The simplest way to help GStwin is to use this Amazon link to shop

Main Menu

GS500 basket case

Started by dylan13nnn, December 17, 2019, 05:50:00 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

dylan13nnn

https://youtu.be/QbneQjTWnqU

Thanks buddha
I can move the clutch around back n forth independently from the magnet drum.. its supposed to be held tight with three bolts . like the guy here.. mine still atached for now.. but i definitely have that wriggle there.. something wrong with me welding a 14x1.5 bolt to a slide hammer putting a cushion on the ground to break the fall and knocking it off ?.   Doesnt seem to brutal to break the interference fit even if those magnets are quite brittle and damage easily?

The Buddha

Wait - you have that off already and you can move that bolted on piece - and those bolts are not loose ???
You have a set of wallowed out holes on that donut in your hand. Or the bolts have necked off from wear. Find out what, the bolts are cheap, but that donut in your hand - may be $$$$ if even available.
I've never seen that part wiggle - and never seen those bolts even come loose either, they are loctited from the factory BTW.

Anyway this part does not need sliding hammer or the 14mm axle - you can take off those 3 bolts and see where the wear is. Maybe sleeve that donut if the wear is in it from wallowed out holes.

Cool.
Srinath.
-----------------------------------------------------------------
I run a business based on other people's junk.

dylan13nnn

U missunderstand. That is a screenshot from youtube . Mine is not off yet..  but that part wiggles just like the one on the youtube video. With the magnet drum held tight the clutch part wobbles like the one in pic.. (still atached to the bike) when i wobble it i hear the metalic knock that i herd at idle.  Doesnt matter lol.. il report back when im home and i have mine off tommorow .. cheers

The Buddha

OK if you hold the magnet, that collar/donut rotates ???
OK I've not heard of that happening, but open it up and check the bolts etc, you really hope its bolts that have got wear on the threads, if its the donut, you're gonna have to sleeve it, I suspect its $$$$ if even available.
Cool.
Buddha.

dylan13nnn

dylan13nnn

Even though that looks terrible and ive surely found the source of the noise.  It looks like the design is such that the one way 'clutch'  (whatever the hell its called) is hub centric and relies on the clamping force of the three bolts securing into there seats to secure it tightly to the 'magnet drum' (or whatever the hell thats called). Sleeving will not be required.  If it was stud centric the bolts would be designed with a shoulder where the chopped out threads are now and not threaded right to the head of the bolt. Suzuki know what there doing i reckon, and they haven't designed it to be secured by the threaded shaft of the bolt. But rather the bolt seating and clamping. Lucky the 'seats' for the bolt head are intact and arent chopped out.  I will be replacing the bolts with new equivelant high tensile allen head bolts using red loctite and reassembling when i have time..  👌.  Another roblem solved and thankyou to everybody for your input.

Bluesmudge

Good thing you caught it early. I let mine go until all three bolts sheared off and locked up the generator rotor. That required some damage control. You get away with replacing some bolts.

dylan13nnn

Dude i dont know how you put up with the noise! Sounded like a spun bearing (at idle only).
Omfg yes! Those stupid questions have gone away everytime i post now!  I guess the factory loctite wears off after so many km there was no evidence of loctite on my bolts..  :dunno_black:

The Buddha

My 48K 89 with starter clutch problem had the bolts and the donut nearly pristine. The rotor wasn't coming off the crank, and the rotor was toast anyway, I let the clack stay clacking too long, and the vibration destroyed the magnets it was on so tight, I had to weld the axle onto the rotor, heat the rotor before it will slide off the crank. The donut was mint, one of the springs had busted etc etc.
This wear on lower mile and post 2000 bikes seems to be related to poor manufacturing quality.

Cool.
Srinath.

Bluesmudge

Quote from: The Buddha on December 23, 2019, 07:39:32 AM

This wear on lower mile and post 2000 bikes seems to be related to poor manufacturing quality.

After my starter clutch bolts sheared off, I replaced my entire generator rotor/starter clutch assembly with a pristine unit from an '89 bike hoping that maybe the manufacturing quality was better in the early bikes. The magnets look different. Items like the very nice aluminum shock knuckle and clip on bars on the '89 bikes has lead me to believe that Suzuki hadn't fully implemented their cost cutting measures for 1989 bikes and hopefully the starter clutch is more reliable  :dunno_black:

This is what mine looked like after letting it go too long:

I fixed it 10,000 miles ago. The repair seems to have worked, despite all the metal and magnetic bits I found in the sump.

dylan13nnn

Wow!! Looks like not an uncommon issue.. i agree things are manufactured without due care ..
Anyway, just wanted to report back to all whom offered there help and advice the engine is running like a swiss watch and idling beautifully at about 1100 rpm with no suss noises!.  I can hear the beautiful sound of correctly adjusted valves and the slightly obnoxious exhaust note from the w@nk cannon the PO has installed..  its christmas eve so unfortunately im busy but cant wait to road test.. have a good Christmas.

The Buddha

These bikes appear to have 3 stages in terms of QC. 89-96 seems to be class 1, 96-00 seems to be class 2, the 01/02 I don't know where they fall, but the 04 and later, made in spain ones are the worst.
Still if it starts to make a rattle I'd hope you'd have got after it, but then again, mine was clacking at starting for over a year before I felt it seemed very much more shaky and out of balance one day, yea it sure was, it had lost 1/2 the magnet to that clacking and related vibration.
Cool.
Srinath.

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk