Homemade custom muffler build (with pictures) - Second Attempt

Started by quiktaco, March 26, 2008, 10:38:12 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

bombadillo

No it doesn't, it has a baffle with packing around it.  Unless you have a huge bulge in your pipe somewhere that we don't know of.
GS500E with a bunch of cool stuff!

quiktaco

If I'm not mistaken I think everyone is correct.  There is an expansion area in a lot of 4 stroke mufflers.  It's not for the same purpose, and not built the same as the expansion chamber on a 2 stroke.  The 2 stoke expansion chamber is dramatic, and can be seen on modern 2 stroke dirt bikes.  Help the 2 stroke work properly.  I don't know the exact physics, but it helps draw the air or something so that the bike will run properly.

4 stroke expansion chambers are there to reduce the pressure that the exhaust gases are traveling to quiet the beast.  The sound waves enter and bounce around and some cancle eachother out.  Like I said, I don't know the exact physics behind this guy either, but expansion chambers are found on all sorts of mufflers for both 2 and 4 stroke.

I know I probably got something wrong in here, so correct me if I'm wrong.
147.5 mains / 40 pilots / 2.5 turns / 3 #4 / 2x 3/32" holes in slides / lunchbox / 15 tooth / Chopped Exhaust . Seat . Subframe

quiktaco

I've cut more of the pieces for the exhaust now.

The body will sit at just about 14.5 inches long instead of the original 11 inches that I first said.  The adapter ring is cut and almost ready for welding to the main body.  The baffle is partially cut and in the middle of being constructed. (I'm making a hybrid baffle.  It will have scoops to divert the sound waves, as well as holes to absorb the sound waves).  The front ring/plate that will be welded to the front of the baffle is almost ready for welding.

So far, it's been really easy making all the pieces.  Maybe spent a total of one hour now, cuting and getting things ready.

I'm hoping to get some of it welded this weekend and have it mostly constructed and ready to go.
147.5 mains / 40 pilots / 2.5 turns / 3 #4 / 2x 3/32" holes in slides / lunchbox / 15 tooth / Chopped Exhaust . Seat . Subframe

GeeP

What are the mitered slots in the small tube all about?
Every zero you add to the tolerance adds a zero to the price.

If the product "fails" will the product liability insurance pay for the "failure" until it turns 18?

Red '96
Black MK2 SV

quiktaco

That's the scoops.  They'll get bent in slightly which will force the sound waves into the fiberglass to be absorbed.  V&H has a similar baffle insert, and it was used it a lot in the past (I think it's older technology).  I think a lot of baffles are just perferated with holes now. I'm also going to drill holes all over where the scoops aren't.  Don't know if it will work well or not, but I'm trying it first.  I might end up going to a slightly larger baffle, and drill tons of holes, but that will be my second version if this one doesn't work.

GeeP

Every zero you add to the tolerance adds a zero to the price.

If the product "fails" will the product liability insurance pay for the "failure" until it turns 18?

Red '96
Black MK2 SV

Affschnozel

'97 GS500EV: Sonic Springs 0.85 + 15W 139mm oil level (Euro clip ons+preload caps),125/40 jets Uni filter + stock can, Goodridge SS line , LED blinkers ,Michelin Pilot Activ tyres ,GSXR1000 Rectifier
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=FLPRzDenm1w
http://www.dailymotion.com/video/x2tvoa

yamahonkawazuki

Quote from: makenzie71 on March 27, 2008, 06:04:00 PM
That's a pretty slick setup there, philward...but you have to direct the flow away from your rear tire.  Always keep that in mind.
45 degree bends :thumb: ( at the end of the cans) or perhaps a dual inlet, single outlet flowmaster?
Jan 14 2010 0310 I miss you mom
Vielen dank Patrick. Vielen dank
".
A proud Mormon
"if you come in with the bottom of your cast black,
neither one of us will be happy"- Alan Silverman MD

ben2go

PICS are GONE never TO return.

quiktaco

I have a snag in my project.  I've been using flux core wire with my welder since I got it, but haven't welded anything this thin.  Burns right through.  So now I guess I have an excuss to go get a argon/co2 tank.  Hopefully I'll be able to get that within this next week or so.  So for now this project is on hold.

Anyone know of a cheap place to get a tank in SoCal?  And where to get it filled?

spc

Quote from: GeeP on March 28, 2008, 07:46:46 PM
What are the mitered slots in the small tube all about?

The baffles in my exhausts have similar slots just significantly more (about 150) and smaller, completely encompassing the baffle.

quiktaco

Yeah, some have as little as 8 or even less, and some seem to have thousands.  With the means I had, I could only do the 16, so we'll see how good it works.  :dunno_white:

quiktaco

I got the welder to not burn through, so I worked on it for a few hours today and got most of it done.

Got a new adapter cause I cut the other one a little wrong.

Welded together all the pieces for the end of the baffle.

Both pieces laying together, so you can see how it will go together.

Inside the baffle.  I hit in all the scoops.  There are 16 total.

Started drilling all the wholes in the baffle, but quit, cause there's 75 or so.  I'll probably finish it up tomorrow.

Things are going very well and it looks like it'll be just one more day's work until I can actually mount it on and test it out.  I also recieved the fiberglass (thanks again).  I'm really glad I continued with this project.  If this works, it will be well worth the money that was spent.  I think the total so far is right around 20 dollars minus the hi temp paint which should only be 5ish.

scottpA_GS

~ 1990 GS500E Project bike ~ Frame up restoration ~ Yosh exhaust, 89 clipons, ...more to come...

~ 98 Shadow ACE 750 ~ Black Straight Pipes ~ UNI Filter ~ Dyno Jet Stage 1 ~ Sissy Bar ~

Yev

I really want to hear this thing when its all said and done. Keep up the great work!
Y2k Honda Interceptor
Miss my '07 GS500e :/

RobTheTyrant

I'm quite interested in what it's going to look like...  :thumb:
Grind the pegs down with asphault!

quiktaco

I'm going to mount it without welding it on initially, and test a few different versions for sound.  I'm going to try it without the baffle, and with.  And without the fiberglass and with.  I'll record all these different versions with the same parameters (distance away, placement, angle away, etc).  I'll rev it as well to the same rpm's so that I can have a real world sound, and not just idle.  I'll also comment on whether it feels lean or rich, or if it bogs, strains at high rpm, has lack of torque at low rpm, etc.  I'll also record the stock exhaust sound under these parameters so there can be a benchmark for testing.

quiktaco

This is how it all turned out.  I am extremely happy with this project.  The sound is great, and the overall cost of everything that was used was just under 20 dollars.  It's louder than stock by maybe 5 db, but very tolerable.  It's not annoying at all, and it's not going to attract police attention.  I video'd a bunch of variations so I could compare the sound of all of them.  (I'll post the links to those soon).  I ended up going with using just the baffle, without the fiberglass.  I really didn't expect it to calm the sound so much, but it's great!  Plus, it's better flowing than the stock muffler.  I'll definitely need to rejet it soon.  I'll probably start with 150 mains and go from there (have 140's now for the lunchbox).

There are 4 videos to show sound.  There's a stock, open pipes, baffle with fiberglass, and baffle without fiberglass.  The open pipes were pretty loud, but had a pretty cool sound to it.  I'd get pulled over constantly and my neighbors would hate me though.  The baffle with the fiberglass got it down to a good volume, but it had an odd high pitched sound to it.  It didn't really show up on the video, but it sounded like a high powered lawn mower.  The baffle without the fiberglass is very similar to with the fiberglass on the video, but in real life it only had the deeper tones.  It also flowed a lot better.  For some reason the fiberglass packing almost made if feel as restrictive as stock.  I'm pretty sure I'm going to leave the fiberglass out.  It really sounds amazing.  I honestly had low expectations for any descent sounding exhaust with this project, but it turned out exactly how I wanted it.

quiktaco

Here's the video links.  BTW I forgot to mention one other great thing about this project.  The stock can that was cut off weighs exactly 10 pounds even, and the new muffler weighs only about 2 pounds...if that (didn't weigh the custom one, only the stocker, but the custom is a feather compared to the other one).

Stock muffler - quiet, but heavy, restrictive, huge, ugly...you get the point
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=KkpuKjtT8fo

Without fiberglass - this is the one that I'm keeping - Turned out 10 times better than expected.  It's perfect!
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=aXr5tRvjUvw

Open pipes - pretty loud, kindof obnoxious, and would attract way too much attention
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=hse5LQcCLBk

With fiberglass - pretty quiet, but had a bad/annoying high pitched sound.  Sounded more like a high powered lawn mower
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6qLVLcEt-Wg

Tang

Very nice!

good choice on the one u picked

sorta liked the loud one

regardless all were awesome!

Good Work! :thumb:
1997 GS500E

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk