News:

Need a manual?  Buy a Haynes manual Here

Main Menu

problems w f to e conversion...any ideas?

Started by dbrasco, July 06, 2012, 06:29:28 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

dbrasco

hi guys (and girls)

i have a 2008 gs and am doing the f to e conversion, well, finishing it...as the previous owner started it.  i have run into 2 problems and im hoping the someone will have a few ideas of how to go about addressing them.

1- i bought a used headlight assembly which did not come with the washer/spacer which goes through the rubber grommet (it looks like a washer with a square piece that sits inside the grommet and the mounting screw goes through it) it appears on the parts fiche that it is only sold as part of the assembly.  is there anywhere to get this piece? or does anyone have a suggestion for a substitute?

2- when the p/o installed the new headlight (a mini dominator, dual headlight) they removed the 3 pin socket for the headlight from the wiring harness and spliced the new lights in.  is there any way to aquire and replace without purchasing an entire new wiring harness?

thanks in advance for any help and direction.

brasco

dbrasco

gsJack

Get a socket and splice it to the harness wires, just google H4 headlight socket and you'll get many replies like this:

http://motors.shop.ebay.com/i.html?_nkw=H4+9003+Headlight+connector
407,400 miles in 30 years for 13,580 miles/year average.  Started riding 7/21/84 and hung up helmet 8/31/14.

dbrasco

gsjack, many thanks for the link.

anyone have a suggestion for the washer/spacer thing to mount the headlight assem.?

dbrasco

cheetahman

Hardware stores have all kinds of rubber gromets and rubber washers in their section with all the little doo dads in the drawers.  Maybe you can find a combination of stainless washers and gromets that will do the same thing.
"You're having a Nutty Bar and a Beck's for breakfast?" 

"Yeah.... the Guinness is all gone."

dbrasco

so upon further discussion with my local suzuki parts rep, she confirmed that piece is only available by purchasing the entire head light bucket assem.  while i was there, another customer mentioned that the washer/spacer piece is designed to prevent the rubber grommet from being compressed when you tighten the nut and bolt which attaches the assembly to the mounts.

so, i went to my local home depot and bought a nylon spacer which the bolt will fit through, and a washer large enough to cover the grommet.

understanding the purpose of a part helped me come up with an alternative approach.

thanks to all for your help and ideas.

brasco

dbrasco

so i finally got all my parts together to change out the headlight.

on the h4 connector for the headlight i will be splicing into the wiring harness, does anyone know off hand which wires (coming from the connector) are for the low beam/high beam/ground?

looking at the connector from the front (where the bulb will plug in) the wire colors on the h4 are: black on the left, blue on the right and white in the lower middle.

thank you

dbrasco

so after a little digging around the web, heres what i found in case anyone else needs this info...

the black wire in the left connection is the common (ground)
the white wire in the center connection is for the low beam
the blue wire in the right connection is for the high beam.

the colors of the wires seem to vary with different manufacturers, but the positions of the connectors seems to be universal.

completed the f to e conversion today. it was much easier than i had anticipated. it took about 45 mins with an extra pair of hands.

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk