind had they not been forced into servitude never knowing their true origins? Had humans not breed them into mutants of their true form would they really need you?

I think this says it all

domesticate
do·mes·ti·cate
[duh-mes-ti-keyt] Show IPA verb, do·mes·ti·cat·ed, do·mes·ti·cat·ing.
verb (used with object)
1. to convert (animals, plants, etc.) to domestic uses; tame.
2. to tame (an animal), especially by generations of breeding, to live in close association with human beings as a pet or work animal and usually creating a dependency so that the animal loses its ability to live in the wild.
3. to adapt (a plant) so as to be cultivated by and beneficial to human beings.
4. to accustom to household life or affairs.
5. to take (something foreign, unfamiliar, etc.) for one's own use or purposes; adopt.

It's nothing more than animal slavery IMO. This is what I believe.

Rebuttals anyone?
Why are you looking here?

codajastal

You really need to HTFU and get over it? Go ask these questions on a pet forum where they can answer you and stop crying like a little baby FFS :dunno_black:
I am not interested in anything you have to say
Don't bother talking to me, I will not answer you

pliskin

Quote from: codajastal on May 03, 2013, 10:01:12 PM
You really need to HTFU and get over it? Go ask these questions on a pet forum where they can answer you and stop crying like a little baby FFS :dunno_black:
No offense, but this is exactly the type of response I'd expect a diehard pet "owner" to give when they get backed into a corner.

I don't really GAF what people do with animals. Eat them, cage them, BBQ, whatever...I don't care. I don't have that problem 'cause I don't care to keep an animal. I just eat the ones that taste good to me because I'm on top of the food chain. But don't get all high and mighty and think you are doing your pet a favor by taking care if it. (I'm not referring to you specifically codajastal but this is the ods n ends forum. I can ask what color underwear everyone likes.)

This whole cat love/hate thing is a joke when you break it down.

codajastal

Quote from: pliskin on May 03, 2013, 10:26:22 PM
No offense, but this is exactly the type of response I'd expect a diehard pet "owner" to give when they get backed into a corner.
I am not offended nor do I feel like I am backed into a corner.
I was a Veterinary Assistant for 3 years at the local SPCA hospital and have seen some crazy shaZam! that no-one should ever see and can tell you I would rather have pets than give them to people the likes of you that dont GAF about their lives. Domestic animals have been on this planet as long as human being has and if the animals kept by the decent people did not want to be there they would run away first chance they got. You try to tell me my animals are not happy being pets then you are so idiotic to believe that. Its not about keeping pets its about companionship where the animals have a better life than they would EVER have in the wild.

Slack

We have 3 cats.  All three were strays and on the verge of death via starvation when we took them in.  I KNOW all three are happy to have a warm place to sleep, a bowl full of food, and love and attention, even if that means they have to wait on me to open the screen door for them.
Quote from: MeeLee on June 07, 2015, 07:14:25 PM
Be aware, this is not very wise advise!

pliskin

Oh, but I do care about their lives. I wish people would have just left them alone and never domesticated them. Did you see the definition of domesticate? We cause most of their problems then bittch about having to fix them. My whole point is that we have no business breeding animals to fit into our homes. A cat with big eyes and a nose it can't breath through, or a dog 6 inches long? Really? I don't care how long ago this started  it does not make it ok today.

By the way, domesticated animals have not been here as long as humans. Humans domesticated animals. Humans did this to animals.

yamahonkawazuki

Quote from: pliskin on May 03, 2013, 10:52:12 PM
Oh, but I do care about their lives. I wish people would have just left them alone and never domesticated them. Did you see the definition of domesticate? We cause most of their problems then bittch about having to fix them. My whole point is that we have no business breeding animals to fit into our homes. A cat with big eyes and a nose it can't breath through, or a dog 6 inches long? Really? I don't care how long ago this started happened it does not make it ok today.
then why the plethora of anti cat pics youve posted if yyou dont care. are you trying to start something? what gives, if you dislike cats that much to the point whre youd rather anger those that care for them, just ignore hte thread. or ignore whatever post.
my 2 cats, which also were abused by the PO's are more than grateful to be in my home. the orange cat dammit, is alerted me to when my health crashed. ive been on deaths door 3 times in the past year. SEVERE hypoglycemia, kidneyys shutting down etc. my BS was 14. i value them as they do me. dammit sits beside me as i type this. he goes where i do. since ive rescued( actually stolen) him, hes come out of his mental shell. but as ive said, if you dislike cats or dogs or lizards or whatever, that much,m then ignore the threads that contain them.
if you must post in a thread thats beeen felined, ignore said post and move on. it is that simple.  there are things i dislike severely here. the cat abuse or even proposed abuse for one. in 10 years here, ive NEVER used the ignore list. EVER. but have come close tonight twice.
actually am using it on one person for the time being. there is no need for it. ever. i dont see even remotely a need for some of hte postings youve made ( anti cat, dog or whatnot)
Jan 14 2010 0310 I miss you mom
Vielen dank Patrick. Vielen dank
".
A proud Mormon
"if you come in with the bottom of your cast black,
neither one of us will be happy"- Alan Silverman MD

RossLH

For the purpose of laziness, I'm going to stick with dogs for my response.

Dating hundreds of thousands of years back, the domestication of dogs has been a symbiotic relationship. Canines provide protection for humans in return for food and shelter. This dates back to near prehistoric ages. It's nothing new. Did neanderthals own wolves? Not even a little bit. Canines are intelligent animals. The wolves could have left at any time--but they didn't. Not because they were in captivity, but because they recognized the situation at hand.

Fast forward a few millenia. Humans can now officially "own" dogs, amongst many other animals. This domestication has sprung from an age old symbiotic relationship. Is that still the case? Most definitely not. But if you feed a dog for a couple months and set them free into the wilderness don't be surprised when they come right back.

If you want to address domestication, that originally happened because it was beneficial to both humans and the animal(s) in question. In modern times, such a relationship is nowhere near the same, but the effects of thousands of years of domestication can't be reversed by simply rejecting the notion of owning pets. Why do people own pets? Because domesticated pets exist, and without the help of humans, they cannot persist.

Janx101

Holy crap..... (Picks up phone) ... 'Is that popcorn2U??... Yeah! .. Cool.... Can I have an express delivery please?.. Mmhhhm! ... Yep... Oh about... 12 kilos?... Yeah credit card on delivery?!.. Cool ...see ya!'

.... Right.... Off we go then!  :icon_twisted:

Kijona

I don't suppose you support gun ownership either, hmm?

Poor guns. They need to be set free. Gone are the days where they could roam free in the fields, shooting wildlife and occasionally people on their own. Now they need the help of humans to do it. What a shame.

Big Rich

I think we need to differentiate between types of domestication. Humans domesticated dogs / cats / fish / whatever as pets, yes. But domestication of animals to be slaughtered (cows, chickens, pigs, etc) has brought on the possibility of civilization. Once nomads were able to grow crops, and also able to get meat in the same place, cities began to come about. That's all whole other story though.

As far as domestication of pets goes: as long as an animal is treated with respect as a pet, it would lead a much longer, "happier" life than in the wild. Maybe happier isn't the correct term...... anyways, it has become a symbiotic relationship. Dogs were domesticated to help with cattle and protect the family unit. Cats were worshipped as gods in Egyptian times. And fish were given the opportunity to hang out in small ponds and bowls and not have to worry about being eaten. Every pet has the opportunity to live a longer, healthier life than their wild counterparts. And we as humans, get many benefits as well. Protection, friendship, inner peace, etc.

Back to motorcycles.......

Edit: Good answer Ross. Beat me to it.....
83 GR650 (riding / rolling project)

It's opener there in the wide open air...

yamahonkawazuki

Quote from: Big Rich on May 03, 2013, 11:12:13 PM
I think we need to differentiate between types of domestication. Humans domesticated dogs / cats / fish / whatever as pets, yes. But domestication of animals to be slaughtered (cows, chickens, pigs, etc) has brought on the possibility of civilization. Once nomads were able to grow crops, and also able to get meat in the same place, cities began to come about. That's all whole other story though.

As far as domestication of pets goes: as long as an animal is treated with respect as a pet, it would lead a much longer, "happier" life than in the wild. Maybe happier isn't the correct term...... anyways, it has become a symbiotic relationship. Dogs were domesticated to help with cattle and protect the family unit. Cats were worshipped as gods in Egyptian times. And fish were given the opportunity to hang out in small ponds and bowls and not have to worry about being eaten. Every pet has the opportunity to live a longer, healthier life than their wild counterparts. And we as humans, get many benefits as well. Protection, friendship, inner peace, etc.

Back to motorcycles.......

Edit: Good answer Ross. Beat me to it.....
Many thanks rich. i think youve captured what i wanted to say.
my cat dammit, has helped me get over the death of my mom which still haunts me. but we just sit together, and he knows when im troubled he wont move at all. which to me means alot.  Anyways ladies and gentlemen, this whole anti cat fiasco, brings me to a point here. I reconnected my net service to return here. i think it was too soon. That being said, i am withdrawing from gstwin for hte time being. who kn9ows how long, i dont.  But this anti cat or dog thing, has put me on edge. and its not a good place for me. So i am leaving temprarily till i cool off.
    Will keep in touch with those i have ties to, business dealings with etc. but every thing else, im done here tli things return to some form of normalcy  thissite ive been a part of for a decade come june, has degraded to a point wher ei dont feel comfortable anymore. so i bid everyone here a fond adieu. I wish yall the best, and as they say in italian,
Chi rispetta sará  rispettato ( respect others and you will be respected. )
along with ( for my firends here. whom i actually care about/for
Amici e vini sono meglio vecchie ( old friends and old wine are best)  Adieu my friends and E family lol.  i wish you nothing but hte best. take care.  buddha, and others  here i will keep in touch via PM.
Aaron
Jan 14 2010 0310 I miss you mom
Vielen dank Patrick. Vielen dank
".
A proud Mormon
"if you come in with the bottom of your cast black,
neither one of us will be happy"- Alan Silverman MD

codajastal

Quote from: yamahonkawazuki on May 03, 2013, 11:31:10 PMAnyways ladies and gentlemen, this whole anti cat fiasco, brings me to a point here. I reconnected my net service to return here. i think it was too soon. That being said, i am withdrawing from gstwin for hte time being. who kn9ows how long, i dont.  But this anti cat or dog thing, has put me on edge. and its not a good place for me. So i am leaving temprarily till i cool off.
    Will keep in touch with those i have ties to, business dealings with etc. but every thing else, im done here tli things return to some form of normalcy  thissite ive been a part of for a decade come june, has degraded to a point wher ei dont feel comfortable anymore. so i bid everyone here a fond adieu. I wish yall the best,
Aaron
Dont forget me when youre gone my friend :kiss3: :cheers:

codajastal

Quote from: yamahonkawazuki on May 03, 2013, 11:05:05 PMin 10 years here, ive NEVER used the ignore list. EVER. but have come close tonight twice.

I have 3 people in my blocked/ignore list :tongue2: Up until today I only had 1 :dunno_black:

Janx101

Quote from: codajastal on May 03, 2013, 11:52:00 PM
Quote from: yamahonkawazuki on May 03, 2013, 11:05:05 PMin 10 years here, ive NEVER used the ignore list. EVER. but have come close tonight twice.

I have 3 people in my blocked/ignore list :tongue2: Up until today I only had 1 :dunno_black:

Ooh ooh!! ... Am I famous then?!  :flipoff:

slipperymongoose

What the f%$k is going on in this place?
Some say that he submitted a $20000 expense claim for some gravel

And that if he'd write a letter of condolance he would at least spell your name right.

Janx101

Reckon it's all the stresses leading up to Mother's Day next week.....  :dunno_black:

slipperymongoose

I had my Mother's Day stuff sorted last week whilst on a ride.
Some say that he submitted a $20000 expense claim for some gravel

And that if he'd write a letter of condolance he would at least spell your name right.

john

There is more to this site than a message board.  Check out http://www.gstwin.com

Fear the banana hammer!

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk