News:

The simplest way to help GStwin is to use this Amazon link to shop

Main Menu

DevilDesire's GS500

Started by DevilDesire, November 12, 2014, 02:18:14 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

DevilDesire

Hello, guys!

I decided to share with you the little modifications and changes overall done on my bike by me. It's not that much so far but I'm not planning on stopping any time soon! :)

So, as I bought the bike I changed it's oil, oil filter, spark plugs and filled it with 100 octane fuel so that it kind of "cleans up" from the higher octane. I now fill it with 95 because it runs rough with 100.
I then had the carbs cleaned and synced and that fixed a lot of issues like hanging idle, weird knocking and so on. Turned the mix screw 3 turns out and also upped the needles. Some time later I changed my forks' oil and seals and got a replacement rear tire.

A couple of days ago I changed the bike's brake fluid. The old fluid looked like a mixture of rusty water and unflushed toilet stuff..... Anyways, the stopping process is now a lot better.

I have no pictures of those things but I have some from today.

Anyway, today I bought new mirrors and removed some of the stickers and decals, I also put red rim lines.

My old right mirror had something rattling inside and it really buggered me. I also managed to break it while trying to open it up...

New mirrors:

For the stickers, as I bought the bike used it had some sort of advertising on it, under the tank's SUZUKI label. I didn't like it so I removed it.

Here is how it looks after I removed it. I also did this with the safety warning just above the gas cap.

Next removed decals were the rear fairings' ones. They came off really easy with a heat gun and then some spray like WD-40 for the glue that is left under them. Took me about 15 minutes in total.

Before:

After:

And here are some pictures from the rim lines. It is a real pain to put them straight... I couldn't do it perfect but still I like the result. Good thing I brought a friend to help me, I would have killed myself doing it alone... :D

I first cleaned the rims with that WD like spray and then oil remover (or so) and a clean cloth.

Then the torture began...

That's my friend doing the front rim:

And some more:

I really like how it reflects light:

Finished product:

I also intend to repaint the blue line on the tank in red but I didn't do it today because it seems to be clear coated and I was too tired... I bought red paint, clear coat and stuff tho. I will tape it, sand it and paint it while the tank is on the bike. If it turns out bad, I'll take off the tank and repaint it all in black and red. I also have some dents on the right side that need to be fixed.

I'll be changing chain & sprockets and brake pads next.

I'll also be ordering this small Puig windscreen:

And some time later: Lunchbox, rejet and an open exhaust. I have a question on the exhaust tho, I measured the pipe's diameter just before it gets to the can and it seems to be an ellipse with 42mm height and 47mm width, is that normal or it has been damaged? As far as I've heard it is supposed to be 45mm in diameter.

Thanks for your time, guys! I'll try my best to keep you updated on my progress! Please excuse my english but it's not my native language.  :cheers:
03' GS500
...searching in my pocket, finger through the sprocket... lalala :D

GS500Schultz

contrary to belief. Higher octane fuel will not "clean" your fuel system.
Higher octane actually has higher resistance to burning. Meaning it doesn't burn as hot as lower octane gas and reduces the chance of pre-ignition or knocking. 

If you want something to help clean your fuel system get seafoam or a fuel system cleaner.
You don't own a project bike..
The Project bike owns you!

DevilDesire

Quote from: GS500Schultz on November 12, 2014, 02:34:56 PM
Higher octane actually has higher resistance to burning. Meaning it doesn't burn as hot as lower octane gas and reduces the chance of pre-ignition or knocking. 

If you want something to help clean your fuel system get seafoam or a fuel system cleaner.

Well, it's OK now, it wasn't problematic anyway. The tank looks perfectly clean on the inside and I've had no fuel/clogging problems so far.  :)
03' GS500

J_Walker

Quote from: DevilDesire on November 12, 2014, 02:38:46 PM

Well, it's OK now, it wasn't problematic anyway. The tank looks perfectly clean on the inside and I've had no fuel/clogging problems so far.  :)

clean and clear fuel tank.. man you would hate to see the rust bucket the developed inside of mine..! gonna be a real PITA to get the thing cleaned and prepped for re-coating. Of course I'm going to use a thing of POR15. thinking about using red, just so I can see my gas a little easier.. Maybe install a little LED at the very bottom of the tank, that turns on when I open my gas cap. so I can be 100% sure, I ran out of fuel 5 miles from the next gas station...  8)
-Walker

DevilDesire

Quote from: J_Walker on November 12, 2014, 06:40:52 PM

clean and clear fuel tank.. man you would hate to see the rust bucket the developed inside of mine..! gonna be a real PITA to get the thing cleaned and prepped for re-coating. Of course I'm going to use a thing of POR15. thinking about using red, just so I can see my gas a little easier.. Maybe install a little LED at the very bottom of the tank, that turns on when I open my gas cap. so I can be 100% sure, I ran out of fuel 5 miles from the next gas station...  8)

I guess it will really be a pain in TA to clean that MF :D Won't that extra wiring on the tank be more like a problem? You better do it with a fast click bush so when you have to remove it just click and unplug the wires.
03' GS500

J_Walker

Quote from: DevilDesire on November 13, 2014, 10:32:34 AM
Quote from: J_Walker on November 12, 2014, 06:40:52 PM

I guess it will really be a pain in TA to clean that MF :D Won't that extra wiring on the tank be more like a problem? You better do it with a fast click bush so when you have to remove it just click and unplug the wires.

ahaha the joke is my old GS500 I ran out of gas a bunch of times... now I just keep a flashlight under all my seats or in my backpack. no need for in gastank lighting... I can see it now... "Das GS" instead of DasBusa.
-Walker

7thgear

1992 GS500E Blue, 1992 GS500E Black, 2003 Honda CG125.

My web: wanderersbook.blogspot.com

Janx101

Electrical current added into a fuel tank? Hmmmm?  ... ok I know that a fuel pump runs on electricity. .. but that's specially designed! And sealed! ..  how sure could a person be that the connection and wiring would never make a spark or something?..   interested in the idea though!

7thgear

Quote from: DevilDesire on November 12, 2014, 02:18:14 PM
Hello, guys!

And here are some pictures from the rim lines. It is a real pain to put them straight... I couldn't do it perfect but still I like the result. Good thing I brought a friend to help me, I would have killed myself doing it alone... :D

I first cleaned the rims with that WD like spray and then oil remover (or so) and a clean cloth.

That's pretty clean job. I too put the reflector on rims myself but your job is much cleaner  :thumb:
1992 GS500E Blue, 1992 GS500E Black, 2003 Honda CG125.

My web: wanderersbook.blogspot.com

DevilDesire

Quote from: 7thgear on November 20, 2014, 07:41:06 AM
Quote from: DevilDesire on November 12, 2014, 02:18:14 PM
Hello, guys!

That's pretty clean job. I too put the reflector on rims myself but your job is much cleaner  :thumb:

Thanks mate! I'll continue with a paint job on the tank and my girlfriend will draw some nice things that I'll later paint on the tail but that will probably happen next year because I hurt my thumb badly.  :D
03' GS500

DevilDesire

I got my new handlebar and front tire today! :)

I started removing the old bar and ofcourse at the last bit everything f%&ked up... the 2 damn bolts that hold the master cylinder got roundy round and cannot be removed... I took my drill but didn't have the appropriate drill thingy so ofcourse I broke one...

That's before I started... now everything hangs and is disconnected except for the cylinder...

I'll continue tomorrow or after new year's eve...

Happy holidays!

P.S: The tyre is a BT45 just like my rear, again I found it used with DOT 0713, it doesn't have as much thread as my rear tyre but is still better than the current front Sport Demon from 2006... and at a price of ~10$ :) :)
03' GS500

J_Walker

Quote from: DevilDesire on December 30, 2014, 10:15:08 AM
I got my new handlebar and front tire today! :)

picture

I started removing the old bar and ofcourse at the last bit everything f%&ked up... the 2 damn bolts that hold the master cylinder got roundy round and cannot be removed... I took my drill but didn't have the appropriate drill thingy so ofcourse I broke one...

picture

That's before I started... now everything hangs and is disconnected except for the cylinder...

I'll continue tomorrow or after new year's eve...

Happy holidays!

P.S: The tyre is a BT45 just like my rear, again I found it used with DOT 0713, it doesn't have as much thread as my rear tyre but is still better than the current front Sport Demon from 2006... and at a price of ~10$ :) :)

Get some of these! they have saved me so many times with swiss cheese oil pan bolts! and everything in between!

[attachment deleted by admin]
-Walker

DevilDesire

Oh my god! That is the holy grail itself!!!! I'll immediately try to find such a set... Thanks for the advice!  :cheers:

P.S.: I just found these in a website from my country. Happens that the seller is in my town... I really hope he will sell them to me tomorrow. :D

03' GS500

J_Walker

Quote from: DevilDesire on December 30, 2014, 02:16:58 PM
Oh my god! That is the holy grail itself!!!! I'll immediately try to find such a set... Thanks for the advice!  :cheers:

P.S.: I just found these in a website from my country. Happens that the seller is in my town... I really hope he will sell them to me tomorrow. :D

picture

its just an ideal, and if I was stuck in this situation.. I'd slowly grind off the heads so I could just pull the halves apart, then the bolt "studs" that where left, I would just grab a pair of vice grips and muscle them out..

I really dislike when people try going mr olympia on things like this.. according to my memory. those are size 8 bolts. and should only be torqued down to like 8ft.lbs basically, screw driver tight, then give it about 1/4 of a turn. oh and using red loctite on things that normally would have to come off... like the friggin oil filter cover...
-Walker

DevilDesire

I tried with vice grips... don't know how this has been screwed but I pushed as hard as I could and I'm not some 50kg womanly man.... thing won't even move >.<
03' GS500

J_Walker

Quote from: DevilDesire on December 30, 2014, 04:49:01 PM
I tried with vice grips... don't know how this has been screwed but I pushed as hard as I could and I'm not some 50kg womanly man.... thing won't even move >.<

the heads might of dug into the casting of the body itself, causing it to grip tighter. give it a few wacks with a hammer? if that don't work. use a bigger hammer.   :thumb:
-Walker

DevilDesire

Well it's 2:05 AM here so tomorrow is my day. :D

Imma hammer the sh*t out of this MF bolt...

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
03' GS500

J_Walker

Quote from: DevilDesire on December 30, 2014, 05:05:30 PM
Well it's 2:05 AM here so tomorrow is my day. :D

Imma hammer the sh*t out of this MF bolt...

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

hahaha, just grind it off! or hacksaw. you can only hammer so much before it goes from a bolt, to a square nail.
-Walker

slug

DevilDesire

Well, it's definitely better. There is still no skin at the top of it and it's shorter but at least it doesn't hurt as much and I can now use my hand more and mainly I can apply force with it. It's ugly though... :D :D
03' GS500

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk