Author Topic: New to this forum, old to the joys of having my knees in the wind  (Read 29 times)

Offline 70pelle

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Local Club Racer
Hello.  Found this place looking for info on a 2004 GS500F, my two sons and I have rescued.  I had been living the life as a beaten old dog, that was left to die on some ones back porch.  The owner had cut the muffler off, and ran it so hot.  I quit running and warped the cylinder head to the point it wouldn't run anymore.  Plus the fact never had a bath or maintenance.  It did have a new rear tire at one point, still had the new rubber nubbs on it.  But only on the side walls, the middle was burned down past the wear bars.
   With 13k on the clock I took the chance and brought it home.  Pulled the top end apart, shipped out parts for machine work and clean up. A couple of new pistons, gaskets, manual chain tensioner, used but not abused Two Brothers Muffler.  New brakes front & rear along with tires.  And lots of cleaning.

I have been riding for 40 years.  Started out on a Harley Sportster and moved up as I grew up.  I have owned a bunch of Harley's though the years.  Now I'm retired and I primarily restore older Harley's.  And that's all I ride is old bikes, And I keep up with all the new stuff.  My main focus is the Shovelhead Harley Davidson, I currently have three a 1967,1970,1973 all in riding condition.
But I don't think bad of anyone who rides, that's what its all about. Getting out there and enjoying the ride, its good for the soul.

Ken

Offline Bluesmudge

• Trade Count: (+4)
  • World Superbike Racer
Re: New to this forum, old to the joys of having my knees in the wind
« Reply #1 on: December 01, 2017, 12:13:06 AM »
Welcome! Thanks for taking the time, money, and effort to put a neglected GS500 back on the road.