News:

Need a manual?  Buy a Haynes manual Here

Main Menu

MD Motorcycle Safety Inspection -edit

Started by nakedGS, September 30, 2009, 02:20:27 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

nakedGS

Huzzah! Today my bike passed the State of Maryland Motorcycle Safety Inspection. The mechanic said that my little GS was "in the best shape of any bike as old as 1992 thats he's seen in a long time".

In case you are a Maryland resident and are wondering what they look for in a motorcycle inspection, I scanned the checklist he provided me and posted it here. Also, apparently my Third-Eye barends are illegal in Maryland, and the mirrors must mount inside the handgrips and be above the handlebar.  >:(  He passed me anyway because I told him I still had the stock ones, which is true, but the jury is still out on whether I'll put them back on.  Maybe I'll put the OEM mirrors back on until I get some smaller ones that still mount to the stock locations (shrug).

Good info toward the bottom on the state requirements for brake pad thickness - maybe they got that from the service manual?

1992 GS500E- K&N, rejet, fenderectomy, Buell turn signals, mirrors, sexy-fine black rims.

O.C.D.

SO glad I don't have to worry about that stuff anymore as Colorado dropped that a few years ago.

Glad that you passed though.  I have the exact same bike and like you, I can claim that it is rare in that condition.
'92-'09 Suzati
http://gstwins.com/gsboard/index.php?topic=50448.0

Quote from: Ugluk on June 24, 2010, 09:48:08 AM
The mascot of the GS500.. The creature that's got the biggest ugliest a$$ of them all.
A wombat. It's got a big ugly a$$ too.

Porkchop

Great! :thumb:

We'll see you around the beltway.

-Porkchop
- Porkchop

bassmechanicsz

wow that is pretty extreme for an inspection.  In NJ all they check is blinkers, brake lights, headlight hi/lo and that when you let go of the throttle it returns back to idle.
K&N Lunchbox, Jardine Full Exhaust, 15T Front Sprocket, 40T Rear Sprocket, Shock Racing LED Mirrors, LED front blinker, LED Integrated Taillight, Additional LED rear blinkers, Scorpion sealed Battery, NGK Iridium Spark Plugs, Cafeboy seat cowl (in process of painting)

kml.krk

wow! this is one long list.
Here in NY they check if your brake light and horn work. If they are in a good mood they would push on the bars to check front suspension...
that's it.
it may be convenient but CRAZY as hell.
Yellow 2004: K&N Lunchbox, Leo Vince SBK, 2005 GSXR Turn Signals, 20/65/147.5, 15T front sprocket, Progressive Springs etc...

"Bikes get you through times of no money better than money gets you through times of no bikes." - Phineas

dohabee

lol I went in with no mirrors or blinkers and they weren't going to pass me.

I said I always look before I change lanes and use hand signals so I don't need them.

They passed me.

nakedGS

QuoteI said I always look before I change lanes and use hand signals so I don't need them.

They passed me.

Haha, thats awesome. Living in Maryland can be pretty tough, especially if you are into old cars and motorcycles. They are VERY strict here with their laws on titles and registration. I read about a guy in DC who actually got ARRESTED for having an expired registration. Hopefully it wasn't accurate. Gun laws are strict too, but at least its possible to own them.
1992 GS500E- K&N, rejet, fenderectomy, Buell turn signals, mirrors, sexy-fine black rims.

BaltimoreGS

The messed up part about Maryland is that after a vehicle passes this rigorous inspection it never has to be re-inspected as long as you keep your registration current.  I see plenty of cars pass through the dealership I work for that should not be on the road.  Makes me homesick for PA where at least you can assume the cars around you have the brakes and tires checked once a year. 

And if a vehicle is 20 years old in Maryland you can slap "historic" tags on with no safety inspection!  I have to admit guilt on that one though, my '89 GS's front rotor was below minimum spec when I slapped the historic tags on it   :oops:

-Jessie

ver4

93 GS500 Stock - Sold
04 Yamaha FZ6

black and silver twin

Here in Ohio we have no inspections.  :woohoo: Im glad because neither my car nor my bike would pass. Both run awesome and every thing works but neither is emissions legal, no cats, egr, or stock pcm on my car. and no PAIR valve plus much more fuel on my bike. I have gotten pulled over for "NOISE POLLUTION" in my car though, so I put a pair of cherry bomb mufflers on my car (had straight pipes), its still very loud but technically legal.  :cheers: plus now I can have conversations while driving when I put the seats in. (I autocross the car a lot and its a pain to remove the interior every time so I drive it gutted)
07 black GS500F; fenderectomy, NGK DPR9EIX-9 plugs, 15T sprocket, Jardine exhaust, K&N lunchbox, 20-62.5-152.5 jets 1 washer, timing advance 6*, flushmount signals,Tommaselli clipons over tree, sv650 throttle, 20w forkoil, sport demon tires, Buddha fork brace, Goodridge SS lines, double bubble

nakedGS

QuoteIs it 16 years for historic tags?

Nah, I'm pretty sure its 20, I looked into it but my GS didn't qualify for another coupla years.

BaltimoreGS

Quote from: ver4 on October 01, 2009, 07:47:41 AM
Is it 16 years for historic tags?

No, it's 20.  It used to be 25 but they changed that 3 years ago.  Currently '89 and older vehicles qualify.  That's one of the reasons I bought that '89 last December, a month later it was historic.  Not so much for the fact there is no inspection but it is $50 for 2 years registration vs. $98 for regular motorcycle tags.

-Jessie

black and silver twin

wow 89 and older is historical? That means my first 4 cars and first 2 bikes are history.

P.S. I am 23 years old. so am I historical?  :laugh:  :D  :icon_lol:
07 black GS500F; fenderectomy, NGK DPR9EIX-9 plugs, 15T sprocket, Jardine exhaust, K&N lunchbox, 20-62.5-152.5 jets 1 washer, timing advance 6*, flushmount signals,Tommaselli clipons over tree, sv650 throttle, 20w forkoil, sport demon tires, Buddha fork brace, Goodridge SS lines, double bubble

redhawkdancing

Okay...it's been fun, but 30 day tag is running out soon. Any good places for inspection in MD in the NorthWest Baltimore county area? What would be a fair price range?

ver4

Quote from: redhawkdancing on May 13, 2010, 06:25:56 PM
Okay...it's been fun, but 30 day tag is running out soon. Any good places for inspection in MD in the NorthWest Baltimore county area? What would be a fair price range?
Like $30 to 50.  Just take it to a garage that does MD inspections and you should be good to go.
93 GS500 Stock - Sold
04 Yamaha FZ6

007brendan

In Delaware, they just checked lights, signals, and horn.  And it's only $20 a year for registration.  For newer vehicles, you can register it for like 5 years before you have to go back and re-register it.  When I moved to California, it  cost me more than twice as much to register my truck for 1 year as it did for 5 in Delaware!!! 
"Good judgement comes from experience. Experience comes from bad judgement."

Adfalchius

When Jessie sold his Katana to a friend they knew that one out of three rotors was below specs (they measured it).  The friend took it to Pete's Cycle for inspection (against advice) where they failed all three rotors.  Moral of the story: consider taking it to a place that does not repair motorcycles- they may fail things just to be able to sell you parts...or maybe such place would be more likely to catch something that might be dangerous or get worse in the long run since they may have more experience?  :dunno_black:
1981 Honda CM200t
1995 Suzuki GS500E
2007 Suzuki DR200se

Junkie

Odd that they're required to be on top, seeing as the new Harley Forty Eight has them mounted under the bars.

Elijafir

I gotta say.. WOW.   That is all over the top. WAY over the top. Haha..  In Arizona the ONLY time you have to get inspected is if you are applying for a title on a vehicle from out of state.  You have to have working lights/signals and a mirror.   If you live in a major city (Tucson, Phoenix) and your car is more than ~5 years old you have to have a yearly emissions test ($12.)    I think the people would revolt here if we had to have inspections like that all the time!  Hell, you can get ATVs street legal here if they have signals and a mirror.  That includes Side-by-sides, sand rails, dune buggies, golf carts, you name it.  If it has wheels, an engine, lights, signals, and a mirror... you pretty much can get it street legal here.. Except 2 stroke engines unless they fall into the "Grandfather" category (e.g. Old Ninja 2 strokes, etc.)

Anyway.. motorcycles aren't required to do emissions here either.

1995 GS500ES - Love it!

johnn

The people's republic of Maryland is indeed a pain. Bought my bike new so I avoided that hassle. Our "wonderful" state recently introduced speeding cameras on top of the many red light cameras. At least motorcycles don't have to get emmissions tested every two year like cars and trucks.

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk