Rejetting prices, details, and O rings

Started by The Buddha, April 11, 2008, 12:31:31 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

p51mustang

Yea I got slides & glides, Diaphrams. from you ! after I put them in there was no change in proformance, A Tech at the Suzuki shop cut me a deal on 150 jets K&N Lunch B,
4-#4 washers, & 2 new carb intake boot O-Rings,and 4 more plugs.So when the K&N comes in, & O-Rings then I can get to IT..
But my next door friend needs her lawnmower rebuilt, I'm hoping it will only be carb cleaning & plug & gas lines?? never know :laugh: what you find could just be out of Gas??
next I've got to paint the House :cry:, Man I hate latters !! Anyway my Bike gets pushed down the list! Not cool.. mustang

Tang

ok i'm lookin to put a Lunch box K&N filter in and i want to know what kind of jets and piolets i need for a 1998 GS500E
1997 GS500E

The Buddha

40 pilots non bleed X 2.
150 mains, Mikuni, large slotted round X 2.
#4 washers X 2.
3 turns on mix screws.
Float bowl allen head bolts X  4 - 5mm dia - 12mm long or 2 X 16 mm for the front and 2 X 12mm rear.

Set Floats to top of bowl,
Synch them either eyeball or drill bit or your favorite garage method or with mercury, guages or ... etc etc

What else - yea clean everythign, wd40 everythign at assembly, dont strip screws and dont hurt yourself.

Check for air leaks before disassembly, make sure vent hose isn;t ripped or blocked ... whatever, vacuum caps are on and good, O rings are good, float spigot O rings, seats and needles seal up well ...
I dunno what else - choke opens and closes good ...

Cool.
Buddha.
-----------------------------------------------------------------
I run a business based on other people's junk.

Tang

1997 GS500E

bucks1605

Quote from: Tang on April 23, 2008, 12:23:00 PM
so i have to drill?

No, you only have to drill if you buy the dynojet kit.
SV1000K3 Bought 03/17/09
1996 GS500E Sold 03/03/09

Tang

ok whew i thought i had to drill

buddah u got any of those stuff for sale?
1997 GS500E

Fry

Buddah I think way back when when jetting the GS I used a Dynojet kit and believed I had to drill something out perhaps the slides the more I think about it?

It appears I also did something to the small brass circular plugs in the carbs body?

How will this affect future jetting changes I'll need to make when using  a Lunchbox.

Thanks for your time./
Have you learned the lessons only of those who admired you, and were tender with you, and stood aside for you? Have you not learned great lessons from those who braced themselves against you, and disputed passage with you?
Walt Whitman

The Buddha

Tang - you have to drill out the brass caps ... unless you're hoping someone did that on yours already ... if that is the case, and your pilots and screws on the top and bottom are all good ... yea ... you've escaped the drill. Yes I can sell you all the jets washers, bolts knowledge (that is free though  :thumb: ... and may be worth exactly what you pay for it  :cookoo: ) etc.

Fry - brass caps gotta go so no problem there, slide having 1 hole blocked is OK, blocking 1 and closing the other partially can be bad, but may be ok. DJ requires you to do that though due to their stupid ass steeply tapered needles ...
BTW DJ's 134 is supposedly for the pipe and K&N clamp on ... if you got it, run and try it. The other dude just made out good with 140 mains. Get that if DJ 134 isn't good.

Cool.
Buddha.

jt_234

What's up?  I got a quick question and didn't want to start yet another thread about rejetting.

I have my carb out to clean and decided I want to go ahead and rejet it while I'm at it, since it runs so lean I have a hard time unchoking it at times.  Not cool since I'm moving north to Chicago in a couple weeks.  So...I have an '02 and I'm running an aftermarket exhaust--not a high performance, but better than stock--and a drop-in K&N.  From what I was reading, I was thinking of going with a pilot 20, a mid 62.5, and main 142.  Anyone have any other thoughts?

Other than a good cleaning, is there anything else I should do to get a little more performance out of her?

Where can I get the jets from quickly?  I need a fuel line too, I busted one of the tank to petcock lines pulling the tank.  I'd like to get them ASAP.  All of the dealers here are closed Sunday and Monday.

:cheers:
JT
JT
'02 GS500

Tact is the knack of making a point without making an enemy. - Isaac Newton

The Buddha

K&N drop in and pipe is 130 or 132.5 mains. I'd do 130's, the Rest is fine.
Cool.
Buddha.

jt_234

Thanks.  It runs very lean, should I go with the 132.5s?

What's the best source to get them from?   Do you sell them?

JT
JT
'02 GS500

The Buddha

You bump up mid mains too, then 130 should be fine, 132.5 maybe if you leave mids stock. Hey I actually should get an 01-02 carb set working on a bike before I start explaining the differences between up 1 on mids vs Needles by 1 washer vs mains by 1.
That difference is too subtle for me to really know cos I never did it and run it the way I did with the 89-00.
I dont have 132.5 mains, I should be able to get them, but It may take longer for me than you. But I actually had a trip to the bike shop that I forgot to ask them completely about jets for 01+.
I will be going to the store again in 1-2-3 days. I will look.
Cool.
Buddha.

jt_234

I'm sending you a PM with my email addy and phone number.  If you can get them in the mail today, I'll take a pair of 20/62.5/130.  Let me know.

JT
JT
'02 GS500

Tang

Quote from: The Buddha on April 23, 2008, 12:00:54 PM
40 pilots non bleed X 2.
150 mains, Mikuni, large slotted round X 2.
#4 washers X 2.
3 turns on mix screws.
Float bowl allen head bolts X  4 - 5mm dia - 12mm long or 2 X 16 mm for the front and 2 X 12mm rear.

Set Floats to top of bowl,
Synch them either eyeball or drill bit or your favorite garage method or with mercury, guages or ... etc etc

What else - yea clean everythign, wd40 everythign at assembly, dont strip screws and dont hurt yourself.

Check for air leaks before disassembly, make sure vent hose isn;t ripped or blocked ... whatever, vacuum caps are on and good, O rings are good, float spigot O rings, seats and needles seal up well ...
I dunno what else - choke opens and closes good ...

Cool.
Buddha.

i'll take w/e i need to get for the K&N Lunchbox rejet let me know the price :thumb:
1997 GS500E

The Buddha

tang - rejet is $45 and return shipping. Jet kits are $21 for 89-00.
Yours is 01+ ... I am still working on buying stuff for it. Prolly more $$ on both, there is a whole extra set of jets. The idea I have is you can do needles and get away without mids, but no idea for sure.
Cool.
Buddha.

Tang

mines a 1998 GS500E i just need to rejet to put the K&N lunchbox filter in there i'm going to attempt to do it myself just need the stuff needed rejet.
1997 GS500E

jt_234

Quote from: The Buddha on April 29, 2008, 08:00:51 AM
Yours is 01+ ... I am still working on buying stuff for it. Prolly more $$ on both, there is a whole extra set of jets. The idea I have is you can do needles and get away without mids, but no idea for sure.
Cool.
Buddha.

Mine's the 02, but I found all the jets (20/62.5/130's) at my dealership.  I paid $36 and I got an extra set of pilot 20's (I had to buy four--go figure) if anyone needs them. 

Bike runs well, but am leaking fuel out of left carb.  I pinched the gasket when I put it back together, so I pulled it and I used permatex to put it back together.  I still haven't tested it, lettting it sit for a day and a half.  Berto said that it shouldn't happen regardless, but the bike was on the side stand.  It doesn't have a center stand and I'm too poor to buy a bike jack (yet). 

So, my question, does it sound like the carbs need synched too?  I noticed when I had the carb apart and upside down the floats didn't sit at the same level, but didn't think anything of it.  Do the floats need adjusted?  How do I adjust them?
JT
'02 GS500

yamahonkawazuki

sri**** err buddha. sorry im used to using your old name here. ayhoo, i cannot remmeber where i had posted this, but since youve got this thread up, can you suggest a jet set for me. im going to remove the stock can, and replace wiht one of the shorty cans, from a gsxr1k (07-08) ive got 2 of tehm, hell i might go duals. anyhow air filter is stock i believe, so do you have the jets which would work with my setup ( 97 gs) and lemme know price to 37716
Jan 14 2010 0310 I miss you mom
Vielen dank Patrick. Vielen dank
".
A proud Mormon
"if you come in with the bottom of your cast black,
neither one of us will be happy"- Alan Silverman MD

The Buddha

Quote from: jt_234 on May 01, 2008, 06:42:17 PM
Quote from: The Buddha on April 29, 2008, 08:00:51 AM
Cool.
Buddha.

Mine's the 02, but I found all the jets (20/62.5/130's) at my dealership.  I paid $36 and I got an extra set of pilot 20's (I had to buy four--go figure) if anyone needs them. 

Bike runs well, but am leaking fuel out of left carb.  I pinched the gasket when I put it back together, so I pulled it and I used permatex to put it back together.  I still haven't tested it, lettting it sit for a day and a half.  Berto said that it shouldn't happen regardless, but the bike was on the side stand.  It doesn't have a center stand and I'm too poor to buy a bike jack (yet). 

So, my question, does it sound like the carbs need synched too?  I noticed when I had the carb apart and upside down the floats didn't sit at the same level, but didn't think anything of it.  Do the floats need adjusted?  How do I adjust them?

You pinched the float gasket ... and you used permatex ... permatex what silicone ... then hell no, never use silicone. I use gasket maket from permatex, but not when you tear the gasket. I just use it to shore up a marginal gasket. The gasket is torn, you're going to have to replace it.
Cool.
Buddha.

jt_234

Quote from: The Buddha on May 02, 2008, 06:31:08 AM

You pinched the float gasket ... and you used permatex ... permatex what silicone ... then hell no, never use silicone. I use gasket maket from permatex, but not when you tear the gasket. I just use it to shore up a marginal gasket. The gasket is torn, you're going to have to replace it.
Cool.
Buddha.

Yeah, it was the blue Permatex RTV Gasket Maker, which I think has silicone. 

I put two slices in the gasket, I didn't cut all the way through it.
Do you think it would be fine to use it to fill in the two spots?  Or which one do you use that you're talking about?
JT
'02 GS500

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk