News:

Registration Issues: email manjul.bose at gmail for support - seems there is a issue that we're still trying to fix

Main Menu

What have you done for your bike today????

Started by qwiky, July 29, 2010, 07:10:38 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

mr72

Quote from: Watcher on July 29, 2019, 07:52:56 PM
Quote from: mr72 on July 29, 2019, 08:23:35 AM
I'm also hoping this will improve fuel mileage, since it's pretty dismal in the Bonneville.

What are you averaging?

About 41-43. And that's with pretty sedate riding. EDIT: I just filled up today. My math says it was about 37mpg. That's unacceptable. I rode about 30 miles on the re-sync'd bike, maybe it's better next tank. I have gotten as high as 43 before and seem to hover around 41 most of the time.

I'll probably do a plug check and see if they are quite black as I suspect they will be. If so I might go ahead and drop my modified map on it. I have a fuel map that keeps the current mapping above about 4K rpm but is about 5% leaner below 4K so I can potentially get better mpg while cruising without sacrificing high rpm power or risking pinging. The map I am running was made to run on E85 (15% ethanol) UK-spec fuel with nearly identical mods that I have to my bike but with 10% ethanol fuel it runs richer.

Quotey new Monster actually displays averages on the dash, I'm averaging 46.6 mpg right now...
Adding yet another ~45 mpg bike to my list, along with basically every other one I've ever owned.
Not sure who originally mentioned the theory, someone on here, that basically any vehicle that's the same weight and the same size aerodynamically will get the same gas mileage at "cruising speed" regardless of displacement.

That was probably me. And I guess it would make sense that I get slightly worse mpg than you given a more upright and heavier bike. But Triumph is trying to prove my theory wrong suggesting the WC 900s get 60mpg. Maybe that's with no rider. And my dad gets 50 mpg in his shadow 750 which is similar weight to my Triumph but maybe the big one screen and lower riding position is the explanation. Anyway I'd be pretty happy to get 45 and I think it should be possible, maybe the slight adjustment to the TB balance will get it closer.

My GS gets over 50 consistently but I'm running ethanol free fuel in it. I think that's equivalent to 45 with e10.

mr72

Quote from: Oscar_Muffin on July 30, 2019, 04:12:30 AM
Yesterday I fixed an improperly assembled carburettor, Re-timed a badly timed exhaust camshaft, peeled off a rubber gasket that somebody stuck down it sealant and struggled to remove a tachometer drive gear from the head that was glued in with JBweld.

You're winning this contest. 👍

Oscar_Muffin

You're winning this contest. 👍

Well, I did buy a GS because they're so easy to work on :) makes a difference coming from a modern(ish) Honda that has coolant and emissions pipes and wiring covering basically everything. I think I've un-done all the previous owners "Fixes" now. Just waiting on spares.

GSJash

Rode 100km or so today. 5-6 km on dirt to this helicopter pad.

dougdoberman

Mostly yesterday, with just bleeding the rear and buttoning it up today. 

Michelin Pilot Streets.  Spiegler stainless brake lines.  EBC HH pads.  Fork gaiters.  chuck81 fork brace.  SW Motech engine guards.  Renntec luggage rack.

I want to like that rack a lot more than I do. I know I shouldn't care as this bike is ostensibly just my commuter, but I can't get past the aesthetics. Combine the fact that it's ... not pretty ... with the fact that it really can't hold much of a bag and I think I'm probably gonna just pull it offa there and put the stock grab handle back on. I've been wanting to pick up some new sport saddlebags, so this'll be the incentive.

If you can't be a good example, at least try to be a horrible reminder.

Watcher

Odd that they kind of blocked the storage space with the grab handle, seems a poor design.
"The point of a journey is not to arrive..."

-Neil Peart

mr72

Well, I got my Triumph inspected, and filled it with gas. My post TB-sync fuel economy was right at 43 mpg. I can live with that!  I'd say the TB sync was a success.

Watcher

This:

Probably lost somewhere around 10 pounds all said and done and now it sounds like a proper Ducati, lol!

Just need some clean looking fasteners to plug the threads for the passenger peg hangers, not sure if I should go with something black or stainless.
Or set-screw or button-head.

Might depend on what the local hardware store has available, a wide button-head would be ideal, otherwise I'll probably just go with a set-screw.

-Neil Peart

Oscar_Muffin

Today I cleaned and re-greased both my brake calipers to stop squeaking (And probably got quite high on brake cleaner). Also discovered that my front caliper needs a re-build as the dust seals are trying to escape.

Watcher

Took the Monster in for the break-in service.

They gave me a Genuine G400C as a loaner.  It's cute, but quite underpowered.
For less than $6k it would make an ok commuter, but a TU250X would be much better and I might even say is a quicker bike.
The G400 might have a higher top speed but it's totally gutless in town.

... Or maybe I'm just not used to it after riding my 110hp Monster around.

... But no, I do the MSF classes and the TU250X is in our fleet, it's a small bike but doesn't feel underpowered, it just feels like a small bike.
And I've ridden a DRZ400, it's peppy.  This bike, kind of a disappointment, even for a Chinese machine.

-Neil Peart

Bluesmudge

Watcher, you really never ride with a passenger?

Watcher

Quote from: Bluesmudge on August 09, 2019, 03:44:46 PM
Watcher, you really never ride with a passenger?

I've maybe done it three times in my almost 10 years of riding.
So, no.  Not really.
If need arises I can put the pegs back on in less than 5 minutes.

Here's a pic of that Genuine if anyone is curious.

-Neil Peart

mr72

Too bad what you say about the genuine 400c. Those look fantastic and spec sheet says they should be on par with a sr400 but with electric start and $2k lower price. But if it's really $6k then besides having something really light and easy to handle, it might be hard to recommend not springing for a RE 650 instead.

mr72

I actually rode my GS today. Wow that's different. It feels so top heavy and slightly unstable. But quite an enjoyable change pace!

Watcher

Quote from: mr72 on August 10, 2019, 05:17:45 AM
Too bad what you say about the genuine 400c. Those look fantastic and spec sheet says they should be on par with a sr400 but with electric start and $2k lower price. But if it's really $6k then besides having something really light and easy to handle, it might be hard to recommend not springing for a RE 650 instead.

Well, they told me that it was "less than $6k out the door."  Never looked up what MSRP is.

Spec sheet on Genuine's website said 26hp.  From what I can find the SR400 makes like 32.  Not a huge increase but it's there, and when you're dealing with small figures like that a 6hp gain is almost a 24% increase in power.
But a lot can change with gearing.  I'd have to ride an SR to say if it's peppier.
I'd almost guarantee that it is.

Almost forgot.
I had a bit of an adventure in fasteners trying to plug the holes from my passenger pegs.
Initially I opted for some black alloy set-screws, but there were two problems here:
First was I bought them too short and they don't sit flush with the end of the hole.
Second was that while the forward mounts are a small round section welded to the frame, the rear mounts also function as a crossmember and so it's a hollow tube going from one side to the other.  I started screwing the set screw in, was waiting for it to get tight, it never did, then the screw fell into the tube to rattle around for eternity...

:technical:

I was able to get it out with some fadangling with a small piece of thin rod and the allen wrench, was able to sort of pincer the setscrew, lift it to the threads from the back, and unscrewed it.

Both of these issues could have been solved with some loctite, but I thought better of the situation and went back to the hardware store.  This time I bought some black alloy button-head screws and some stainless fender washers, capped the holes quite nicely and I really liked the black on stainless look.
But then it rained all day.  Instant rust on those black alloy screws.

Back to the hardware store again.  This time I had to go across town to get the same button head screws in stainless instead of alloy because the local shop doesn't stock them in that size, apparently (lame).

And here is the result:

Ugh, the bike is so dirty.  I'd like to give it a quick wipe down but it's supposed to rain again tonight so I'll probably just clean it off in the morning before I leave for work.

Still don't regret my choice, but damn matte black is hard to keep clean.  If it drizzles outside it seems like all the dirt in the air attracts to my motorcycle.  Likely it is just as bad regardless of finish, but the matte just shows it easier.

-Neil Peart

qcbaker

Cleaned and lubed my chain and adjusted chain slack yesterday :thumb:

RideShield

Installed a frame petcock kit because it was corroded and leaking.
'07 Suzuki GS500F

tobyd

Replaced the early model front caliper with the '97 onwards (tiny) tokiko model. Replaced the seals and dust guards and put a new stainless bleed nipple in.

Old caliper guides were a bit worn and it was clonking over bumps and things so caved when i saw a reasonably priced spare on ebay. Also fits my SV i think so might come in handy.

bolts from the old one are messed up and dont fit the new one so are on order but predictably m10 1.25 25mm flanged bolts only seem to be available in race spec so its getting rather pointless titanium ones that'll definitely add 30hp.

A while ago i switched the mains down from 125 to 120 and I think its lost a bit of top end so will switch back. After cleaning up the carb for the millionth time seem to have it all running nicely except for some hesitation pulling away from idle. idles nicely and will pull from 2krpm in 3rd (with only minor protest) so I think the mixture is alright. not sure if the idle speed is too low or the timing is slightly advanced. is fine if you rev it a bit before setting off. GS is on backup duty these days though.

Meukowi

nothing.

Lähetetty minun LM-G710 laitteesta Tapatalkilla

Meukowi

shortened exhaust, because..?? idk, wanted to do something.

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk