News:

The simplest way to help GStwin is to use this Amazon link to shop

Main Menu

Diary of my current project build ... with plentyo' pics

Started by dgyver, April 04, 2007, 06:13:54 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

dgyver

Figured I would let a few pics out while I am in the process of assembling my newest project. I should have the motor installed Friday, pulling the 541 from my trackbike until I build the 650 which is next. Just got the front wheel straightened so Powers are going to be ordered soon, but need to confirm chain clearance for a 160. Ignore the rear tire that is installed....140/80, kinda scary on a 4.5 wheel.

Click on the small pic below for a slide show of most the pics in this thread.

edit: I changed the title to better reflect what this thread has turned into.  :thumb:
Common sense in not very common.

dgyver

Here is the latest pic of the painted frame. Once the motor is installed I will finish fabricating the undertail exhaust, using a 999 midpipe. I fits really good under the banana bend.

Turd Ferguson

..:: '05 GS500 :: Hindle Can :: Kat rear wheel  :: Kat Shock ::..
..:: Fairingectomy :: Never been laid down mod ::..

WREX

another project I'm gonna enjoy following...  was wondering when we'd start seeing pics :cheers:

what swingarm is that and how was it to get in?

Alphamazing

No freakin' way. That is my old frame????

Whoah.

Whoah.

Sweet.
'05 DR-Z400SM (For Sale)
'04 GS500E (Sold)

Holy crap it's the Wiki!
http://wiki.gstwins.com/

dgyver

Quote from: WREX on April 04, 2007, 06:47:05 PM
another project I'm gonna enjoy following...  was wondering when we'd start seeing pics :cheers:

It is a RGV swingarm. This one was fairly easy to fit, especially since I already fitted the one Ken (werase643) has. I had my machinist at work make the bushings. He also made the spacer for the rear wheel at the cush drive. I swapped bearings to use the larger RGV 20mm axle.

RedShift

Very nice.  If only I had the time to learn and the equipment to do such magic...  :thumb:
2001 GS500E, stock except for SV650 Flyscreen, Case Guards, Headlight Modulator, PIAA Super White bulb & 17-Tooth Front Sprocket, BLUE, RED and GREEN LED Instrument and Dash Lights

dgyver

Quote from: AlphaFire X5 on April 04, 2007, 06:56:27 PM
No freakin' way. That is my old frame????

Whoah.

Whoah.

Sweet.

Yep that is it. I need to find the before pics.

werase643

D, ya got me on the Banana arm....schweet!!!!!!
wish I had a set of forks like that...... never mind

or you could have just used a SV rear wheel.....
want Iain's money to support my butt in kens shop

werase643

80 bucks to fix the bent wheel I gave you.....not bad!!! :cheers:

WREX

Quote from: dgyver on April 04, 2007, 06:59:57 PM
Quote from: WREX on April 04, 2007, 06:47:05 PM

It is a RGV swingarm. This one was fairly easy to fit, especially since I already fitted the one Ken (werase643) has. I had my machinist at work make the bushings. He also made the spacer for the rear wheel at the cush drive. I swapped bearings to use the larger RGV 20mm axle.

cool - thanks for the info.   not that versed on the rgv stuff and thought it was, but was thrown off a bit when looking at Ken's swingarm, which is also an rgv one but looks different?  what's the diff? 

dgyver

Here are a couple of the before (after Alpha) pics of the frame. The exhaust mount/peg bracket was all but ripped from the subframe. It worked out fine since I needed the clearance for the undertail exhaust. Reshaped and plenty of welding. Not installing passenger pegs and using one of my race tails. The right inside of the subframe is reinforced with a continously welded 1/8"x1 flat bar in the moddified area. Replaced the rear grab bar mount as well.

The damaged rearset mount was welded up with a 1/4" plate to mount to now. I moddified the left to match.

Alphamazing

Here's another "before" picture:

Glad everything worked out. Hope it wasn't too much of a hassle to fix it.
'05 DR-Z400SM (For Sale)
'04 GS500E (Sold)

Holy crap it's the Wiki!
http://wiki.gstwins.com/

dgyver

Quote from: werase643 on April 04, 2007, 07:08:26 PM
80 bucks to fix the bent wheel I gave you.....not bad!!! :cheers:

Actually....it cost me a mildly bent 06 gix1k wheel in trade to fix 2 wheels. The gray with polished lips was the other one. I had the strip the lips since the paint was chipping one side. I feel like I owe you for the yellow wheel. I have aready stripped the paint. Sucks that it used to be the same charcoal gray.

I could have used a SV wheel but this was the wheel I bought a long time ago to see if it would fit in a GS swingarm...the one that started the Kat wheel install.

werase643

early VJ-21 was unbraced
late VJ-21  was double braced
VJ-22 was Banana
and I think VJ-23 was double braced again????

dgyver

Quote from: WREX on April 04, 2007, 07:18:27 PM
cool - thanks for the info.   not that versed on the rgv stuff and thought it was, but was thrown off a bit when looking at Ken's swingarm, which is also an rgv one but looks different?  what's the diff? 

It is from a 92 (-95) VJ22...I may be wrong but I think they were also available with the braced as well as the banana at the same time. I got most of my info from www.rgv250.co.uk

WREX

thanks for the rgv schoolin' guys.

again, really looking forward to seeing the project unfold.  keep us posted.

dbarile

Very cool...  I look forward to seeing the engine in it.

1993 GS500E in basic black
2002 SV650S in cool blue
1993 GS500E Bike-in-a-Box

dgyver

The motor swap took less time than I though, about 1 hour. It was tough by myself and trying not to scratch the frame, but I did nick it a few times. I had a tough time with bolting in the lower frame rail, hopefully nothing is tweaked.

Looks like I will be doing electrical tomorrow.

Here is a mocked up with the tail and tank. Interesting that I happen to have the same tank as Alpha did. I am going to attach the tail to a cut seat pan so it can be lockable. I am going to mock it up with a 01 tank and tail to see how I like it. The 01+ tail does fit better with the undertail mid pipe. I may be finishing the 01+ race tail sooner that I thought.

The tail will be painted silver to match the TLR front fender. It will have number plates as well. I have not installed the fender since I was sanding it for the clear coat.

Turd Ferguson

Quote from: dbarile on April 04, 2007, 08:09:55 PM
Very cool...  I look forward to seeing the engine in it.

Hows that for service!

Looks great dgyver!  Keep the updates coming, there are a lot of people living vicariously through you right now!
..:: '05 GS500 :: Hindle Can :: Kat rear wheel  :: Kat Shock ::..
..:: Fairingectomy :: Never been laid down mod ::..

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk