News:

The simplest way to help GStwin is to use this Amazon link to shop

Main Menu

Ask a RiderCoach!

Started by Watcher, March 19, 2017, 09:36:20 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

cbrfxr67

Thanks for the reply watcher!  You always post very interesting info!
"Its something you take apart in 2-3 days and takes 10 years to go back together."
-buddha

Watcher

Quote from: qcbaker on February 26, 2018, 08:21:45 AM
Is there not a risk of wearing out the throw out bearing, or is that not as applicable to motorcycles?

Do motorcycles have throw out bearings?

Honestly, I don't know.
But the clutch is used so much in motorcycling, especially in low speed maneuvers, holding it for a minute at a stop or not wouldn't make that much of difference in the grand scheme, I don't think.

Still, I'll take fixing a transmission a little sooner than usual over fixing a broken back because I got rear ended while I was in neutral.
"The point of a journey is not to arrive..."

-Neil Peart

qcbaker

Quote from: Watcher on February 26, 2018, 07:05:22 PM
Quote from: qcbaker on February 26, 2018, 08:21:45 AM
Is there not a risk of wearing out the throw out bearing, or is that not as applicable to motorcycles?

Do motorcycles have throw out bearings?

Honestly, I don't know.

I don't know either, transmissions aren't something I'm incredibly familiar with.

Still, I'll take fixing a transmission a little sooner than usual over fixing a broken back because I got rear ended while I was in neutral.

Good point lol. I actually almost got rear ended ran over this morning on my way to work. Traffic was stop and go and I pulled up behind the car ahead of me and stopped. I looked in my mirror and saw that the truck behind me was not slowing down, I flashed my brake lights and scooted around to the right side of the car ahead of me. The truck did manage to stop and didn't hit me or the car in front, but it was a close one. I turned around and threw my arms up in a "Dude, what the hell?" way and he apologized. I think he just genuinely didn't notice me and felt bad.

cbrfxr67

Isn't that how addy departed?  I think he was in a middle turn lane and a lady hit him.  :cry:
"Its something you take apart in 2-3 days and takes 10 years to go back together."
-buddha

Watcher

Quote from: qcbaker on February 27, 2018, 06:14:51 AM
I actually almost got rear ended ran over this morning on my way to work. Traffic was stop and go and I pulled up behind the car ahead of me and stopped. I looked in my mirror and saw that the truck behind me was not slowing down, I flashed my brake lights and scooted around to the right side of the car ahead of me. The truck did manage to stop and didn't hit me or the car in front, but it was a close one. I turned around and threw my arms up in a "Dude, what the hell?" way and he apologized. I think he just genuinely didn't notice me and felt bad.

This is also why I tend to stop biased to one side of the lane or another.  If it looks like that driver behind me isn't stopping, better I move onto the lane lines and let him rear-end the driver in front of me.  Cars at least have crumple zones...

Quote from: cbrfxr67 on February 27, 2018, 07:56:08 AM
Isn't that how addy departed?  I think he was in a middle turn lane and a lady hit him.  :cry:

Yes...

http://www.vashonbeachcomber.com/news/motorcyclist-dies-in-car-accident-on-vashon-highway-updated/

:cry: :cry: :cry:

-Neil Peart

Watcher

My training company hired a videographer to come out and film a couple of classes and get interviews with us.  I think it came out awesome!

We knew we were getting interviewed but we didn't know what kinds of questions she was going to ask.  Steve and myself stumble with our words a little, but I kind of like it that way.  You're seeing the real us, not a rehearsed performance.  Side note, the real reason our interviews are black/white is because we were both sunburned pretty bad, lol!

-Neil Peart

KHnTX

I'm going to be picking up my first street bike soon, have ridden dirt bikes and quads in my younger days so I've only ever had motorcross style helmets.  What is your opinion on a newer style helmet like the Scorpion http://scorpionusa.com/products/helmets/street-helmets/covert/covert-solid.html vs a modular helmet like this HJC http://www.hjchelmets.com/hjca/ismax2/.

I know a full face helmet will provide the best protection in a minor accident, but I like the idea of being able to open up the front or remove it should I desire. 

Sent from my ONEPLUS A3000 using Tapatalk

KHnTX

Botched the second link for the HJC modular, http://www.hjchelmets.com/hjca/ismax2/

Watcher

The Scorpion Covert looks pretty cool.

...  that's about it.

We sell them at CycleGear, they're half helmets with attachments to make them look like 3/4 or full-face helmets.

It's like a GS500E vs a GS500F.  The F has fairings, but the fairings don't offer any additional protection to speak of.  The face-mask of the Scorpion might protect you from stones and bugs, and while the "neck roll" does offer more coverage and padding for the base of your skull and the sides of your head it's not really designed for protection as much as it is for looks.
And also, from personal experience, it's nearly impossible to install a bluetooth kit.

Modular helmets are getting more and more popular, and better and better designed.  They aren't as safe as traditional full-face helmets; aside from the actual latch and hinge mechanisms being able to fail the split-shell designs leave the whole helmet overall weaker, but unlike the Scorpion Covert the chin-bar WILL actually protect you in a crash.  Maybe not a crash at 100mph, but around town they'll be more than adequate.  You also get the advantage of being able to drink while on the bike and being able to stop in a gas-station/convenience-store without taking the whole helmet off.  Less obvious disadvantages are they're heavier and they are generally noisier due to the chin-bar not technically sealing against the helmet shell.

Generally the more you spend on a helmet the better off you are, as they'll be made with better, stronger materials, they'll be safer, and they'll be better designed in regards to both airflow and noise reduction.  Especially with modulars, you get what you pay for.  If you can stretch your budget do so.  The few months of Ramen noodle dinners in exchange for potentially years of comfort on the bike is a trade I am, and hope you would be, willing to make.

Shoei's original Neotec is on closeout for about $500.  9/10 on that one.

-Neil Peart

KHnTX

I'll check that one out also when it's time to make a purchase.  I don't get the bike till next week after I'm back from my trip.  I've got the budget for the helmet as I'm getting a pretty good deal on the bike.  I do need to pickup appropriate riding gear before I take the MSF course, helmet being the most important then the gloves are next.  I should have suitable items for the rest of it. 

In your experience, what do most people bring they think meets the gear requirements but doesn't?

Watcher

Quote from: KHnTX on May 16, 2018, 04:58:14 PM
I've got the budget for the helmet as I'm getting a pretty good deal on the bike.  I do need to pickup appropriate riding gear before I take the MSF course, helmet being the most important then the gloves are next.

In your experience, what do most people bring they think meets the gear requirements but doesn't?

The requirements as stated from the MSF are very open for interpretation, but my organization in particular is pretty relaxed about it.

MSF requires:
Long sleeves (pretty self explanatory.  Don't need a jacket, just a long sleeve cotton shirt will be fine.)
"Sturdy" pants (jeans or your average pair of cargos are fine, no track pants or sweatpants or dress-slacks or anything like that).
"Sturdy" over the ankle footwear (Cons are probably a bad idea, but your average hi-top gym-shoe is probably ok.  Boots are preferred, but a steel-toe work boot is too bulky.  We'll give someone a hard time about hi-top Cons, but if they can't get an alternative in time we'll probably still let them ride so long as the shoes are in good condition and laced all the way up.)

Helmets and gloves are provided for you, should you require, but you're better off having your own helmet so you don't have to deal with wearing someone else's - ahem - "face fluids".
Any gloves that are full-fingered are fine, but as with the pants/boots something like a thin white evening glove or a pair of welder's leather gloves are probably bad ideas.

Probably the two things I send riders away for most of all are shoes and sleeves.  Seems most people wear jeans regardless, but low-tops and a t-shirt are both a no-go.
My military clients are usually well prepared, they'll wear their issued footwear and often will ride in their ABUs.

-Neil Peart

qcbaker

So, I attended the first session for the BRC last night. I found out that PA recently switched from the MSF program to Total Control. Do you have an opinion on that?

Watcher

I haven't taken total control so not really.

IIRC Total Control is the brain-child of Lee Parks while the MSF was developed from cumulative research and study of rider behavior and statistics and such.
I've also heard that TC's advanced course is more of an "introduction to track riding" in the sense that they do a lot of work on turning and body position, while the MSF focuses more on emergency maneuvers and braking and such.

Either way, so long as you are being taught by a certified instructor you can't really go wrong.

I'm interested to get your feedback on it when the class is concluded.

-Neil Peart

qcbaker

So I had my first range session this weekend for the Total Control course. I like the exercises they had us do and I think it definitely works as a way to go from literally zero moto experience to being able to ride the bike somewhat competently. Lots of focus on head turning and general best practices.

However, as someone with a couple years of street riding and many years of trail riding experience, I found the pace a bit slow. But I feel like that's a problem with me more than it is the course. They also wanted us to be covering the clutch at all times. They said its because it can be used as a "panic button" of sorts if you accidentally give too much throttle. This was a bit frustrating to me because as someone with some level of experience (not that I'm an expert by any means), I'm not really who they're worried about doing that and I don't usually cover my clutch when riding. Parking lots and stop and go traffic are like the only times I cover it, so being told to cover the clutch for what amounts to basically no reason was kind of annoying.

Lastly, I did the class in POURING rain. While being very wet (my gear is still a bit damp today and I took the class Saturday morning) and very cold was absolutely miserable, I valued the experience of being able to practice the basics in the rain. It's a good confidence builder. However, my girlfriend got way too cold and had to drop out (and she wasn't the only one). That was a bit of a bummer since she'll have to retake that range session at some point before our next class, but it wasn't her fault.  She actually got pulled over on her way home because she was driving really slowly and apparently when the cop came to her window, her lips were blue and she was slurring her speech. I'm glad she stopped when she did, otherwise she may have had to go to the hospital.

Watcher

That's a total bummer, sounds like your coaches weren't as attentive as they should have been...

Glad the GF is ok.

-Neil Peart

qcbaker

In their defense, its hard to tell if someone is developing hypothermia if their face/body is covered by all their riding gear. Plus, if they're completing the exercises without needing much extra instruction, you might not notice the slurred speech. And she was riding well, much better than she was when I was trying to teach her anyway lol. But, she was talking a lot about good it felt to be able to ride around and stuff, even in the rain, and how much fun she had before it got too cold. So it sounds to me like she caught a little bit of the riding bug so hopefully she'll find a way to make up the range session and complete the course.

What's your stance on the clutch covering thing? I can sort of see it as a "this is good for beginners" thing, but for intermediate/advanced riders I think it's kind of overly cautious for very little benefit.

mr72

BTW I am more than happy with my sedici Strada helmet after nearly 2 years and 4k miles. I personally feel like a high visibility helmet is critical safety equipment so I'd never consider a matte black helmet no matter what.

I also really like my Bilt cafe jacket but in Texas it is most useful from about late September until May. But June thru August you're going to want a full mesh jacket or you won't ride.

Another thing is even though my helmet has a built-in sun screen I never use it. Clear visor and sunglasses gets the job done much better.

Imho. Recent noob myself.

Sent from my Pixel 2 using Tapatalk

Watcher

Quote from: qcbaker on May 21, 2018, 09:47:59 AM
What's your stance on the clutch covering thing? I can sort of see it as a "this is good for beginners" thing, but for intermediate/advanced riders I think it's kind of overly cautious for very little benefit.

I might encourage it but I don't enforce it.

It's an ok idea while they're learning the bikes, but by mid day I couldn't care less.  In fact, I usually encourage the opposite once the students are comfortable.  Same like the brakes; they should be covering the control if they expect to use it, such as approaching intersections and being prepared to stop, but when carrying on they should have all four fingers around the grips.

-Neil Peart

qcbaker

So, I successfully completed the BRC and am now (finally) a fully licensed motorcyclist lol. As for feedback, I have mixed feelings. I feel like there are some things about the class I really liked, and others I really didn't like. But, I think most of the things I didn't like were because I'm already a reasonably competent rider and the course is focused on teaching you to ride without having prior knowledge. So I think I failed to go in with a "beginner's mind" so to speak.

To elaborate a bit, I got a bit frustrated with the instructors the second range session because they seemed hyper focused on enforcing arbitrary things. For example, we started the second range session with a cornering exercise. Because I hang off when I corner at speed, my inside knee reflexively came off the tank a bit during the first pass and they harped on me about keeping my knees on the tank. I could understand if they had a real issue with my technique (not turning my head enough, not rolling on smoothly, etc.) but to criticize me for using actual proper body position just because the instruction book says "knees against the tank" kind of annoyed me. However, I do understand that the course is geared towards people who aren't familiar with that type of thing, so I'm trying not to hold it against them. Another example was braking before corners. There were a few times we were going so slow I didn't feel the need to brake prior to the corners and the instructors told me each time I needed to brake. The cornering acronym Total Control uses is SPAT: Adjust your Speed, Adjust your Position, Aim (basically, turn your head and look at the corner exit), then Turn. "Adjusting your speed" doesn't necessarily mean I have to brake. I asked the instructor "The S in SPAT is for "speed", not braking, right? I'm adjusting my speed by rolling off the throttle, why do you keep insisting I need to brake?" and he was really dismissive and just told me to brake. Maybe he thought I was being a jerk, but I was just genuinely confused by his insistence on me braking. If we're going 10mph, it seems a bit ridiculous to dismissively insist that I brake before this curve that I could easily take at 30 especially after I made it clear that I understood the material. His dismissive attitude really rubbed me the wrong way because it seemed so arbitrary and in the moment its very difficult to remember that the course is not designed for a rider who can already corner fine.

And I realize that some of that may sound a bit pretentious but I don't really mean to imply that I know more than the instructors or that my cornering is perfect as is, or anything like that. I just feel that my experience level was a bit higher than this course was designed for.

Watcher

Quote from: qcbaker on June 04, 2018, 01:02:08 PM
And I realize that some of that may sound a bit pretentious but I don't really mean to imply that I know more than the instructors or that my cornering is perfect as is, or anything like that. I just feel that my experience level was a bit higher than this course was designed for.

Designed or not, it sounds like your instructors were pretty rigid.

This may be the case as required by "big wigs" in some places.  I have word that the program in IL, though it's the same curriculum that I teach here in AZ, is very "no personality" and incredibly "by the book," which can be a condition of it being a state sponsored program and to ensure conformity across all venues and coaches.

I can say that in the class I teach I'll break a bad habit if I see one but an experienced rider is an experienced rider and I don't fix what isn't broken.

Sorry to hear that your experience was less than stellar.

-Neil Peart

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk