News:

Need a manual?  Buy a Clymer manual Here

Main Menu

Cell phone advice

Started by TarzanBoy, November 09, 2005, 08:34:24 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

TarzanBoy

I need to get a cell phone this week!   I want a Razr, so I am probably going to to with
cingular.  

I need some advice here... how can I get the best deal on buying a phone and getting service?  I am going to be porting my number over from Sprint

Maduro Mistress

I am dropping Cingular after 7 years. I have had absolutley enough of their lack of customer service. I was a very loyal customer until I had to argue over a $14 charge and I have hated them ever since. If I could, I would go with T-mobile, but we don't have them out here. I am trying US Cellular - my phone's in the mail, I bought a web deal last week.  I have 30 days to try them out, otherwise, I don't know either?
sobriquet---logomachy---woolgathering---cloud-cuckoo-land---fourth estate---defenestration---circumlocution---bluestocking

Badger

Quote from: TarzanBoyI need some advice here...
My advice would be to move this to Odds n Ends...

Phaedrus

I am not really sure what you are asking for? You already know the phone and the provider you want to use. That being the case, I suggest NOT going with their El Cheapo plan Cingular has..the one that is $29.99 or whatever, if you actually USE your phone. You won't get:

-Rollover
-Free mobile-to-mobile

I started out with it but I was always running out of minutes and by the time I got done with taxes and crap, I paid about $42 anyways. So I upped it to the $39.99 plan and could not be happier. More than enough minutes for what I use, roll over, free mobile to mobile (My GF has cingular also). etc. And it is only $10 a month more - totally worth it economically.

My phone is a Samsung x427m..the freebie flip phone phone they gave me for signing up with them.  :lol: It works great, but doesn't have any fancy features.  :thumb:
Richard died in a motorcycle accident that was at no fault of his own.  We lost a good friend and good member of this board.  Though Rich may be gone, his legacy will live on here.

Photos from the June '06 Northeast GStwin Meet

skoozi12

Quote from: BadgerMy advice would be to move this to Odds n Ends...

+1:P

It kind of depends on where you are located.  I am very happy vith Verizon here.  I've had Cingular, Nextel, T Mobile...you name it.  Good deals seem to come around this time of year, so I would shop all of the major names and see what they have to offer.  

Oh and my dad had the Razr phone for about 3 days and he hated it, but I think that's all personal preference.
'06 F as of 4/19/06

Alphamazing

According to Consumer Reports, Verizon has the least number of complaints per thousand, while Cingular/AT&T has the highest. Verizon is also top ranked for reliability and service.

Food for thought.
'05 DR-Z400SM (For Sale)
'04 GS500E (Sold)

Holy crap it's the Wiki!
http://wiki.gstwins.com/

pandy

Quote from: skoozi12
Quote from: BadgerMy advice would be to move this to Odds n Ends...
+1:P
+2 :P

I have Sprint. They lied to me to get me to sign up for another two years (said my night minutes would start at 7PM, and then when paperwork arrived, it said 9PM...I had to fight to get them to set it at 8PM). My bf has Cingular (was AT&T), and their taxes and fees are twice what I pay on my Sprint bill. My $30.00 phone bill usually comes out to about $32.00 (after the 8% corporate discount that usually amounts to a couple of bucks). His $29.99 bill usually comes out in the low 40's...and neither of us ever go over.

I think ALL cell companies suck.  :dunno:
'06 SV650s (1 past Gixxer; 3 past GS500s)
I get blamed for EVERYTHING around here!
:woohoo:

Stephen072774

My cingular 29 dollar plan comes out to 36 bucks a month.  I am happy with it, and I don't want to pay more than 40, i just don't use mine that much.  IMO, motorola phones have went from the best in the market to the absolute worst in the past 15 years, I would say away from them.
2005 DRZ400SM
2001 GS, sold to 3imo

MPA

I have Sprint, and the only reason I keep it is because I get a 24% discount through work. Have the $65 plan (1100 minutes - free LD) + the $15 picture plan (can send unlimited pics, free internet, etc) + $5/mo equipment replacement. My bill comes to $70something a month w/ taxes, but it's also my home phone. I usually only use ~500 peak mins a month

I was interested in US Cellular after seeing their commercials, but unhappy when I saw the fine print on the screen that their $49.99 plan jumps to something like $89.99 after 6 months.

My contract is up in Feb and I will probably get a Nextel phone. I am also considering Cingular because of the rollover minutes, but who knows.
98 500R
V&H, short stalks, Sport Demons

Badger

Go somewhere where you can hold the phone if you haven't already (like a Cingular store).  Pick it up, wear it around the store for 20 minutes, make vroom vroom noises (oops, sorry...that's for helmets).  It would be helpful to know what you intend on using the phone for...primarily calls?  texting?  photos?  net access?  email?  Do you travel a lot?

Everybody hates their cell provider.  Then they switch, and they hate their new cell provider.   :dunno:

I have a pre-AT&T/Cingular merge phone (I don't update gadgets very frequently), which means it supports all of AT&T's bands but not all of Cingular's...thus I get pretty crappy coverage.  I use mine mainly as a phone and to sync to my work email OTA, less frequently as a web browser.  My cell is my work phone, so I've got nationwide coverage, unlimited data, etc. and my plan is farily pricey.

My one recommendataion is to ask at the counter if your employer gets a discount...that can save you a few bucks a month.

JetSwing

my advice would be get your phone for free.

http://www.letstalk.com/product/browse.htm?pgId=100&corpId=511

there are other websites like this. google it
My hunch was right...Pandy is the biggest Post Whore!

TarzanBoy

Verizon currently has the largest network, and they do offer a CDMA version of the RAZR.  I decided to not look at Verizon because I wanted to get a GSM phone that I would be able to unlock in the event that I wanted to do a SIM-card swap.

CDMA doesn't yet have a similar technology.  Cingular has better coverage than T-mobile, which is why I am going to go with cingular.

--EDIT--
I would rather stay away from contracts.  There is a (very remote) possibility that I will be leaving the country for a year, so a contract wouldn't necessarily be in my best interests.

gikim1118

I've had sprint for about 3 yrs now and never had any problems.  although their phone selection sucks a$$ I've always had great connection and no real problem with customer service.  

Just my $.02
1996 GS500 w/ 6,100 mi

dionysus

I say just buy a CB, buy all your friends a CB and be done with it. ;) All Cell companies suck.

Phaedrus

I had a Tracfone for a few years before I got my Cingular plan.  :P  It was good; there were a few times I needed to make a call when it really saved my ass. Granted it isn't by any means the latest and great, and is EXPENSIVE if you talk on it regularly - but it's also non-committal, cheap if used sparingly, and functional.

Get a GO phone  :P
Richard died in a motorcycle accident that was at no fault of his own.  We lost a good friend and good member of this board.  Though Rich may be gone, his legacy will live on here.

Photos from the June '06 Northeast GStwin Meet

roguegeek

The RAZR V3 is going to be replaced by the V3x soon.
Rich - Project: Rich
2005 Honda S2000 | 2006 Honda CBR600RR | 1997 Suzuki GS500E (sold)

pizzleboy

Being that I work for RIM, My recommendation is:

http://www.blackberry.com/products/blackberry8700/blackberry8700c.shtml

Which you can get from cingular.
Ignorant Liberal!

"I don't want buns of steel. I want buns of cinnamon."

Alphamazing

Quote from: Badgerhttp://www.microsoft.com/windowsmobile/default.mspx

I'd have a breakdown if I needed to make a phone call and my cell phone crashed.
'05 DR-Z400SM (For Sale)
'04 GS500E (Sold)

Holy crap it's the Wiki!
http://wiki.gstwins.com/

oppy00

My best friend just recently got a razr from cingular.  He is currently in ATL, and seems to like the phone, and plan/coverage.  He was able to get the phone for free, by doing one of those online sign-ups.  Look around on the web, maybe you can get the same thing.  I will say this, being on the recieving end of his calls, the sound quality kinda sucks.  This could be many things, though.  It is probably on my end, but I just thought I'd let you know.
Black '00  GS500E 
Silver '02 Bandit 1200S

Finally got a good job.  Hooray me!!!

I still love beer.  Hooray me!!!

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk