News:

Need a manual?  Buy a Haynes manual Here

Main Menu

Help Me Find This Movie! [PLEASE]

Started by Kijona, April 19, 2016, 04:38:02 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Kijona

This has been driving me absolutely insane for the last week and a half. I can distinctly recall scenes from the movie, but none of the actors or the name of the movie. There's nothing in any particular order here, but I'm doing my best to start from what I remember as being towards the beginning. Spoiler alert for anyone that hasn't seen the movie. The movie can be summed up as "Poor white guy (main character) is a decent bare-knuckle fighter. He's fighting for money and gets involved with some really bad people. People die at the hands of a white/trailer-trash drug dealer and fight organizer."

Here's some more:

Movie takes place in a mining/industrial-type town. I'm not entirely sure, but I believe it's supposed be in/around Kentucky or another mountainous state.

I believe the movie starts off with the main character ("MC" for short, younger guy, Caucasian, small to medium build) in an alley fighting an African American guy. It's bare-knuckle and they're all gathered around jeering and whatnot. MC gets beat up pretty badly.

Later on, MC has a meeting with someone who is like a father figure ("FF" for short) to him. We learn that MC is fighting for money and wants FF to set up a fight with this really bad guy ("RBG" for short). RBG is a drug dealer and runs illegal fights up in the "hills" or "mountains". FF warns MC repeatedly about RBG and MC pressures FF about the fight.

Somewhere, perhaps in a discussion with FF, we learn that MC doesn't want to be a coal miner/steel worker/whatever like his father. He is persistent about fighting for money.

Eventually FF takes MC to meet RBG. FF drives him up into the mountains/hills. I would have SWORN that RBG was played by Michael Rooker (Merle Dixon TWD), but I couldn't find the title in his IMDb. For what it's worth, RBG is a lot like Merle Dixon...very white/trailer trash, violent, overall "bad". The first time MC meets RBG they're in a barn or shed and RBG tries to intimidate MC. MC doesn't go for it and RBG agrees to let him fight. MC is supposed to take a fall - of course he doesn't.

After MC fails to go down in the fight, RBG goes after him and of course FF as well. There's a scene where RBG and his cronies stop FF in his car (at night) and FF is on the phone with someone else or dialed the phone or something like that. Of course RBG kills (shoots) FF.

There's another character in the movie who I thought was played by Robert Duvall. Older guy, has some sort of connection with FF. There's several scenes where they're meeting in his office, which was in the back of a bar or pool hall or something like that. I seem to recall most of everything being that old 70's green color, possibly with wood panel walls. This guy, I'm pretty sure, also ends up dead at the hands of RBG.

Anyway, hopefully somebody knows this movie because it's driving me insane.

marcusk

We could tell you but that will violate the first rule of movie club.   ;)

Kijona

Quote from: marcusk on April 19, 2016, 05:19:37 AM
We could tell you but that will violate the first rule of movie club.   ;)

Most definitely not Fight Club. :)

Janx101

Ummm. .. "seeing as the VP is such a VIP maybe we should keep the PC on the QT or he might end up MIA and we would all get put out on KP" ... ;)

ShowBizWolf

LOL Janxy  :laugh:

Maybe it's The Fighter?

Do you remember when you saw this film... like was it years and years ago or was it kinda recently ?
Superbike bars, '04 GSXR headlight & cowl, DRZ signals, 1/2" fork brace, 'Busa fender, stainless exhaust & brake lines, belly pan, LED dash & brake bulbs, 140/80 rear hoop, F tail lens, SV650 shock, Bandit400 hugger, aluminum heel guards & pegs, fork preload adjusters, .75 SonicSprings, heated grips

Iarn

Karate Kid. Mister Miyagi doesn't agree with fighting for sport, but will acquiesce.

Kijona

Quote from: ShowBizWolf on April 19, 2016, 05:07:07 PM
LOL Janxy  :laugh:

Maybe it's The Fighter?

Do you remember when you saw this film... like was it years and years ago or was it kinda recently ?

It was recently. I saw it on Netflix. Seems like it was a recent movie but I'm not entirely sure. Could've been 10yrs old.

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk