News:

Protect your dainty digits. Get a good pair of riding gloves cheap Right Here

Main Menu

2005 gs500f oil leak

Started by Quinn, September 02, 2019, 02:36:53 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Quinn

There's a oil leak on the front of the engine. It doesn't leak enough to drip but I found it by the smell of some buring oiI. Is this something that I should be worried about. Is this something that I would need a new gasket for or could it be fixed by righting the block. All help is appreciated!

Bluesmudge

That appears to be leaking from the head gasket.
Suzuki recommends tightening the header bolts every 4,000 miles (concurrent with valve clearance check); this may be the reason why. Get a torque wrench and try following the repair manual procedure for slacking and re-torquing the head bolts. Don't forget the front bolt you have in the photo and watch the torque values. I think that one is in inch-pounds and doesn't take much.

If re-torquing doesn't solve the leak you will unfortunately need to replace the head gasket which is fairly involved.

The bike doesn't appear to be leaking much oil in your photo. You could just embrace the dirty bike look and leave it alone.

Rallyfan

Instead of worrying about the head gasket now I'd check the bolts on the exhaust instead. If they're tight, only then would I consider something else.

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk