News:

The simplest way to help GStwin is to use this Amazon link to shop

Main Menu

got a question regarding wristwatches

Started by yamahonkawazuki, June 28, 2011, 06:24:50 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

yamahonkawazuki

Quote from: jserio on July 09, 2011, 01:42:59 AM
A unisex watch eh? I would like to find a smaller sized watch that doesn't look girly you know? I have to say though, I'm not looking so spend in the $500 range. I'm thinking more along the lines of less than a single bill. Or close to it. And yet have something that will last me for a awhile. ( i know, cue the whole, you get what you pay for speech)
there is a lot in that range if you go used. ebay is full of them. but what style? analog or digital quartz or automatic or manual wind?
Jan 14 2010 0310 I miss you mom
Vielen dank Patrick. Vielen dank
".
A proud Mormon
"if you come in with the bottom of your cast black,
neither one of us will be happy"- Alan Silverman MD

jserio

To be honest I'm not sure about the winding. Have never owned a manual wind watch. Have had both digital and analog watches. Either is fine with me. As I'm growing older, I'm inkling to appear to have a taste for some finer things in life. Without breaking the bank of course. I've recently admitted that I actually DO enjoy the times I get to wear a shirt and tie. (provided it's not a funeral) I like looking nice. I think a decent watch would make a nice compliment to my attempted sophistication. Although I'm married, ZZ Top said it best, every girl's crazy bout a sharp dressed man. ;) Even though I've only my wife to impress, I love that look I get when I know she approves of how I'm looking. You guys know the look I'm talking about.  :thumb:
finally a homeowner!
2009 Toyota Corolla LE

yamahonkawazuki

Quote from: jserio on July 09, 2011, 03:36:02 AM
To be honest I'm not sure about the winding. Have never owned a manual wind watch. Have had both digital and analog watches. Either is fine with me. As I'm growing older, I'm inkling to appear to have a taste for some finer things in life. Without breaking the bank of course. I've recently admitted that I actually DO enjoy the times I get to wear a shirt and tie. (provided it's not a funeral) I like looking nice. I think a decent watch would make a nice compliment to my attempted sophistication. Although I'm married, ZZ Top said it best, every girl's crazy bout a sharp dressed man. ;) Even though I've only my wife to impress, I love that look I get when I know she approves of how I'm looking. You guys know the look I'm talking about.  :thumb:
yeppers ive preferred mechanical watches. ive got my eye on this one. it IS a quartz. but it will suffice until i get hte one ive got my heart on
".
A proud Mormon

jserio

Maybe I should start by not shopping at walmart for watches eh?  :icon_mrgreen:
finally a homeowner!
2009 Toyota Corolla LE

yamahonkawazuki

Quote from: jserio on July 09, 2011, 03:42:20 AM
walmart has a few ;). ive found some decent ones on ebay though. a good seller id trust over a shoddy one.
".
A proud Mormon

jserio

Next time I'm down your way, I'll have to stop by. Have a beer or two. I was in the area a few weeks ago. But it was 3am and had no way to contact you. I'll plan the trip better next time and maybe you'll have something in store that I can purchase eh?  :cheers:
finally a homeowner!
2009 Toyota Corolla LE

yamahonkawazuki

Quote from: jserio on July 09, 2011, 03:56:36 AM
Next time I'm down your way, I'll have to stop by. Have a beer or two. I was in the area a few weeks ago. But it was 3am and had no way to contact you. I'll plan the trip better next time and maybe you'll have something in store that I can purchase eh?  :cheers:
9 times out of 10 always somehtign available. anyways. eyes are swelled up again gonna lay down. wil talk to yal later :)
".
A proud Mormon

spc

That would help.  Ebay can be a pretty scary place to buy something like a watch.  For every good seller, there are 10 crappy sellers.  Try pawn shops, they tend to be pretty fair in the $$ and most are more than willing to do lay away.

jserio

You don't think a pawn shop will try to screw me on something such as a watch? I know that years ago when I considered pawning some items the shop I went to wanted to f%$k me with no grease. Of course, this was in Arkansas, about 10 years ago.
finally a homeowner!
2009 Toyota Corolla LE

yamahonkawazuki

Quote from: jserio on July 09, 2011, 05:27:24 AM
You don't think a pawn shop will try to screw me on something such as a watch? I know that years ago when I considered pawning some items the shop I went to wanted to f%$k me with no grease. Of course, this was in Arkansas, about 10 years ago.
well look at it this. way. its a business like any other. a business makes money. sooo, find whatever it is you want. an dlook online or elsewhere. and see its msrp etc. basically if the shop shows you a rolex at rolex prices but wont open hte back to show you the signature, id say no thanks. all sorts of things like that. usually though ebay is pretty good too. same thing. a good seller will show you whatever youd want to see on an item
".
A proud Mormon

yamahonkawazuki

Quote from: jserio on July 09, 2011, 01:42:59 AM
A unisex watch eh? I would like to find a smaller sized watch that doesn't look girly you know? I have to say though, I'm not looking so spend in the $500 range. I'm thinking more along the lines of less than a single bill. Or close to it. And yet have something that will last me for a awhile. ( i know, cue the whole, you get what you pay for speech)
that range. id look on craigslist or ebay even. or pawn shops etc. as others have said. teh watch market isnt what it once was. BUT stuff they do take in will be above par
".
A proud Mormon

yamahonkawazuki

terry speaking of that u2. i saw one, and will say i DO like :D

".
A proud Mormon

yamahonkawazuki

Quote from: spc on July 09, 2011, 04:50:42 AM

That would help.  Ebay can be a pretty scary place to buy something like a watch.  For every good seller, there are 10 crappy sellers.  Try pawn shops, they tend to be pretty fair in the $$ and most are more than willing to do lay away.
yup and many will do 90 plus days layaway. and usually have someone on staff who can size it while you wait. if not they could recommend someone who can/waill
".
A proud Mormon

manofthefield

I just read a NY times article about watches becoming popular with gen. cellphone.  Basically it says everybody has about the same phone, but you can have a unique watch that really makes a statement.  And kinda like bill14224 said about his 35mm cameras, it's cool to have something mechanical in the digital age.

Personally I've always liked having a watch.  I like some of the high end and mid-range stuff but I can't afford them new and don't know enough about buying the used stuff.  My last couple watches are Fossil which I know are nothing amazing, but I'm mostly happy with them.

motorcycleless
1998 GS500E sold 6/20/11

manofthefield

motorcycleless
1998 GS500E sold 6/20/11

spc

Another bit o watch wisdom:  If you really want a Rolex Submariner, GMT, GMT II, Datejust, etc...  Find a shop that carries used tudor stuff  the movements and styling are the same.  Rolex operates Tudor as a 'common man's watch co', but it's cheaper to just sell the same stuff under a different name than to develop different watches..

The Buddha

I thought ebay makes sellers confirm that they are geniune.
CL IMHO is the wild west, any one selling any bloody thing.
Cool.
Buddha.
-----------------------------------------------------------------
I run a business based on other people's junk.

bettingpython

Here is my daily wear watch had it on my wrist the last 6 years no. Need to put it in the drawer save it for my son,  thinking about getting a big old hunk of a watch for daily wear an invicta russian diver.

Don't know if I want to go for the straight plain jane russian diver or if I want the chronograph.

Probably need the chrono since it has day/date I actually use mine to tell time with and remind me of the date. 

Why didn't you just go the whole way and buy me a f@#king Kawasaki you bastards.

The Buddha

Oooo is that 0 glass, does it have that 0 glass that I believe I only have seen on a fortis.
Cool.
Buddha.
I run a business based on other people's junk.

yamahonkawazuki

serviced a couple of them recently. and dangit didnt wanna see a tag. sold my moms tag because i was broke and am taking a mental asskicking over that lol. but damn good watches. found some buildable tudors on ebay. also found some valjoux 7733 movts that i could pretty much put into anythign. needing some loving but still worth teh asking prices
".
A proud Mormon

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk