News:

The simplest way to help GStwin is to use this Amazon link to shop

Main Menu

Just My Bike - 2009 Suzuki GS500 (Review & Journal)

Started by Zacharia_11, August 10, 2012, 07:59:24 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Zacharia_11

So this morning I was geared up and ready to ride the bike to work.  Tried to fire it up and got a feeble attempt followed by clicking... Battery already?  I hadn't rode the bike in a little over 2 weeks, I find that strange.

I picked up a battery tender and have it plugged in tonight.  Rain expected for tomorrow and wednesday so I hope to get out on Thursday and Friday of this week.
2009 Suzuki GS500
Ontario, Canada

Zacharia_11

Quote from: Zacharia_11 on October 01, 2012, 06:15:48 PM
So this morning I was geared up and ready to ride the bike to work.  Tried to fire it up and got a feeble attempt followed by clicking... Battery already?  I hadn't rode the bike in a little over 2 weeks, I find that strange.

I picked up a battery tender and have it plugged in tonight.  Rain expected for tomorrow and wednesday so I hope to get out on Thursday and Friday of this week.

So the tender worked for me last fall, and I got to ride it a few more times.  This monday it was time to shake off the cobwebs and get out for a ride to work.  I had plugged it into the battery tender the day before and it showed fully charged... A few feeble start attempts, which I attributed to fuel and the fact it hadn't been started in months.  I got nothing.  Ended up taking off my jacket and taking the car to work.

After work I got home and gave the bike a little more attention.  Took the battery out and it was light- really light.  There was little to no water left in it.  I went to the store and grabbed some distilled water and filled all 6? cells up and put the tender on it.  Got back inside and took to google.  Now I'm definitely not a battery guy but from what I read, boiling batteries is bad - so I checked mine out and it was bubbling pretty good in the garage.  I unhooked it and called it done.  A little more research tells me this isn't the battery that came with the bike.  The one I had was a Hi Dash, not sure how long it had been in the bike.

Ordered a Motobatt sealed replacement battery tonight.  It kinda sucked not to get out yesterday, but it's still a little chilly and it will be nice to get a good battery in the bike.
2009 Suzuki GS500
Ontario, Canada

Zacharia_11

Quote from: Zacharia_11 on April 16, 2013, 05:15:31 PM
Ordered a Motobatt sealed replacement battery tonight.  It kinda sucked not to get out yesterday, but it's still a little chilly and it will be nice to get a good battery in the bike.

Got the battery today after work, dropped it in and the bike basically fired right up so I took it out before dinner.  For any Canadian's reading this, the Motobatt was ~107 after exchange conversion - but I owed another $50 when I picked it up from UPS for customs!  Royal Distributing got back to me, they had the Ballistic LifeP04 instock for 156.99 + tax. My wife drives by it every day to and from work so she could have picked it up.  It would have been ~177 for that option vs the ~157 for the motobatt.  I think that if I knew that in advance I might have got the LifeP04 battery. 

Either way, its in my bike and I am up and running.   :thumb:
2009 Suzuki GS500
Ontario, Canada

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk