News:

Protect your dainty digits. Get a good pair of riding gloves cheap Right Here

Main Menu

SV650 or FZ6?

Started by mass-hole, March 13, 2012, 06:48:46 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

mass-hole

Has anyone ridden both or either of these bikes, preferably a more recent year, like 07+? What are your thoughts? I would like to get on something with a little more power, not for speed but for highway riding. I typically avoid the highways on my GS as it feels like im riding a bumble bee as fast as it can possibly go, I can practically hear the bolts rattling loose.

I know the SV650 usually wins shootouts between the two bikes. What I hear is that the FZ6 handles very well, better than the SV, but what kills it is the engine. It is very peaky with no low end an bad FI maps. All the reviews I have seen are on 2004's FZ6's which is the first year, they changed the throttle mapping twice by 2007 so i was wondering if the newer bikes were any better.
Current Mods: .85 kg front springs/15wt shock oil, R6 Rear Shock, 45T Rear Sprocket

Kijona

Might also consider the Katana 750.

Locknut type valve adjustment
ULTRA cheap to buy and own
92hp
Only 50lbs heavier than the GS
Comfortable riding position compared to SV650S and others

These bikes get a bad rap because for a 750 they're underpowered; BUT 92hp is nothing to scoff at. It's double what the GS makes and only weighs a fraction more. They're also "old school" which some people just cannot stand.

From what I understand about the SV650...it suffers from cruddy front suspension out of the box, a VERY crunched up riding position (S version), complicated motor/system. It's fuel injected, liquid cooled, DOHC 4V. Although, the cams are gear driven so to adjust the valves all you have to do is pick the camshafts up out of the head - unlike the GS which has chain driven cams. Still a lot of work. Oh and to even change the spark plugs you have to drop the radiator and drain the coolant. Blegh.

SAFE-T

Gear driven cams in the SV650 ?

Juan1

The FZ6 is the superior highway cruiser.  Bigger frame so you can stretch out your legs (the trade off is less maneuverability), better wind protection, cushy shocks, and an engine that is just getting into its power band at highway speeds.  It is a favorite at Sport-touring.net.

When magazines say the FZ6 is gutless down low, they are comparing the bike to 650 twins with an emphasis on midrange power.  The FZ6 is still putting out 25 HP at 4,000 RPM, whereas the GS500 is putting out 19 HP.  The FZ6 is putting out just over 30 HP at 5,000 RPM whereas the GS500 is putting out just over 20.  Yes the FZ6's insane, sub 11.5 quarter mile power doesn't fully hit until 9,000 RPM, but it does not lack for power anywhere. 

As far as the FI mapping goes, it was fixed in 2007.  I've owned and totalled an '07, and the FI is fine.
1982 Kawi GPZ-750, 1998 GS500.

mister

I've ridden both.

My pick would be the SV650 (naked). It has an upright riding position like the GS but more go. I found the SV650 to be... ah heck, read what I already wrote about them here.... http://gstwins.com/gsboard/index.php?topic=52805.msg619587#msg619587

I have ridden a nake SV650 as well though didn't write a review on it for some reason. It's torquey, was more settled in the corners than the Sport one I rode and is a good upgrade from the GS. Don't expect to be blown away by acceleration. At first you'll think it's great, but you get used to that. And then think, I thought it was better - that's how you First thought leaving the GS but those thoughts fade as you get used to the bike and its take off. (Same applies to all upgrades from the GS500.)

BUT, I'll say this... your experience on the bikes might be different. So take both for a ride and see which one YOU feel more at home and more comfortable on  :thumb:

Michael
GS Picture Game - Lists of Completed Challenges & Current Challenge http://tinyurl.com/GS500PictureGame and http://tinyurl.com/GS500PictureGameList2

GS500 Round Aust Relay http://tinyurl.com/GS500RoundAustRelay

Paulcet

No gear driven cam on SV650. It is shim-under-bucket, however, so cams do have to be removed for valve adjustment.

'97 GS500E Custom by dgyver: GSXR rear shock | SV gauges | Yoshi exh. | K & N Lunchbox | Kat forks | Custom rearsets | And More!

Paulcet

Also, I did ride an FZ6.  I kept looking for another gear on the highway, as it does rev a little higher than the GS for a given speed.  But while you can hear the pissed off bee sound, it is smooth as silk compared to a twin cylinder.

FI was very good imho.

'97 GS500E Custom by dgyver: GSXR rear shock | SV gauges | Yoshi exh. | K & N Lunchbox | Kat forks | Custom rearsets | And More!

Kijona

Quote from: Paulcet on March 13, 2012, 11:53:31 AM
No gear driven cam on SV650. It is shim-under-bucket, however, so cams do have to be removed for valve adjustment.

I thought for sure the 650 motor was the same as the 1000... On the 1000 all you had to do was lift the camshafts up and out without having to screw with the chain. Is this not correct? Maybe "gear driven" isn't the right phrase?

SAFE-T

The SV650N and SV650S had slightly different gearing ~ the 'S' having a little longer legs for the highway whereas the 'N' was aimed more towards stop-and-go city driving.

Phil B

Quote from: Kijona on March 13, 2012, 07:58:33 AM
From what I understand about the SV650...it suffers from cruddy front suspension out of the box, a VERY crunched up riding position (S version),

Anyone tried S version with "regular" handlebars?

Paulcet

Kijona,

I don't know about the 1000. I got my info from bluepoof.com

Kijona

Quote from: Paulcet on March 13, 2012, 06:50:35 PM
Kijona,

I don't know about the 1000. I got my info from bluepoof.com

Well, from looking at the FICHE, it appears to be the same. The chain doesn't loop over the top of the cams like it does on ours, it comes up the side and drives a gear which then drives the cams from what I remember. I just remember it being very easy (once you took the bike almost completely apart to get at the heads) to change out the shims. All you had to do was pick the camshaft up out of the head. This was on my DL1000 and I looked at the FICHE for an 05 SV650S. Comparing my memory to the FICHE, it looks the same.

BaltimoreGS

You could go the easy route and buy a low mileage one and sell it before the first major service   ;)

-Jessie

yamahonkawazuki

Quote from: BaltimoreGS on March 13, 2012, 07:37:07 PM
You could go the easy route and buy a low mileage one and sell it before the first major service   ;)

-Jessie
LMAO thats what i did with all but one of hte 4 gs' ive owned
Jan 14 2010 0310 I miss you mom
Vielen dank Patrick. Vielen dank
".
A proud Mormon
"if you come in with the bottom of your cast black,
neither one of us will be happy"- Alan Silverman MD

Twisted

It is why you see a lot of Ducati's being sold at around or before 20,000kms. Just so happens it major service time then.

SAFE-T

Maybe get an SV650N and re-gear it closer to 'S' specs.

BTW, the 2007 GS500F we had with the 18-tooth AFAM front sprocket (discontinued  :sad:) had the same final gearing as the SV650S...

pandy

I've ridden both. The FZ6 was definitely more comfortable for long hauls, but I didn't like the shifting at all. I chose my SV650s because I like the sportier position compared to the SV650 or FZ6. I still do the long hauls and multi-day adventures; I'm just a bit more sore than I'd be otherwise.  :icon_lol:
'06 SV650s (1 past Gixxer; 3 past GS500s)
I get blamed for EVERYTHING around here!
:woohoo:

dougdoberman

As another who's ridden them both i'll mirror a couple of the reponses already posted.  :)

If you're truly looking for something whose #1 and almost-all-the-time usage would be highway commuting, I'd recommend the FZ.

If I were buying one of the two with my own money, it'd be the SV.  :)  Not as good a highway bike, but WAY more fun everywhere else.

As a previous poster mentioned, there are possibly some other options for a highway commuter that might be less expensive but still enjoyable.  The Katana 750 was a good suggestion.  It's fairly heavy, which is actually a bonus when droning on the highway facing turbulence from trucks & high crosswinds & such.  Comfortable seating position.  Fairly bulletproof engine.

If you can't be a good example, at least try to be a horrible reminder.

bill14224

I would take the SV650 over the FZ6, and not because it's a Suzuki.  It's lighter, easier to handle, about as powerful, not buzzy at times, and has more broad power making it easier to ride on the street.  IMHO, a well-balanced 90 degree V-twin like the SV is better than an I-4 for general street use.  The SV is kinda tall so seat height is an issue for some.  Other than that I like the SV better.  Best of luck with what you choose.
V&H pipes, K&N drop-in, seat by KnoPlace.com, 17/39 sprockets, matching grips, fenderectomy, short signals, new mirrors - 10 scariest words: "I'm here from the government and I'm here to help!"

xunedeinx

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk