Author Topic: Oil leak from near front sprocket cover/stator cover  (Read 147 times)

Offline kryptek49

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Local Club Racer
Oil leak from near front sprocket cover/stator cover
« on: December 01, 2017, 10:26:02 AM »
Hi all, I bought an 08 GS500f with 18,000 miles on the clock this month.

When purchased, there did not appear to be any oil leakage under the bike.

I have noticed that after riding the bike there is oil leaking from around the left engine casing area.  I'm having a hard time pinpointing the leak though.

I have pulled off the sprocket cover and cleaned the huge amount of crap built up behind it, however the oil leak still is there so I don't believe it was related to this.

I've ordered a new gasket for the stator cover, incase the leak is coming from there - but does anyone have any thoughts on other places it might be - or how to check?

Any thoughts?

I've attached some photos here: https://imgur.com/gallery/Q4u07

Offline J_Walker

• World Superbike Racer
  • EST 01/22/1994
Re: Oil leak from near front sprocket cover/stator cover
« Reply #1 on: December 01, 2017, 05:52:44 PM »
there's a little rubber grommet that electrical wiring goes into, could be there.

there's a little rubber gasket/seal thats behind the spocket mainshaft. and behind the clutch pushrod [the little metal rod that slides right out] those two can also get warn, go bad. both I believe come out without having to take the case halves apart. that can also leak oil, besides the gasket of course.

clean the whole inside REAL good, and sprinkle baby powder/talc powder over everything turn on the bike, let it idle for a few seconds, a small leak will be seen as the talc soaks up the oil
-Walker

Offline kryptek49

• Local Club Racer
« Reply #2 on: December 01, 2017, 07:18:30 PM »
Do you mean put talc inside the front sprocket cover to check for the leak??

Offline J_Walker

• World Superbike Racer
  • EST 01/22/1994
« Reply #3 on: December 02, 2017, 12:07:34 AM »
yeah all over the case/where oil might be leaking from, but everything has to be super clean, should rinse off with water EZ after your test.
-Walker

Offline penguin7316

• Local Club Racer
« Reply #4 on: December 03, 2017, 02:41:50 AM »
I watched a you tube video and oil from this area was coming from the chain. Over time chain lube builds up and runs out from the casing where the gear change shaft comes out. They said to pull the cover and clean out all the old chain lube and the leak will stop. It is a common thing with people thinking that it is coming from a gasket or the gear shaft oil seal when it is coming from the chain and around the front sprocket. It is just a build up of old chain lube in this area. It looks like the cover over it comes off easy. You will probably have to take the gear change lever off to get the cover off but this is easy to do. The old lube gets soft and starts running when the engine gets hot.
« Last Edit: December 03, 2017, 03:20:23 AM by penguin7316 »

Offline user11235813

• Formula Extreme Racer
« Reply #5 on: December 03, 2017, 10:20:49 AM »
Yeah that looks like the stator cover gasket. Get yourself some high temperature silicone sealant as well for the flat part of the rubber grommet. You might have to spend some time scraping the old gasket off, this can be done with the cover still attached to the wiring just have something to rest it on. Be careful putting the cover back on as the magnets will pull it on sharply and you can misalign the gasket if you're not ready for it and it catches you by surprise.

Offline kryptek49

• Local Club Racer
« Reply #6 on: December 04, 2017, 09:36:37 AM »
Over time chain lube builds up and runs out from the casing where the gear change shaft comes out.

Yeah this was my first thought, however I have cleaned this to the best of my abilities and the leak is still there.

Yeah that looks like the stator cover gasket. Get yourself some high temperature silicone sealant as well for the flat part of the rubber grommet.

Is the sealant necessary? I just assumed all I had to do was pull the old gasket off and put the new one on?

Offline rg500gamma

• Formula Extreme Racer
« Reply #7 on: December 04, 2017, 10:30:58 AM »
I got fram oil filters with bad orings ,  brand new  from autozone  , leaks  big time  ,  for now  I will only buy  genuine  Suzuki  oil filters  , ( that was my oil leak solution )  :thumb:
Some people   say  Disneyland  is the happiest place on earth ,  I say  Playboy  Mansion ..............

Offline ShowBizWolf

• Ninja turtle...in a van
  • Trade Count: (+6)
  • MotoGP Racer
  • Support Shelly's rescue at tinykittens.com
« Reply #8 on: December 04, 2017, 09:56:38 PM »
When I replaced that gasket several months ago on my bike, I did not need any additional sealant around that rubber grommet. I just cleaned it all really well. The bike has been leak free now for months.

Just make sure you clean ALL the old gasket material off. And I mean all of it. It can be stubborn and you'll probably need lots of patience but it's critical to allowing the new gasket to seal properly. There's pics of when I did mine in my project thread.
Superbike bars, '04 GSXR750 headlight w/LED H7, '01 GSXR1000 signals, Chuck81 fork brace, '05 Busa fender, stainless exhaust & brake lines, LED dash & brake bulbs, 140/80 rear hoop, F tail lens, fenderectomy, R6 shock, 25mm raising links, underglow, Bandit400 hugger, aluminum heel guards and pegs

Offline user11235813

• Formula Extreme Racer
« Reply #9 on: December 05, 2017, 11:29:11 AM »

Is the sealant necessary? I just assumed all I had to do was pull the old gasket off and put the new one on?

It was recommended to me and I've seen it recommended elsewhere but it's not under pressure. It been two years for me and there's no leaks. You can probably get away without it as SBW has done but I think 'why not'.

Offline kryptek49

• Local Club Racer
« Reply #10 on: December 05, 2017, 01:55:55 PM »
When I replaced that gasket several months ago on my bike, I did not need any additional sealant around that rubber grommet. I just cleaned it all really well. The bike has been leak free now for months.

Just make sure you clean ALL the old gasket material off. And I mean all of it. It can be stubborn and you'll probably need lots of patience but it's critical to allowing the new gasket to seal properly. There's pics of when I did mine in my project thread.

Thanks, I've pulled off the cover now and the gasket is almost impossible to remove, are there any tips you've got for getting it off? Any products I can use to soften it?

Offline ShowBizWolf

• Ninja turtle...in a van
  • Trade Count: (+6)
  • MotoGP Racer
  • Support Shelly's rescue at tinykittens.com
« Reply #11 on: December 05, 2017, 07:58:45 PM »
I tried Permatex gasket remover, followed the instructions exactly and it did nothing. I ended up using a scotchbrite disc on my drill and literally sanding it off (actually I had my dad work on it while I worked on swapping the rear shock lol). It made the metal surface of the case as smooth as silk and did not scratch or gouge. There are pics and more details in my project thread talking about it. (About half way down if you click this link) http://gstwins.com/gsboard/index.php?topic=70880.320
Superbike bars, '04 GSXR750 headlight w/LED H7, '01 GSXR1000 signals, Chuck81 fork brace, '05 Busa fender, stainless exhaust & brake lines, LED dash & brake bulbs, 140/80 rear hoop, F tail lens, fenderectomy, R6 shock, 25mm raising links, underglow, Bandit400 hugger, aluminum heel guards and pegs

Offline user11235813

• Formula Extreme Racer
« Reply #12 on: December 07, 2017, 12:24:35 AM »

Thanks, I've pulled off the cover now and the gasket is almost impossible to remove, are there any tips you've got for getting it off? Any products I can use to soften it?

Yeah mine was baked on. In order to grind it with a special rubbery tool meant taking the wiring off which I didn't want to do. I used gasket remover which wasn't magic but it did soften it enough for me to patiently use a hard plastic credit card to scrape it off then I used a single sided razor, very carefully so as not to scratch the mating surface. It takes a while but it does come off. The only thing that caught me by surprise is that I did not realise that the cover is painted metallic silver, I thought it was polished aluminium. So it bubbled a bit of pain off where the gasket remover got on the front cover, but it wasn't that much of a big deal. It's either that or remove the wiring to take the cover off completely.

I'd go the gasket remover, it does soften it enough but it still requires some work. Take care when putting the cover with the new gasket on, be ready for the magnet to kick in.