Sooooooo, what do you want for christmas, or xmas, or whatever you choose to call it?

Started by yamahonkawazuki, December 17, 2016, 09:27:24 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Watcher

Core i5 is what I have in my gaming PC.  Built it about 5 years ago now, still plenty of power for modern games.  My GPUs are a little outpaced, though.  Still using some EVGA GTX670FTW cards.  With a little help from an SLi bridge I can still run most modern games comfortably on medium settings, if I pick and choose some of the advanced graphics settings I can get high textures but reduced visual effects.

Might grab some 900 series cards if I can find a good deal on them.  Then after that if I'm not willing to go into overclocking maybe I'll consider going i7.
"The point of a journey is not to arrive..."

-Neil Peart

yamahonkawazuki

its weird an entry lever i5 (socket 1155) is almost 10 LESS than my i3 2100 lol
Aaron
but either way will have to wait until after new years price cuts anyways
Jan 14 2010 0310 I miss you mom
Vielen dank Patrick. Vielen dank
".
A proud Mormon
"if you come in with the bottom of your cast black,
neither one of us will be happy"- Alan Silverman MD

qcbaker

Watcher, the 10 series cards are highly recommended if you can afford them. But the 900s will still be a sizable upgrade. As for the i5 vs i7, i7 is overkill for almost any gaming application. There's basically no situation in which having an i5 instead of an i7 will be your bottleneck. Much more productive to invest in a better GPU.

As for your processor yama, make sure that whatever processor you upgrade to has the same socket as your current one, otherwise you'll need to upgrade your motherboard too.

yamahonkawazuki

oh i know. a friend is giving me a 1gb 7750. which will take p[lace of my 1gb 4870. my mobo is a socket 1155. hoping to do this before too long tbh. within a few mos at most. the gpu will be in , in a few days.
Aaron
".
A proud Mormon

yamahonkawazuki

Been wanting one of those as well. They sell them on TV around here. The atomic lighter lol. But no matter what its used for it does well.
Aaron
".
A proud Mormon

yamahonkawazuki

Slight bonus, friend showed me how to get windows 10 free ( via microsoft) and it upgraded and activated. now the only thing holding me back is not having say 8gb of ddr3 and or (both?) an i5 upgrade. trying to get in as a lab rat ( i.e. clinical trials) this will pay both for christmas as well as comp upgrades lol
Aaron
".
A proud Mormon

yamahonkawazuki

".
A proud Mormon

yamahonkawazuki

material wise doing anything for christmas wont be happening. ( death in family) . thats okay though. having love of family means more than anything else. oh that 7750 is pretty much dead. tried to mount and run it. no output. i think it died in trANsit. C'est la vie lol. anyhoo looking at the future, ill invest in a cpu first then a gpu. eyeballing both an i5 and 7. thb would rather have a 7. but fwiw. a 5 would suffice.
Aaron
this 3 is a sandy bridge. the new 5s and 7s are a bit nicer than the sandy bridges. 
".
A proud Mormon

Watcher

-Neil Peart

yamahonkawazuki

was my uncle. he had heart surgery 10 days ago, was out of hosp. for 4 days then that :/ . hell he made it 75 years though. which in my book you did well .
Aaron
".
A proud Mormon

yamahonkawazuki

".
A proud Mormon

qcbaker

Looks like a fine keyboard to me. :dunno_black:

Looks like it uses TTC switches instead of Cherry MX. That isn't necessarily a bad thing, but I've never used anything but Cherry MX switches so I don't really know how they compare. I prefer Brown style (tactile bump, no audible click) but that's just personal preference. I know Watcher speaks highly of ROCCAT stuff, but I haven't personally used anything from them yet so I can't speak to build quality or anything like that.

yamahonkawazuki

aappreciate the input Qc, its going to be awhile anyways lol. unless one maagically shows at a thrift store.
Aaron
".
A proud Mormon

Watcher

Quote from: qcbaker on January 09, 2018, 07:29:38 AM
Looks like a fine keyboard to me. :dunno_black:

I know Watcher speaks highly of ROCCAT stuff, but I haven't personally used anything from them yet so I can't speak to build quality or anything like that.

I'm a big fan of the ROCCAT mice, never used one of their keyboards but that's because for a while they had literally zero mechanical options.  If my CMStorm Quickfire TK takes a crap any time soon I'll probably get the Suora.  Especially because the ROCCAT keyboard software syncs up with the mouse and expands the functionality.

Not using Cherry MX switches isn't necessarily a bad thing.  IIRC the patent on Cherry's MX style switches has ended or something allowing anyone to copy them, and many companies are with good success.

Razer is a fine example, they use their own versions of blue/brown/red switches in the form of green/orange/yellow, yet nobody really has any complaints about Razer stuff (at least not against the switches).  A tangible example of the cost difference would be in the TTe Poseidon, as the Poseidon is available with genuine Cherry MX blue switches as well as the TTe made blue switches.  The Cherry version is around $100, while the TTe switch version is just $75.

-Neil Peart

yamahonkawazuki

i bought a cheap rgb . it was utter crap. but hey what could i expect.  lol. so plugged the old k120 back in. for now. next on list is a decent (4gb 6650 i believe. better than my 4650  and decent price. sure overkill, but fwiw, a decent investment. cause when i upgrade cpu or rebuild it will fit in nicely.
Aaron
".
A proud Mormon

qcbaker

Quote from: Watcher on January 10, 2018, 08:58:28 PM
Razer is a fine example, they use their own versions of blue/brown/red switches in the form of green/orange/yellow, yet nobody really has any complaints about Razer stuff (at least not against the switches).

You know what, I accidentally lied about not having used anything but Cherry MX. I have a Razer Blackwidow keyboard that I use at work. Completely forgot the Razer switches are proprietary and not Cherry MX. I actually haven't had a very good experience with this keyboard. I've found that after a while, some of the keys like to register multiple presses instead of just one. I don't know if mine is an outlier or if this is common with their stuff, but I won't be buying another Razer keyboard when I upgrade. (Technically I didn't even really buy this one, it was a gift.)

yamahonkawazuki

iirc ive used a razer mouse but not a kb. always liked logitech though. always preferred logitech. but heck, no matter who makes it, always mechanical kbs im a noisy typist, just liked the feel.
Aaron
".
A proud Mormon

Watcher

I've had a Razer Orbweaver for years that uses the green switches.  No issues here aside from the adhesive they used on the pad getting soft and oozing out.

@qc  I'd contact Razer and see what they say.

-Neil Peart

yamahonkawazuki

even if out of warrfanty like my g5 was by a year, i asked if there was anyway i could repair it, they sent me another one.  worth trying at least Eh?
Aaron
".
A proud Mormon

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk