News:

Need a manual?  Buy a Clymer manual Here

Main Menu

Service manuals...Haynes, Clymer or Suzuki?

Started by Kito, September 14, 2018, 05:30:31 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Kito

Which one you use, and which one you think is the best to have?

I only have Suzuki's service manual that I downloaded and printed. Works fine.

But I never had a chance to see the others.. are they better? Which one do you prefer and why?
2004 Track/Street Rat .... or maybe just trash!
Reverse Gear Shifting (topic=72206.0)
Quick and Cheap Shifter (topic=72099.0)
Gear indicator (topic=72403.0)
Thumb Brake Loading (topic=72143.0)
Clipons

Kilted1

In my experience, not specific to the GS500 but service manuals in general, they're different.  I can't say I have a preference for one or another but there are differences in the details.  I've seen some manuals that say don't even try to work on this or that, just take it to a dealer.  Another manual has detailed procedure for the same issue.  Sorry I can't give specifics as it's been too many years.  I miss my '72 Motors Manual.  It had specs and everything the experienced mechanic needed to know for every domestic car  built up to that point.

The exception would be "The Hippie Book" AKA: How to keep your air cooled Volkswagen alive, by John Muir.  Great reading and fun artwork even for the non-mechanic.  It's worth finding!  The gold nugget in there is the procedure on how to operate a procedure.

MaxD

Clymer has the reputation of being more detailed than Haynes, though not as detailed as the Suzuki manual.

Bluesmudge

I like the Haynes for routine maintenance as it seems to have the best formatting style for me and I can be confident that it will mention anything specific to my GS (2006 GSF). I reference the Clymer for more in-depth engine work since it often has the most detail.
I have never used the Suzuki manual myself.

Note that the Clymer does not exist for F models but for 95% of things that doesn't matter.

herennow

Something to remember is that the Suzuki Manual (or any OEM manual) is meant for a trained service technician. That is why they are not freely available online via the OEM's website. This means that often steps and details may be left out as it is assumed the technician has had a certain level of training. It is often stated that OEM service manuals can, therefore, be dangerous in the hands of an inexperienced wrencher.

I've never used Clymer but have found the Haynes manuals fine for work I've done on half a dozen different vehicles I have owned although I've used factory manuals more when rebuilding complete engines.

ShowBizWolf

I have the Clymer manual for my '98 E.

I don't really have any complaints except some of the black and white pictures could be more helpful if they were in color and also, it tells you to install fork seals with the spring groove UP... which is wrong.
Superbike bars, '04 GSXR headlight & cowl, DRZ signals, 1/2" fork brace, 'Busa fender, stainless exhaust & brake lines, belly pan, LED dash & brake bulbs, 140/80 rear hoop, F tail lens, SV650 shock, Bandit400 hugger, aluminum heel guards & pegs, fork preload adjusters, .75 SonicSprings, heated grips

Kito

Guys, Tks for the feedback.

I had no idea what kind of benefits the Clymer or Haynes manuals could provide.

Perhaps, nowadays, having a lot of info on the internet may be the Suzuki manual can be enough.

Tks again :thumb:

2004 Track/Street Rat .... or maybe just trash!
Reverse Gear Shifting (topic=72206.0)
Quick and Cheap Shifter (topic=72099.0)
Gear indicator (topic=72403.0)
Thumb Brake Loading (topic=72143.0)
Clipons

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk