News:

The simplest way to help GStwin is to use this Amazon link to shop

Main Menu

SV650 rear shock install problem

Started by Nudie, November 17, 2017, 05:28:02 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Nudie

Hi guys I'm new around here (but not to bikes). I've picked up an SV650 rear shock to jack up the back of the bike to match the height of the DRZ400 front end I'm in the process of fitting. But on trying to fit it I find that the extra diameter of the shock means that it hits/rubs on the swingarm. Even if I drilled another hole in the clevis above the existing hole it is still the same.
I've tried searching the forum for anyone else having the same issue, but no luck so far.
So before I take the die grinder to the swingarm and make clearance, has anybody else found a non destructive solution?

Bluesmudge

Which version of the SV shock do you have? As far as I know, the one that fits is the very earliest model. 2001 I think. Your shock should be yellow not white.
I can't help much since I have never done the mod myself.

I would like to know more about the DRZ front end!

Endopotential

I had to grind the swingarm for the eventual R6 shock upgrade, but not the SV650.  I have some photos of the work, on my signature below.  The R6 has a much better ride quality, as it has dampening adjustment that the SV lacks.

The SV650 raised the end up quite a bit, even with me drilling holes about a inch above the stock ones.  Imagine your rear end will be really high up, but maybe that will match your new forks.  I also had to make a longer kickstand to go along with that version.
http://gstwins.com/gsboard/index.php?topic=70953.0

2007 GS500F Cafe Fighter - cut off the tail, K&N lunchbox, short exhaust, 20/60/140 jets, R6 shock, all sorts of other random bits...

Nudie

Thanks for the replies. I've no idea which model SV shock I got, but it does have a yellow spring.
When I get some parts back I'll take some pics of the DRZ front end swap, so remember, patience is a virtue.
Knowing that someone else has ground a bit of meat off the swingarm makes me feel better about doing it!
I'll definitely be extending the side stand and maybe even the centre stand if I don't get around to attaching a sidecar for a while

gregjet

A couple of things.
First the original question. I removed the swingarm and cut a section out of the shock touches. Welded a plate back in  ( a sort of wide U shape). Gave me enough clearence to clear most shocks that are going to go in there. Plenty of material to weld to and the construction should spread the load away from that area anyway. It's not chrome moly or anything so you welds should be OK.

Which DRZ front end are you using? The ordinary type forks or the DRZ400SM USD's? I have a bit of experience with the DRZSM's, including shortening the travel ( though not as much as you are going to want, but the same applies). The USD's can't be just slide down the upper leags to shorten as , if I remember correctly they have a tapered section between the clamp areas. They are good forks though and some great discs available for them.

Nudie

Looking at it, I think I might grind some material away to get the clearance I need. Then pull the swingarm out and see what a mess I've made, with the intention of welding a plate back in there as you have done.
The DRZ forks are the regular forks not USD. I'll probably shorten them a bit, because at the moment the swingarm angle necessary to level the bike up will see the chain trying to cut through the swingarm. But for $15 I can pick up another swingarm and use it to lengthen the original if it will help at all. I'm not going for a full on enduro beast so the massive travel and ground clearance won't be critical. In fact I'm watching a Vstrom 19" front wheel online for a reasonable price. It would give me a lot of options for "adventure" type tubeless front tyres as well as a slight height reduction (seat height isn't a big deal as I'm 6'3").

Nudie

Well I ground away a heap of material and got clearance for the shock. Looks like I'll have to weld a bit of plate back in there because I've ground right through to open air! Then I had to grind a bit off the lever bit(?) that links the swingarm, shock and dog bones too. Plus, I've drilled another hole in the shock clevis about 20mm higher than the original hole. It all fits together and once I get back from work (I travel around a fair bit) I will get some photos posted because we all love photos!
Hopefully I'll have the front end mounted again soon too

ShowBizWolf

I'm very much looking forward to pics!!

I picked up an SV shock not that long ago but haven't gotten the time to mess around with it yet. I did come across a thread where someone else also had to grind some metal off the linkage to get it to fit right.

I had to grind down some of that space on the swing arm when I wanted to put 1" raising links on in combination with the R6 shock swap.
Superbike bars, '04 GSXR headlight & cowl, DRZ signals, 1/2" fork brace, 'Busa fender, stainless exhaust & brake lines, belly pan, LED dash & brake bulbs, 140/80 rear hoop, F tail lens, SV650 shock, Bandit400 hugger, aluminum heel guards & pegs, fork preload adjusters, .75 SonicSprings, heated grips

J_Walker

I always feel bad for all the guys with the stolen R6's, knowing full well the GS500 guys are suckin up their parts...  :icon_twisted: :-X
-Walker

Jim Knopf

Quote from: ShowBizWolf on November 20, 2017, 10:23:45 PM

I had to grind down some of that space on the swing arm when I wanted to put 1" raising links on in combination with the R6 shock swap.

If you need shorter Raising links, sent me a PM with your Adress.  8)

gregjet

" I always feel bad for all the guys with the stolen R6's, knowing full well the GS500 guys are suckin up their parts."
Crashed R6's more like... There are a LOT of them...

Nudie

Sorry for the lack of progress here, but work has been hectic. I'm actually in Western Australia at the moment working for a few days (I live on the East coast). So no photos just yet. But in one of the rare days that I was home I got a little done.
To fit the DRZ triples I had the original GS stem modded to fit and mounted it along with the DRZ forks. I picked up a Vstrom front wheel but found that it is wider than the gap between the forks. To get it to fit I'd have to machine down the wheel hub and the inside edge of the forks. That won't leave me with any confidence that they will stay in one piece considering it's intended use.
So it looks like I'll have to go with a DRZ wheel after all. I'm not happy this way because I wanted to run tubeless tyres (so easy to fix punctures!) and now they will be odd wheels front and rear.
I could fit a Vstrom front end, but the price of decent forks is through the roof!
Anyway I should get home in the next few days and I'll try and get some photos posted, because I know how much we all love photos!

gregjet

Nudie, Have a search for Warp 9 motard wheels ( solids). They will take tubeless and should be available for DRZ ( both SM and E). Buy direct from USA. Should allow you to run a bigger front disc as well.
Where are you on the east coast?
The only thing is that the narrower DRZ forks will  flex more when leaning because the GS chassis is a lot torsionally rigid ( than a DRZ). Never thought I would say a GS frame was too rigid...

Nudie

I've seen the Warp9 wheels, very nice. But, this is a budget project so I'm trying to do it on the cheap. It's actually for a charity ride in October next year called the Scrapheap Adventure Ride. The premise is that you get a bike for less than $1,000, get it going and meet up in a far off location (next years hasn't been announced yet). Usually out of the way somewhere, so that's why I'm going for a bit more "adventurous" suspension.
I have a few options with front suspension/wheels so I just have to make up my mind which way to go. It Will just take a bit of time with all the travel I do for work (plus when I'm home I have 4 other bikes and a car, so time is spread between them all).
The DRZ forks are 49mm so should be up for the beating that I'll be dishing out.
PS I live on the NSW South coast.

ajensen

The Scrapheap Adventure Ride sounds cool--it is too bad I am in Tennessee, USA, which is a little far away.

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk