News:

Protect your dainty digits. Get a good pair of riding gloves cheap Right Here

Main Menu

1982 GS450E Refresh - Scrambler-ish to Cafe-ish

Started by peteGS, November 28, 2019, 12:35:59 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

peteGS

For once I'm doing something on a GS Twin instead of my Katana, so figured I could actually finally start a topical thread on here  :icon_mrgreen:

In 1998 I bought this 1982 Suzuki GS450E:

IMG_0267 by starpoint73, on Flickr

That photo was taken when it unfortunately went off the road due to lack of $$, then after a number of years in better circumstances at the end of 2011 after a rebuild it ended up like this:

2012072614 by starpoint73, on Flickr

Since then it's been my daily rider, has given me close to 90,000kms of fun, but has also had some fun of its own with traffic altercations and diesel spills, so it's currently a bit ratty with a dented header and so forth (and a top box for the commute):

Untitled by starpoint73, on Flickr

This year I completed my 1984 Katana 1100 and have had six months worth of fun on that, with the unfortunate situation that my wrists are feeling incredibly uncomfortable with the motorcross 'bars on the 450, so I'm not riding it as much.

So that brings us to this thread where my plan initially is to fit some clubman 'bars and a set of rearsets to the 450 to get the riding position closer to that of the Kat.

I ordered some clubman 'bars which have arrived, and I got some ZX12 rearsets from a mate that weren't in use (at the right price... breakfast).

I've done a quick mock up of the rearsets, and conveniently at this height they give me exactly the same peg to seat height as the Katana, although I will need to move them forward closer to the swingarm pivot bolt as they're a little too far back.

The plan is to use some 10 - 12mm thick 6061 T6 aluminium to make the brackets that will replace the stock footpeg holders. I'll need to ensure I add washers or a spacer for the swingarm axle and will need to figure out a centre stand bump stop as that hangs of the stock muffler bracket location (you can just see it in the pic).

Here's an exciting photo of the clumans:

I started on the clubman install last night and the night before and so far that's proving interesting. I measured my existing controls etc. and figured there would be plenty of real estate on the clubmans but in reality it's a close call! I need to be careful of clearance between the throttle block and brake lever to ensure there's no interference.

I'm also going to have to re-route the throttle and clutch cables to ensure the curves aren't too tight and cause excess friction. I've also taken the headlight and brackets off so I can get the brake hose routed a little better. Ideally I should be replacing the master cylinder with a remote reservoir style and swapping out the brake line for a shorter one, but I have zero budget for this at present.

I haven't taken progress pics yet, hope to do so after I've figured the cable routing issues out, and there's a chance that Sunday this weekend will involve reverting to the motorcross 'bars so I can keep riding while I figure out a solution.
'82 GS450E
'84 GSX1100S Katana

peteGS

The clubmans are all but installed after last night.

Fiddled with the clutch and choke cables so neither has a tight radius and rerouted the throttle cable around the left of the steering stem. Most definitely going to need different mirrors, don't think the existing ones will work too well at all.

I've replaced the headlight brackets as I'll need to have the headlight lower than the stock position to accomodate the new brake line and throttle cable positions, but I haven't sorted the headlight out just yet.

It's always been a fun little bike to ride but after sitting on it in the garage last night it now feels absolutely tiny!

'82 GS450E
'84 GSX1100S Katana

Bluesmudge

I'm in for watching this build progress.
I've always appreciated the aesthetics of the GS450E and assume the motor has very similar characteristics to the GS500. It must be a fun bike! Glad to hear you have gotten a lot of use out of it.

peteGS

Hey Bluesmudge yeah the 450's are great little bikes and while I've not actually ridden a 500 they share so many commonalities they'd have to be fairly similar. In stock guise they definitely sound very similar!

It's certainly a fun bike and has given me many years of joy, especially trying to keep up with my riding buddies on their bigger Katanas and GSX's.

I have 2001 model GS500 camshafts in the top end along with the same model carbs, and they've made some big improvements. The camshafts in particular seem to have given it a bit of a midrange boost which is very handy. It doesn't do much over about 8500 RPM like it used to but that's ok I prefer midrange.

This thread's probably going to evolve quite slowly as I have things to revisit on the Katana that will suck up $$, but there's a bunch I can do that's simply effort which I'll get done as I get time.

Hopefully this morning I'll get a test ride in with the clubmans to ensure it's right for the commute this week, and then hopefully have enough time to rip the footpegs, swingarm axle, and footpeg holders off so I can make the brackets in timber to check linkage lengths etc. I can hopefully pick up some aluminium offcuts this week to start making the end product.
'82 GS450E
'84 GSX1100S Katana

peteGS

Test ride done and dusted yesterday, had to navigate through some pre-Christmas shopping traffic and even with the stock mirrors it's so much easier to filter!

I definitely need 'bar end mirrors and weights, the vibes aren't great on the hands and the mirrors I have on there are barely useable due to the angle.

I definitely need to sort the rearsets out too as the footpeg position just feels wrong, even with toes on pegs like I normally ride.

Yesterday after that I took the footpegs etc. off and swingarm axle out so I could remove the stock hangers and mock up some timber brackets, will post some pics and details once I know what I'm doing. I can use an existing spare Katana shift linkage I have, but the brake side is a big question at the moment. Going to need a spacer each side for the swingarm axle too as I suspected as well as the drum brake actuator. Those run through the stock footpeg hangers so are too long without those in place.
'82 GS450E
'84 GSX1100S Katana

cbrfxr67

Finally you made a thread!  This is going to be great! Good stuff already sir! :bowdown:
"Its something you take apart in 2-3 days and takes 10 years to go back together."
-buddha

peteGS

Hahahaha yep figured I'd do something completely different  :icon_lol:

I was able to mock up the rearsets with some scrap timber I had around from an old packing crate. On the downside, I put a little pressure on the right one and it snapped... oops! Still useful though.

The excellent news is that my spare shift linkage and rod ends I have are the right length for the gear shift linkage, and the existing shift linkage is the same length as what I need for the brake lever side. Bargain!

I've put the bent brake lever on for reference, it'll get cut down although I may rotate it one spline further down yet to compensate for the fact it won't have 90 degree angles (I hope that makes sense!).

I picked up some 12mm thick 6061 T6 aluminium flat bar so I can get on with making the brackets now.

I also need to make up two 10mm spacers for the swingarm axle.
'82 GS450E
'84 GSX1100S Katana

peteGS

I've been plugging away at the rearset brackets, slow going cutting 12mm aluminium plate with a hacksaw and stitch drilling the curves but the first bracket is cut out ready to be drilled and have the edges filed smooth. Didn't get a photo yet but will once I've got the second bracket in the same state.

I'm heading down to a mate's place tomorrow to borrow his lathe to make the swingarm axle spacers.

My 'bar end mirrors arrived yesterday, fitted them last night but need to test ride with them yet. So far they look like they'll do the job and are heavier than I anticipated so I'm not sure if I need to figure out 'bar end weights or not yet.

'82 GS450E
'84 GSX1100S Katana

peteGS

I borrowed my mate's lathe yeserday to make the 10mm spacers for the swingarm.

I've roughly cut the rearset brackets out and have drilled and tapped a hole for an eyelet for the brake lever return spring. Will be heading back down Wednesday night to use his milling machine to clean the brackets up.

So far the weight of the 'bar end mirrors seem to have solved the vibe issue so I'm keen to see how they are on the commute this morning. So far visibility is good.

'82 GS450E
'84 GSX1100S Katana

cbrfxr67

"Its something you take apart in 2-3 days and takes 10 years to go back together."
-buddha

mr72

looks familiar.

BTW I was using half as thick aluminum, but cut it with a jigsaw. As long as I kept the blade lubricated it went pretty ok. But it was not a pleasant experience. I can't imagine doing it with a hand saw.

peteGS

Cheers CBR!!

Yep mr72 the hacksaw ain't the easiest thing... I have a jigsaw but most of this I'm doing at night and making a lot of noise isn't an option, so hand tools all the way. The drill press isn't too noisy though.

I'm part way through the centre stand bump stop but not enough progress for pics yet, hopefully have something I can share next update. Basically I'm making one that bolts on using the right hand swingarm bolt... actually I won't attempt to explain, I'll just post a pic when it's done :)
'82 GS450E
'84 GSX1100S Katana

peteGS

Actually @mr72 I meant to ask what was familiar... then I noticed you have a project thread in which you and I have used the same techniques for making footpeg brackets, now I see! :)

Were you able to just re-use your stock bolts etc. for them? I'm going to be chasing down some M10 cap head bolts for mine as the stock ones are a little second hand these days. Was going to use high tensile but they seem to be hard to come by as opposed to stainless, so I may opt for some 316 grade 80 yet as they're supposed to be structurally close enough to 8.8 tensile steel.
'82 GS450E
'84 GSX1100S Katana

mr72

I was able to reuse bolts to affix my new footpeg plates to the frame. I did have to add my own bolts for the rear brake M/C extension plate.

Everything works great and it seems the 1/4" thick material is more than strong enough. I would think yours will be even better, thicker material and stronger mounting for the brake and shift levers.

peteGS

Ok cool good stuff! I'd like to refresh the fasteners but also need new ones for the rearsets themselves. The thickness of mine is probably more than I need, but I'd rather do that than have them brake or bend on me. I'm also trying to keep the pegs similar width wise to the stock ones. If the left one is too close to the frame I'll start having issues with the pipe running inside my left ankle. Where it is now I basically don't notice it.

I got the centre stand bump stop mostly made last night, all that's left to do is drill the hole for the rubber stopper, paint it, then mount it. I'll figure the diameter for the rubber stopper when I properly test fit the rearsets which should be over the weekend. I do need to round the edges and tidy it up yet also.

The bump stop simply mounts with the right swingarm axle and uses the mount on the frame as support (yeah it's filthy under there!).

'82 GS450E
'84 GSX1100S Katana

mr72

Quote from: peteGS on December 10, 2019, 12:26:08 PM
I'm also trying to keep the pegs similar width wise to the stock ones. If the left one is too close to the frame I'll start having issues with the pipe running inside my left ankle.

That's a really good point and something you don't often think about. I came home from my recent ride and noticed a whole bunch of scratches on the leather of the inside heel of my (new!!) right boot. After I freaked out about that I went out and looked at the bike and it appears my right boot is contacting the bolt head holding the right peg plate on when I brake. Which sucks. But anyway, dunno why left side doesn't have the same problem when I shift but I'll be doing something to keep me from further ruining my boots. Stock foot peg plates ("rearsets") had the peg well aft of these bolt heads which is why I think it didn't bother, was nearer your arch on your foot.

peteGS

Well to be honest if I didn't have the pipe where it is I wouldn't have given it a second thought either!

In my ridng circle the 450 is known as either the wee beastie or the leg burner... The pipe has had two victims so far as the heat shield could really be a few inches longer to be fully effective.

The pipe has some stains on it from one mate's boots where they were contacting the pipe, and another mate has a scar from a huge blister on the inside of his ankle that came from riding it for 50 or 60kms on a ride a number of years ago. He's a diabetic so feeling in that area is not great, and he didn't pick it up soon enough. I didn't feel real good about that when we swapped back again...
'82 GS450E
'84 GSX1100S Katana

peteGS

And I'm all set for a short test ride this morning!  :woohoo:

I still have to shorten the stock brake lever I've cut down yet but it'll work for a test ride, so providing all goes well I can take everything back off and get some paint done later today. I need to get some proper fasteners during the week and then everything should be good to rock and roll.

The spare Katana shift link I have is exactly the right length for the gear linkage, and the stock gear shift linkage is exactly right for the brake link. That worked out well! I may need to get a shorter return spring for the brake yet but the brake lever travel feels right sitting on it in the garage, will verify that on the test ride.

'82 GS450E
'84 GSX1100S Katana

peteGS

Mixed success on the test ride... the rearsets feel good and the levers are in the right positions, so I've taken them apart and given the brackets, spacers, and bump stop the stain black treatment.

On the other hand it looks like my Acewell speedo has taken a dive after the torrential rain I rode home in on Friday, so now I need to figure out what to do there.
'82 GS450E
'84 GSX1100S Katana

cbrfxr67

"the rearsets feel good and the levers are in the right positions"
yayyyyyyyyy
"it looks like my Acewell speedo has taken a dive"
awwwwwww
-buddha

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk