News:

Protect your dainty digits. Get a good pair of riding gloves cheap Right Here

Main Menu

Chemistry question: amorphous ammonium silicate?

Started by Caffeine, June 13, 2010, 04:02:05 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Caffeine

So...we have this stuff at work : http://spillmagic.com/ie/index.html    It's basically absorbent powder for cleaning up spills.   Looks like the main chemical ingredient is amorphous ammonium silicate.

I was reading the fine print (I get bored at work sometimes) and the label warns not to use it on hydrofluoric acid.

I've looked around...I have no idea what hydrofluoric acid is, or what it might even be a component of.   Assuming I ever find a container of hydrofluoric acid laying around at work, what fun (and potentially evil) things can I expect if the two get mixed together?
On those days when life is a little too much and nothing seems to be going right, I pause for a moment to ponder the wise last words of my grandfather:  "I wonder where the mother bear is?"

luohanfan

:icon_eek:  You might not want to do that..
Hydrofluoric acid (HF) is a solution  of hydrogen fluoride in water. While it is extremely corrosive and difficult to handle, in the technical sense, it is a weak acid.
Hydrogen fluoride, often in the aqueous form as hydrofluoric acid
The danger in handling hydrofluoric acid is extreme, as skin saturation with the acid in areas of only 25 square inches (160 cm2) may be relatively painless, yet ultimately fatal.
High concentrations of hydrofluoric acid and hydrogen fluoride gas will also quickly destroy the corneas of the eyes.
Hydrofluoric acid is an extremely corrosive liquid and is a contact poison. It should be handled with extreme care, beyond that accorded to other mineral acids.
Owing to its low dissociation constant, HF penetrates tissue more quickly than typical acids. Because of the ability of hydrofluoric acid to penetrate tissue, poisoning can occur readily through exposure of skin or eyes, or when inhaled or swallowed. Symptoms of exposure to hydrofluoric acid may not be immediately evident. HF interferes with nerve function, meaning that burns may not initially be painful. Accidental exposures can go unnoticed, delaying treatment and increasing the extent and seriousness of the injury.

Once absorbed into blood through the skin, it reacts with blood calcium and may cause cardiac arrest. Burns with areas larger than 25 square inches (160 cm2) have the potential to cause serious systemic toxicity from interference with blood and tissue calcium levels. In the body, hydrofluoric acid reacts with the ubiquitous biologically important ions Ca2+ and Mg2+. Formation of insoluble calcium fluoride is proposed as the etiology for both precipitous fall in serum calcium and the severe pain associated with tissue toxicity. In some cases, exposures can lead to hypocalcemia. Thus, hydrofluoric acid exposure is often treated with calcium gluconate, a source of Ca2+ that sequesters the fluoride ions. HF chemical burns can be treated with a water wash and 2.5% calcium gluconate gel or special rinsing solutions. However, because it is absorbed, medical treatment is necessary, rinsing off is not enough. In some cases, amputation may be required.

:o

Caffeine

On those days when life is a little too much and nothing seems to be going right, I pause for a moment to ponder the wise last words of my grandfather:  "I wonder where the mother bear is?"

Elijafir

Ah, so you should wear a full hazmat suit and prepare yourself for a long-term prison sentence if you do this with any people around.  Basically what will happen is the hydrochloric acid will react with the ammonia and form a toxic cloud of ammonium chloride gas.  While Ammonium Chloride has many uses in our society.. in it's gaseous form it will begin by stinging your eyes and destroying your sense of smell.  It wont be long before the inhalation of these gases kill you.  For your sake and the sake of the people around you I hope you never find any hydrochloric acid.  Mixing bases and acids almost always produces some type of gas (E.G. making a "volcano" out of baking soda and vinegar.. relatively harmless, most of us did this as children.)  The stronger the bases/acids get the more devastating the results.. (Poison Gas clouds, Explosions, Etc.)
1995 GS500ES - Love it!

spc

Elija:  HydroFLUORIC not hydrochloric.  Not gonna get an ammonia-chlorine cloud out of that.

I *think* Hydrofluoric acid and ammonia react by vaporizing and then crystallizing.

mister

Quote from: Caffeine on June 13, 2010, 04:02:05 AM
So...we have this stuff at work : http://spillmagic.com/ie/index.html    It's basically absorbent powder for cleaning up spills.   Looks like the main chemical ingredient is amorphous ammonium silicate.

I was reading the fine print (I get bored at work sometimes) and the label warns not to use it on hydrofluoric acid.

I've looked around...I have no idea what hydrofluoric acid is, or what it might even be a component of.   Assuming I ever find a container of hydrofluoric acid laying around at work, what fun (and potentially evil) things can I expect if the two get mixed together?

This is covered in the Site Induction for oil refinery plants - it is used there in the refining process. As you can see by luoanfan's provided info, it's particularly Nasty stuff.

During the induction, the guy speaking said it would dissolve your bones. So in all likelihood, a spill on your hand could result in amputating your arm to keep it out of the rest of your body! Of course, he may have been exaggerating to make us understand how truly dangerous the stuff is. Whether he was or not, we all got the message... Hydrofluoric Acid is some hideous stuff and you don't want ANY on you.

Michael
GS Picture Game - Lists of Completed Challenges & Current Challenge http://tinyurl.com/GS500PictureGame and http://tinyurl.com/GS500PictureGameList2

GS500 Round Aust Relay http://tinyurl.com/GS500RoundAustRelay

spc

Yeah Hydroflouric acid alone is pretty nasty, no real immediate symptoms, but it doesn't take much exposure to be fatal, something like 25sq inches.

Again, pretty sure that the reaction is vaporisation then crystallization.....like after you've inhaled the fumes.  That could be a little problem.

Elijafir

Whoops my bad.
http://www.fap.pdx.edu/safety/hydrofluoric_acid/
Hydrofluoric Acid reacts with silica to produce silicon tetrafluoride, a toxic gas.
http://www.orcbs.msu.edu/msds/LINDE_MSDS/pdf/061.pdf
Symptoms include lacrymation, cough, labored breathing and excessive salivary and sputum formation.
Excessive irritation of the lungs causes acute pneumonitis and pulmonary edema which could be fatal.

Sorry I read the initial post wrong.
1995 GS500ES - Love it!

The Buddha

Yes HF - very innocously named chemically ... will etch glass. Yes, that stuff that is impervious to any chemical ... will get eaten by it.

By contrast HCl - hydrochloric acid which when used 100% will slowly etch steel, rather quickly etch aluminum and it will essentially eat and remove rust rapidly ...

You have a HF spill, you got much worse problems than just absorbing it I'd say.

Cool.
Buddha.
-----------------------------------------------------------------
I run a business based on other people's junk.
-----------------------------------------------------------------

utgunslinger13

I work for a haz waste chemical disposal company, and HF is some DANGEROUS STUFF.  I've seen pictures where a few DROPS have hit skin and their arms swell up and have to be amputated from the shoulder down.  That crap can eat your bones, and I believe turns to Cyanide in your bloodstream!  Our drivers have to have specific training to even drive the truck if thats loaded, even though the waste generators are responsible for handling the drums.
Check out my current project build:

http://gstwins.com/gsboard/index.php?topic=41982.0

ohgood

and to think we watched trainloads of the stuff a few weeks ago going through the middle of our fair city. no special flagging, no bright right/yellow flashing lights, just the big HF on the side, and some really big words next to it.

interesting how stuff is completely 'safe' to transport, but deadly once it reaches the destination. hmmm.

nice info her guys/gals.

tt_four: "and believe me, BMW motorcycles are 50% metal, rubber and plastic, and 50% useless

yamahonkawazuki

Damn so essentially handling unstable nitroglycerin is in a sense safer than the HF acid Eh? this all of it is geekese for KIDS DONT TRY THIS AT HOME :thumb:
Jan 14 2010 0310 I miss you mom
Vielen dank Patrick. Vielen dank
".
A proud Mormon
"if you come in with the bottom of your cast black,
neither one of us will be happy"- Alan Silverman MD

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk