News:

Need a manual?  Buy a Haynes manual Here

Main Menu

For people who like projects and pics...

Started by ShowBizWolf, June 17, 2015, 07:04:55 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

ShowBizWolf

I can take a picture of the dvd player... and where I patched in the wheel well... my previously stated frustration is still there, but perhaps I can push it aside for a few pics  :icon_rolleyes:  :icon_razz:

This weekend I'll be working on the van more and if I remember, I'll take my camera and grab some pictures of the total absence of rocker on the passenger side. The driver's side has a band-aid patch on it that I threw on during the winter last year... I have to remove that and start fresh when I get to that side.
Superbike bars, '04 GSXR headlight & cowl, DRZ signals, 1/2" fork brace, 'Busa fender, stainless exhaust & brake lines, belly pan, LED dash & brake bulbs, 140/80 rear hoop, F tail lens, SV650 shock, Bandit400 hugger, aluminum heel guards & pegs, fork preload adjusters, .75 SonicSprings, heated grips

yamahonkawazuki

it sounds funny but during winter hit car washes often. told my uncle about this when he got rid of his olds cutlass ciera ( rust edition seriously. it was rust with 444 tires and an engine. and yoou COULD FLINTSTONE IT. he picked up an AWD chevvy astro. i told him about this, 6 years and no rust yet. ( also undercoating  , dont forget)
Aaron
Jan 14 2010 0310 I miss you mom
Vielen dank Patrick. Vielen dank
".
A proud Mormon
"if you come in with the bottom of your cast black,
neither one of us will be happy"- Alan Silverman MD

ShowBizWolf

Before the clear coat (I paid a body shop to do) started to peel off of my van, I used to wash it pretty often... even though I didn't drive it much in the winter.  But now it's gotten the point where I'm letting it go until I finish my car... then I'll re-paint the van.

Only reason I'm tackling the rust on the van now is because I'm gonna drive it through this coming winter and I don't want it getting any worse. Don't know if the pennDOT trucks are still going to be using f*cking brine on the roads this year or not... I heard from somewhere they were going to stop but Idk if that's true.

Undercoating/truck bedliner is what I did the underneath of my car with (after patching the floors and repairing the frame, etc) so it should be good for a while. Plus I'm not driving it in the winter anymore (unless I really really need to someday) and it's gonna be kept in my garage so hooray for that !!
Superbike bars, '04 GSXR headlight & cowl, DRZ signals, 1/2" fork brace, 'Busa fender, stainless exhaust & brake lines, belly pan, LED dash & brake bulbs, 140/80 rear hoop, F tail lens, SV650 shock, Bandit400 hugger, aluminum heel guards & pegs, fork preload adjusters, .75 SonicSprings, heated grips

Marc B

This has been a fantastic post, lots of great ideas. though I dont think I could Knit.
been Working on renos on my house, and accumulating parts to alter my GS
:bowdown: :woohoo:

mr72

Quote from: lucas on April 19, 2016, 03:40:48 PM
I did a similar thing for the seat release

What a brilliant idea. I am going to rip that off promptly.

Even though I only talk about the GS most of the time on here I have got numerous other projects going on.

One we just finished was to replace our back door and window with a giant sliding glass door. The rear door was about two feet from a window and we knocked out the wall section (brick!) in between and then framed in a new 8 foot or so wide opening in place of the old door and window to put in a eight foot wide sliding glass door. I just finished the trim which came out beautifully. I'll try and get a picture this weekend. Now I am on to working on the deck, which is going to be about 16' x 38' with composite decking with a 22' x 12' pergola in the midst of it. That's going to be a big job, which my wife hopes I can finish before Thanksgiving. That's just a month away.

Then we are converting some upstairs space into a [personal] pub.

And then I have to completely remodel our master bath.

Lots of home projects. I sneak in an hour here, half an hour there on the GS. I've gotten a lot of other projects done while the GS has been in the shop.

rscottlow

Quote from: Big Rich on June 30, 2016, 06:20:09 AM
I hate house painting.... so much so that my wife knows I won't do it. I'll move furniture, put down drop cloth, help with tape, etc..... but won't pick up a roller. 

In other news, here's my latest project and reason I haven't  been posting much:

Found on Craigslist for $600. Starts, stops, and runs, but it needs some work before it becomes "reliable". 150cc's of Chinese fury.....haha.

I'd like to invest in something like this for my son. His 5th birthday is coming up in May, and I think a go kart would make an awesome gift to get him started into driving/riding. He has a power wheels F150 now, that he has really outgrown this year. I definitely want a two seater, because I can't let him have all of the fun! Plus, I'm not sure that he'd be able to reach the pedals just yet.
Scott - Cincinnati, Ohio
2009 GS500F

Big Rich

Go for it! I tried doing as much research as possible before buying mine, but it's tough to keep track of Chinese buggies..... my Yerf Dog is considered "bottom of the barrel", but it was also one of the very first "yard karts". So in all fairness, they just weren't sure how to make them (and how they would be abused in real life).

There are 2 good forums for buggy stuff: buggymasters and buggynews. I need to update pictures on my buggy..... a good bit has changed, and will change even more over winter.
83 GR650 (riding / rolling project)

It's opener there in the wide open air...

rscottlow

Yeah, bring on the photos! My nephew used to have a yerf dog that he sold to his neighbor for $100. Had I known his plan, I would've bought it from him. I've seen several on CL for about $300 that would be sufficient to get him started. I'll check out those forums and do some research before I get around to buying one.
Scott - Cincinnati, Ohio
2009 GS500F

ShowBizWolf

Bumping my thread because this is what I created it for...

Worked on the Turtle Van this past week/weekend. Had to patch-- no, had to make a rocker panel for the driver's side and a side panel for it. When I originally bought the van and "created it" (8 years ago), I paid a body shop to fix the rust. Yeah... never again.

Anyhoo, I didn't take a LOT of progress pictures because I was needing to complete this in 4 days. Also didn't get to sand things as smooth and even as I wanted but what can ya do... I'm only one person :icon_rolleyes:

When I do body work (since I live in the rust belt) I use aluminum and fiberglass. I swear, things rust practically overnight here smh...

Also, if this looks primitive to you, that's because it is. My dad's garage is not a body shop. I don't have a metal brake, I use a cutting wheel to score the aluminum and then bend it with my hands or with a vice, I sand things with sanding discs or by hand... etc. But it gets the job done. Just takes a while lol!

Normally I'd have smoothed/sanded this before primer but I was running out of time... but I will do it in the future!!

This picture is without the plastic inner wheel well section... boy does that thing come in handy!

Sorry for the blurry pic, this one was taken with my ancient flip phone lol

About 24 hours in 4 days and thankfully, it's a lot better now:

Big Rich

That's great work for 4 days time!

And I have to say, yours is the only minivan that makes me smile every time I see it.
83 GR650 (riding / rolling project)

It's opener there in the wide open air...

cbrfxr67

Love seeing your work. :thumb:  How strong is that aluminum panel/fiberglass?  Like if you pushed on it would it flex, crack at the seam or is it pretty stout?
"Its something you take apart in 2-3 days and takes 10 years to go back together."
-buddha

ShowBizWolf

In the past when I was learning fiberglass etc and I'd make a mistake... have to remove it/undo it, I've had to hit it as hard as I could with a hammer, chisel, etc just to get it to crack. Sometimes that wouldn't be enough though so I'd sand it down instead. It's amazing what rivets and fiberglass can do. The aluminum will flex a little bit but no more than some regular car panels do, but only on big plain sections... not at the seams. I've learned to put some duraglas on the seams and over the rivets, sand that a bit and then fiberglass onto that.

Thanks for checking in guys!! :-*

89gS500_Kirk

Awesome body work ShowBiz, my father had a shop my entire life (until about 7 years ago) so I was around it my whole life. ALong with motorcycles, this is what got me to loving bikes. Thanks for sharing your work, keep kicking butt...  :bowdown:

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk