How To:Turn Signal Flasher Upgrade:No/Slow/Fast/LED Flashing Fix

Started by ben2go, June 26, 2008, 04:28:22 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

ben2go

So here's the deal.I upgraded to a modern brighter signals and my signals wouldn't flash.They would come on and not flash.So I found an electronic flasher that will work with most all lights.The electronic relay doesn't depend on the wattage of the lights to make it work.Therefore it doesn't mater if it's LED or higher watt bulbs like is in my signals.Mine are not rated much higher than the stock signals but it hangs up the flasher relay.

Tools
10mm wrench
phillips screw driver
Dielectric grease

Parts
EL-12 Electronic Flasher Relay
Wire tie

Total cost $12

1st-I removed the side panel and located the flasher relay.

2nd-I went though the signal wiring and cleaned all the connectors.Most had turned green with corrosion.I used 2 table spoons of baking soda to a half cup warm water,and a tooth brush to clean the terminals.When they dried I used dielectric grease on the connections.

3rd-Got the new signal flasher.I buy so much from my local privately owned NAPA,that they will deliver parts to me free.I'm soooooo lucky.

The thing I like about the new flasher is it's clear cover.I can see if it ever fails.Unless it's inside the componets.Plus,it's just cool to see how it works.

4th-I removed the old one.It simply slides off and the connector pulls off.

5th-I installed the new one.It is round and doesn't have the hanger like the original one.I used a simple plastic wire tie.If the rubber mount came off with the original one,put it back on.I simply snugged down the wire tie.To tight and it will crack the relay cover.

To sum it all up.If your wiring is correct,your signal lights will not flash properly,try an upgrade.There are wiring diagrams on the Wiki for almost every year bike.
PICS are GONE never TO return.

bucks1605

Nice how-to, I'm sure this will help lots of people.

I guess I got lucky with my signals, they worked perfectly without a problem.
SV1000K3 Bought 03/17/09
1996 GS500E Sold 03/03/09

SIKDMAX

LOL, I just went over this in my thread last week.  EL12 didnt work for me, or many others here. 
1999 GS500E - Corbin Seat, Bar End Mirrors, K&N Lunchbox, Vance & Hines Exhaust, Carb Magic by Buddah, Progressive Front Springs w/ 15W,  EBC Front Pads, LED Front/Rear Signals, 15T Front JT Sprocket.

NEED:  Katana Rear Shock, OEM Rear Pads, New Chain!

ben2go

Quote from: SIKDMAX on June 26, 2008, 04:42:18 PM
LOL, I just went over this in my thread last week.  EL12 didnt work for me, or many others here. 

:dunno_white:

I have heard it both ways some swear by them, some swear at them.  :laugh:

starwalt

Nice write up Ben.  :thumb:

Now I am going to have to buy one of those flashers and do a vivisection on it to see what makes it tick...or in this case flash - or not flash as in SIKDMAX's case.

I hate not knowing why an electrical gadget gives bliss and grief simultaneously.

On the other hand you used filament lamps rather than LEDs. NAPA here I come...
-=Doug......   IT ≠ IQ.

God save us from LED turn signal mods!

Get an Ebay GS value  HERE.

1990 GS running, 1990 GS work-in-progress, 1990 basket case.
The trend here is entropy

SIKDMAX

Im actually using the EL12 flasher now - but it wouldnt work for me for all 4 LEDs.  Well, neither would the fancy $35 electronic flasher either, so who knows.  Im using the EL12 with 1 set of regular filament turn signals in rear and LEDs in front. 
1999 GS500E - Corbin Seat, Bar End Mirrors, K&N Lunchbox, Vance & Hines Exhaust, Carb Magic by Buddah, Progressive Front Springs w/ 15W,  EBC Front Pads, LED Front/Rear Signals, 15T Front JT Sprocket.

NEED:  Katana Rear Shock, OEM Rear Pads, New Chain!

dgyver

I have been using Tridon EL-12 relays for 6+ years on several bikes with after market signals and integrated tail light... never any problems... but then I do not waste my time with LED's.
Common sense in not very common.

ben2go

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk