News:

The simplest way to help GStwin is to use this Amazon link to shop

Main Menu

Reserve tank question

Started by Coseverde, May 15, 2014, 06:46:56 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Coseverde

Yesterday I ran out of fuel.  No problem, as I planned to do this to see actual range.  I switched over to RESERVE from PRIMARY, but nothing.  I opened the tank and it was virtually dry!  What happened to my reserve?
Fallor ergo sum

steezin_and_wheezin

More than likely your lines are switched from the tank to frame petcock. So when you had the frame petcock in the "on" position it was actually sipping from the reserve line. Here's a fuel line diagram, check your lines and let us know

if yer binders ain't squeakin, you ain't tweakin!

gsJack

Tank will go to empty on prime setting won't it?  Anyway the fuel lines are different for different model year GSs:

407,400 miles in 30 years for 13,580 miles/year average.  Started riding 7/21/84 and hung up helmet 8/31/14.

steezin_and_wheezin

Looked back at his posts and saw he had a 2005 gsF so I just pulled that image from my spreadsheets.. Yup, prime setting pulls from the reserve line and will run the tank dry
if yer binders ain't squeakin, you ain't tweakin!

jacob92icu

Yea, i feel like by "primary" you mean "PRI" which is prime, and by passes everything and just dumps gas into the carbs. From now on, only run with the petcock in the "ON" position. This way, you can switch to reserve when you run out of fuel as designed and have enough to get to the next gas station. Hope you got home safe. Once again, i would suggest opening up a single build thread to consolidate all of your separate posts into a single thread.
I am into buying bikes that people have given up on and fixing them up!

RIP Patrick Lajko, I miss you man.

Coseverde

D'oh!  So, PRI doesn't mean PRIMARY.  Wondered why there was a PRI and an ON.  Lesson learned.  Riding set to ON now.  Let's see how that works.
Fallor ergo sum

Coseverde

gsJack - thanks for the diagrams, but for some reason it doesn't seem to match my bike:

or the diagram in my Haynes manual...?  Or am I wrong?  2005 GS500F is the FK5, yes?
Fallor ergo sum

jdoorn14

Quote from: Coseverde on May 19, 2014, 01:10:02 PM
gsJack - thanks for the diagrams, but for some reason it doesn't seem to match my bike:

or the diagram in my Haynes manual...?  Or am I wrong?  2005 GS500F is the FK5, yes?

Yours matches the diagram on the right in the diagrams gsJack posted. Because of the 3/4 profile view, you have to interpolate a little for where the hoses connect. It is correct, and unless someone had the hoses disconnected at some point, everything should work as noted above.

I have a 2007 F, and yours looks like mine....so I'm pretty sure you're good. :thumb:

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
It seems it has become necessary to qualify my posts:
I am/am not trying to start an argument. This post is/is not intended to be a personal attack. I am/am not merely attempting to present a different viewpoint.

Select the words that apply to you.

Coseverde

jdoorn14 you're right, thanks.  I took a much closer look!

Thanks for all the help everyone.
Fallor ergo sum

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk