RD250 LandSpeed bike (Well part of it is a GS500!!)

Started by EdE, July 19, 2017, 10:50:59 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

EdE

Hey guys just thought you'd get a giggle out of this. Here's my newest and I'm sure last Landspeed bike project. It's a highly modified Yamaha RD250 but if you look closely from the swingarm back it's GS500!! I just set a record on it sunday on it's second run at 123.243 but the ultimate goal is 150.

Endopotential

That looks absolutely crazy!  :thumb:

You must have the arms of an orangutan to reach those bars with the seat about 5 feet back!  Else I can't imagine that gas tank is too comfy lying on your belly?
http://gstwins.com/gsboard/index.php?topic=70953.0

2007 GS500F Cafe Fighter - cut off the tail, K&N lunchbox, short exhaust, 20/60/140 jets, R6 shock, all sorts of other random bits...

Big Rich

Ed, I for one am always amazed by your work. Thank you so much for sharing!
83 GR650 (riding / rolling project)

It's opener there in the wide open air...

ShowBizWolf

Superbike bars, '04 GSXR headlight & cowl, DRZ signals, 1/2" fork brace, 'Busa fender, stainless exhaust & brake lines, belly pan, LED dash & brake bulbs, 140/80 rear hoop, F tail lens, SV650 shock, Bandit400 hugger, aluminum heel guards & pegs, fork preload adjusters, .75 SonicSprings, heated grips

qcbaker

Cool! Would love to see a video of this thing doing a hit on a drag strip lol

EdE

For my fellow Two Stroke nuts on this forum. It was a seriously busy season of working the bugs out of a new bike this year but it paid off the last race of the year 11/11/17 when I pulled off a pass at 143.767mph unfaired on gas at El Mirage Dry Lake.
Of course I'm already busy building next years set of cylinders and pipes. 6.3mph to go.

J_Walker

I dont know much about these land speed bikes and the rules. but couldn't you get your last 5mph if you threw even a basic fairing on the front of that thing?
-Walker

EdE

I have more fun running in the unfaired class (no fairing) more than I ever did with a fairing. Ed

ajensen

Amazing! Those little two-strokes can really put out a lot of horsepower if properly built and tuned. Good work.

gregjet

You are allowed a front mudguard though aren't you? A well designed mudguard would help fair the front wheel and forks ( partially) and you could use it to divide the air with min drag for part of the bike.
Same for the tamk area . Something fairer that smoothed the flow around your body and got rid of the vortex shedding behind the forks uppers would also help and still be legal ( I think).
How come that seat isn't regarded as fairing?
Any reason for the long torquey stingers?

The Buddha

I dont think a mudguard would help but yea that fork wake could be minimized as is tank etc etc.
Oh the rider sits on the tank ? Yikes, that's gotta be painful @ 145 mph.
Cool.
Buddha.
-----------------------------------------------------------------
I run a business based on other people's junk.
-----------------------------------------------------------------

gregjet

When you are going for incremental records everything helps. And the top of the wheel is turning towards the wind at twice the speed of the bike so even skin drag matters. 
The limit on top speed is almost entirely air drag so every component that reduces that will influence top speed. The trick is to make a component that is as slippery as possible without running foul of the no fairing rules.

From what I have read one of the biggest problems with control is getting lift at speed and losing steering from it. Every bike is different, but it would appear that moving some of the mass forward would be an advantage. That might give you an opportunity to shield some of your body  from the drag.

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk