Need a manual?  Buy a Haynes manual Here

Main Menu

[POST HAS BEEN REMOVED BY USER]

Started by Ourea, July 15, 2011, 12:55:33 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Ourea

crzydood17

how is a slip on and a k&n putting the R back in? you might wanna ya know... throw some aluminum pistons in, forged or ti rods, ti valves, balance and blueprint the entire bottom end, take out the counter shaft, re design the head flow a bit maybe just a port job and a 3 angle valve job, grind your cams, upgrade ignition, better springs for 13k+ rpm, cryo the tranny while your at it, put some coatings on everything, upgrade the oil cooler, cryo and shot peen your crank, new clutch from a SV (follow ben2go's guide). At this point you might be maxing out the small carbs, take it to the next level and go EFI with a full MPFI system. If you do all these things or even half of them... you might be able to say you have a R... till then its a GS and treat it as such... its not a race bike... Its about as slow as a mildly tuned honda... guess you could always just throw some N2O on it and call it a day...
2004 GS500F (Sold)
2001 GS500 (being torn apart)
1992 GS500E (being rebuilt)

Twisted

Quote from: crzydood17 on July 15, 2011, 02:55:17 AM
how is a slip on and a k&n putting the R back in? you might wanna ya know... throw some aluminum pistons in, forged or ti rods, ti valves, balance and blueprint the entire bottom end, take out the counter shaft, re design the head flow a bit maybe just a port job and a 3 angle valve job, grind your cams, upgrade ignition, better springs for 13k+ rpm, cryo the tranny while your at it, put some coatings on everything, upgrade the oil cooler, cryo and shot peen your crank, new clutch from a SV (follow ben2go's guide). At this point you might be maxing out the small carbs, take it to the next level and go EFI with a full MPFI system. If you do all these things or even half of them... you might be able to say you have a R... till then its a GS and treat it as such... its not a race bike... Its about as slow as a mildly tuned honda... guess you could always just throw some N2O on it and call it a day...

And where's your project?

xunedeinx

First thing id do before anything is suspension.

Get your springs front and rear out of the way, FE swap if your going that route, lowering links if you want them, the new chain and sprockets and tires, upgrade the brake pads and rotors if your going to while the tires are off.

Once its rolling correct, start fiddling with everything.

No use having a vehicle with an exhaust and better intake if its mushy like a marshmellow and slides sideways cause the tires are so shot.

Big Rich

Little word of advice: skip the clubmans. They always seem like a good idea but clip ons work so much better. If you get chrome bars, the chrome has to be sandblasted off before paint can stick to them. Check out the Tarozzi high rise clip ons here:

http://www.fastfromthepast.com/servlet/the-Clip-dsh-ons/Categories

The only other thing I'll add is to rejet the carbs yourself. It's a LOT easier than what you may think and you'll know it's done right.
83 GR650 (riding / rolling project)

It's opener there in the wide open air...

Ourea

xunedeinx

we have 37mm fork tubes, those are 50mm.

Nope.

Ourea

xunedeinx

They'll work.

Ask buddha though, they may have a vibration issue.

werase643

those actually look pretty decent.  and for 40 bucks more you can convert to offset clip-ons....
for street, i'd consider the high rise and just set them lower....if you don't like position you have the option to raise them a bit
want Iain's money to support my butt in kens shop

Ourea

Unsane

I recently changed the chain on mine with an RK - it seems to be fine. If you are gonna do sprockets (and want some more pep) I would definitely suggest going down a tooth or two on the front - depending on the type of riding you will be doing. I don't mind helping you with the jets and clip-ons... have been looking at the fastfromthepast clip-ons myself!

Nice work having a sarcastic dig at one of the new members crzydood17 - you really showed him.
Congratulations, the d!ck of the day award has been handed back to you mate  :thumb:

2001 Trek 6kw Electric Mountain Bike
2003 Sachs Madass
2004 Suzuki GS500F
2011 Kawasaki ZX10R
2000 Suzuki TL1000R

Big Rich

Quote from: Ourea on July 15, 2011, 09:57:04 PM

Sold (I ended up getting the 70mm high-rise, you're right that if I dont like the position I can set them lower).
http://www.fastfromthepast.com/servlet/the-742/Clip-dsh-on-High-Rise-Handlebars/Detail

Can anyone explain how to get them under the plates? otherwise Im going to have to go to the shop for this one.

Undo the top clamp (around the top of the forks and the steering stem - I think it's 4 bolts?) after getting everything else out of the way. Tank, handle bars, maybe unbolt the instrument cluster, yada yada yada. It's really not hard to do since your controls are coming off the bars anyway. Are you getting new grips? If so, now is the time to replace them.

joelmath

Have you done all that stuff, dood?? Let's see your piece since you're such an expert.  :bs:

alyoopz

Hey!  Mine's already got aluminum pistons!  :  )   Al

alyoopz

My cams came ground, too!  I'm gettin' there!  :  )
Al

crzydood17

Quote from: joelmath on July 16, 2011, 03:32:31 PM

Have you done all that stuff, dood?? Let's see your piece since you're such an expert.  :bs:

nope and dont plan to, my bike is a GS... it will stay a GS, it will not be raced it wont be abused and it will be driven 30 miles to work and back, When I am ready for a R i will grab a GSX750R... till then I ride a commuter standard bike. Sadly no matter how fast it looks or sounds... Its still a 35 WHP bike that does 0-60 in 7ish seconds and revs to 10500ish... This might as well be a guy with a honda going IM GUNNA PUT A INTAKE AND A EXHAUST ON MY CAR AND CALL IT A TYPE R! o god... thats exactly what it is...  :icon_rolleyes:

there was never a R to put back in... IF he had said "My GS500 build project" totaly different story... If i remember right the last 2 people to legitimately put the X and the R into a GS500 added 2 cylinders and 100CC and made 2 monsters o and honda power lol!
2004 GS500F (Sold)
2001 GS500 (being torn apart)
1992 GS500E (being rebuilt)

cbrfxr67

Is it just me, or are there no pics in this whole thread,........ :dunno_black:
"Its something you take apart in 2-3 days and takes 10 years to go back together."
-buddha

xunedeinx

Big Rich

Geez Crzydood, don't get all bent out of shape about it. So what if he wants to add an R to the name? All it stands for is "racing"- which he can do between stop signs against a car, on the highway against a Ninja 250, or even another GS. Do you own a copy right on the letter R? Somehow I doubt it. It's his bike, his project, his title, period.

The shot peened rods, 4 valves per cylinder, etc, etc, blah blah blah are commonly given to the X's (GSX-R) according to Wikipedia since Suzuki doesn't specify what each letter really means. And if you want to follow Wiki's logic, the X stands for "experimental"- something that major manufacturers don't do any more. All the production bikes are past the experiment phase.

You say potato, I say french fries.

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk