News:

Need a manual?  Buy a Haynes manual Here

Main Menu

ShowBizWolf's 1998 GS500E

Started by ShowBizWolf, August 10, 2016, 09:06:25 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

cbrfxr67

Everybody should have one of those.  We used to give that style away free with something, I forget what, but I have one at home along with eight other different ones.  Super handy and in case you need a jump, it'll do that too!  Good price on that one Show :thumb:
"Its something you take apart in 2-3 days and takes 10 years to go back together."
-buddha

cbrfxr67

You all finished show? No morez updates? :cry:
"Its something you take apart in 2-3 days and takes 10 years to go back together."
-buddha

ShowBizWolf

I feel the same way lol  :icon_sad:

The next thing on the list is still the front fork project... sonic springs and new inner tubes, seals, oil etc... but I've been paying down my credit card before I buy more stuff. I'm getting there!!

The cheapest I could find new inner tubes is a bit over $300. I'm hoping to buy them and the springs (I already have the seals, wipers and oil) in October and get working on it.

I did do a bit of body work on my van this past weekend... I want to put the pics in the other thread I started in O&E section. :thumb:
Superbike bars, '04 GSXR headlight & cowl, DRZ signals, 1/2" fork brace, 'Busa fender, stainless exhaust & brake lines, belly pan, LED dash & brake bulbs, 140/80 rear hoop, F tail lens, SV650 shock, Bandit400 hugger, aluminum heel guards & pegs, fork preload adjusters, .75 SonicSprings, heated grips

ShowBizWolf

Turtle Van needed a transmission rebuild last week so my fork plans have been pushed back once again... I did go ahead and finally buy the .75 sonic springs though.

Rode the bike harder and faster than I normally do today... a lot actually... and my license plate brackets I made 5 years ago broke at some point... lost my plate somewhere :technical: :technical: :technical: :technical: :technical:
Superbike bars, '04 GSXR headlight & cowl, DRZ signals, 1/2" fork brace, 'Busa fender, stainless exhaust & brake lines, belly pan, LED dash & brake bulbs, 140/80 rear hoop, F tail lens, SV650 shock, Bandit400 hugger, aluminum heel guards & pegs, fork preload adjusters, .75 SonicSprings, heated grips

peteGS

Oooops! Are they aluminium? I made my flyscreen brackets from some 0.8mm aluminium and the vibration/flex caused the left one to break on the bend lines... added a second layer for some reinforcement and they're now going strong  :thumb:

I also had a tail light bracket made out of 2.5mm aluminium which I thought was strong enough, but it also broke on a (curved) bend line after a while due to vibration/flex. That tail light was a little on the heavy side though.

Lesson learnt... if a bracket needs to carry weight, has bends, and will be subject to vibration or flex, use steel not aluminium.

Funnily enough my front mudguard mount which doubles as a sort of brace is made from the same 2.5mm aluminium and it's still going strong. When I bent it though, I made the bends very round.

Anyway, just a little hijack there ;)
'82 GS450E
'84 GSX1100S Katana

ShowBizWolf

Glad to see you're still checkin' in on me Pete!!

Yeah they were aluminum. Here in the Rust Belt, I don't use steel for much at all. I actually like how aluminum can bend a few times and then break because I don't have many proper cutting tools at my dad's shop for when I do body work on the side... dunno why it didn't occur to me that the same stinkin' thing would happen with these brackets. Hurr durr lol

Now I'm kinda thinking about getting a custom one that says something like SHOBZ or SBWLF etc.... dunno though cuz it's more moneyyyy

peteGS

Haha always checkin' ShowBiz!  :icon_razz:

I like working with aluminium for the same reasons, but I've learnt where and where not to use it.

As long as it's either got curved bends, lots of support, or it's completely flat it'll be fine. Thickness makes a big difference too. There are different grades but I'm not too sure on that side of things.

All I know is if it's going to be flexing/vibrating and hold any sort of weight (even a number plate), either get it supported or use steel. If you use galvanised steel it will help prevent the rusting, but best still to get some etch primer and paint on it.
'82 GS450E
'84 GSX1100S Katana

Big Rich

One of the machines where I work has a large ladder / work platform (the ones that have spring loaded wheels underneath) and it's made of aluminum. Well, the operator of the machine smashed into the ladder with a 5 ton piece..... I was standing next to the guy from machine repair when the operator said "it's just aluminum, bend it back!". I told the operator "thick aluminum bends ONE time, and you've obviously used your turn!".
83 GR650 (riding / rolling project)

It's opener there in the wide open air...

mr72

Quote from: peteGS on October 13, 2017, 01:10:15 PM
If you use galvanised steel it will help prevent the rusting, but best still to get some etch primer and paint on it.

Galvanized steel is notoriously difficult or impossible to paint. FYI. It takes specific paint chemistry to stick, in addition to unusual surface prep. Mostly the problem is nearly all common rattle can type paints are alkyd enamels these days and they absolutely will not stick to galvanized metal. Rust-Oleum, krylon, etc. Etching primer is a must. Then a compatible topcoat.

ShowBizWolf

I'm certainly a fan of etching primer! :D

peteGS

Yes indeed mr72! Galvanised can be a PITA, just did some with some aluminium yesterday... self etching primer + primer surfacer then satin black top coat. I looked into Rustoleum but not compatible with it so I used a local brand (Septone). I've used their self etching primer on galvanised before with good success.
'82 GS450E
'84 GSX1100S Katana

Endopotential

Hey Showbiz, was just reading on the other thread about you thinking of switching to an SV650 shock.

I went stock to SV650 to R6.  I think the R6 gives a much better ride as it's got dampening controls which the SV doesn't have. 
If you can find shorter dogbones that will work, I'd go that route.  And let us know where you find them, as I may be interested in doing the same  :D
http://gstwins.com/gsboard/index.php?topic=70953.0

2007 GS500F Cafe Fighter - cut off the tail, K&N lunchbox, short exhaust, 20/60/140 jets, R6 shock, all sorts of other random bits...

iamhiding

Quote from: Endopotential on October 31, 2017, 01:26:52 PM
Hey Showbiz, was just reading on the other thread about you thinking of switching to an SV650 shock.

I went stock to SV650 to R6.  I think the R6 gives a much better ride as it's got dampening controls which the SV doesn't have. 
If you can find shorter dogbones that will work, I'd go that route.  And let us know where you find them, as I may be interested in doing the same  :D

i agree with this, personally i wouldn't downgrade to the sv shock just to gain height :icon_lol: the problem with using dogbones that short is how dramatically it changes the leverage ratio Endo, it makes the gs shock almost solid with a 2'' lift so do so with the r6 shock would likely make the shock borderline unusable.

another thought showbiz is something i'm doing with another bike, extending the top mount where the shock attaches to the frame. it'll involve a bit of creativity and most likely welding but that way would let you keep the better r6 shock and lift the rear a little extra without messing with the leverage ratio too much. i'm going to be using a top mount similar to the early honda blackbirds (for example), its like a bolt on clevis. going to make a plate up so i bolt that style of clamp onto the frame which will allow for a good bit of adjustability as well.
current project list:
//cbr 600 f3 fighter
//gsxr 1100 mental oldskool supersport
//gs500 daily rat tracker cafe fighter that changes every couple of month... cafe fighter?

ShowBizWolf

This is all some very good food for thought!!

My aim was just to see what the bike felt like with the added height (and looked like too, not gonna lie!!) The reason I was asking about the shock and dogbones is because:

1) I feel as though I don't ride in a way that makes me really realize the benefits of the R6 shock... yanno like I'm never gonna ride my bike in a way that I'll be using it to its full potential.

2) I don't feel comfortable grinding/removing any more off of the swing arm to put even shorter dogbones on with the R6 shock. There just wasn't enough room to begin with and I don't wanna remove any more from that spot. There's a hole there now lol from all I had to remove... and I coated all the bare metal with Por15... so I really don't wanna re-visit that spot honestly.

Endo, I know in the past I've searched into eBay "GS500 jack up" and that's how you find raising links on there. If you search for those words, you should find some links in different lengths. I do believe the last time I checked, there were ones that'd do the 2" lift. Was gonna get those and just throw my stock shock back on but then I thought more about going the SV route.

ShowBizWolf

Well, I found a deal I couldn't pass up. SV650 shock + linkage for $17.38, shipped.

If nothing else, I'll gain some more knowledge and take some pics along the way for others to learn from or just be entertained by lol  :thumb:

J_Walker

SV650 shock should be good.

Kat shocks also has dampening, but not an external adjuster for it, and it . makes the ride SUPER stiff. best for 2up riding. 2up riding on the GS, oh god. I remember doing that, chugachugachoochoo, did that snail have a better 0-60 then I did?
-Walker

ShowBizWolf

Yeah I've read that the Kat shock doesn't really increase height... and it's best suited for riders over 200lbs... which is certainly not me lol !

2up riding with the way my bike is currently set up (1" rising links + R6 shock) has been awesome... even with my one friend who weighs... well... let's just say she's a bigger gal than I am  :icon_lol: ;)

ShowBizWolf

Finally an update. It's not about the shock though lol.

After months of pinching pennies and finally paying off a credit card I opened to help with some unexpected expenses last year (my van needed a head gasket and my house needed a new water heater) and my tax return being larger this year than what I expected, I finally ordered brand new fork tubes today.

When the tubes and also the O-Rings (that go with the OEM adjustable fork caps) arrive in the mail, I should have all the parts I need to build my forks the way I want.

It will be nice to ride without fork oil getting everywhere AND I'll be able to put the front half of the fender on! I mean, I've had it on already but I'm 99% sure it would have gotten scratched up pretty bad because of the clearance issue between the top of it and the underneath of the headlight/nose fairing.

cbrfxr67

update? ah whaaa-

new fork tubes new fork tubes :icon_razz:
-buddha

ShowBizWolf

Hahaha I know right?? It's been a while.

Thanks to Suzi Q, I was able to order the OEM fork preload adjuster caps here:
https://www.parts-sale.jp/SUZUKI%2051351-01D60?search=51351-01D60

Part number:
51351-01D60-000

Tracked down the O-Rings that go on them here (amazingly enough):
https://www.motosport.com/oem-parts/part-number/51117-38260

Part number:
51117-38260

And then I heard back from my friend / bike mechanic Brian about his price on fork tubes. They had gone up to over $339 for the pair, plus shipping, with a 6 to 7 week wait because the place is so far behind with orders.  I told him I'd have one more look around online before I gave him the OK to order, and I found this link here:
https://www.ebay.com/itm/Fork-tube-for-Suzuki-GS-500-EU-E-51110-01D00/273128539661?ssPageName=STRK%3AMEBIDX%3AIT&_trksid=p2060353.m2749.l2649

I was hesitant because even though they list the part number as being the same as what's on the GS from 1989 to 2003 (51110-01D00) the listing clearly states only GS's from 1989 to 1991. I sent them a question asking about this and they replied that their parts catalog is where they get that information from.

I took a chance, ordered them, and now have my fingers crossed that everything will be OK. They were marked as shipped today. The total for the pair of fork tubes, shipped, was $262.52.

Also, I'll put an update here as well about that chain noise I was hearing a while back. It got worse, and turned out to be a too tight chain. Because of the raising links in the back, the chain slack (with bike sitting on side-stand) had to be increased to 38mm (1.5"). The Suzuki spec is 20-30mm.

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk