Just bought an old GS500E as my first bike

Started by SerbiaTumba, February 10, 2017, 02:25:53 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

SerbiaTumba

Hello boys and girls,

Just wanted to say hi, show what I got and to hear your thoughts.
First of all, my name is Milos, I am from Serbia. Been doing mechanics almost my whole life, even though I am 25 years old.
This year I decided to buy a bike. I have always liked naked and old school bikes. I found this GS500E from `92 really cheap and I bought it.
Bike was in really good condition but there were some things that I wanted to do.
* I cleaned the carb with ultrasound tub,
* adjusted float height,
* checked synchronization,
* adjusted idle speed,
* checked and adjusted tappet clearance,
* cleaned the fuel tank and both fuel cocks,
* polished fuel tank,
* sent the seat to be redone,
and some other things...
Here are some pics:

Looking forward to hearing what you think.

PS: I plan to post a tutorial how to adjust idle speed very precisely with an oscilloscope.

ShowBizWolf

Hi Milos! Welcome to the forum and congrats on the GS! Looking good :rstar: What kind of bars are those? They look higher than stock. Just curious!
Superbike bars, '04 GSXR headlight & cowl, DRZ signals, 1/2" fork brace, 'Busa fender, stainless exhaust & brake lines, belly pan, LED dash & brake bulbs, 140/80 rear hoop, F tail lens, SV650 shock, Bandit400 hugger, aluminum heel guards & pegs, fork preload adjusters, .75 SonicSprings, heated grips

SerbiaTumba

Thanks! Yea, they are higher than stock. Previous owner installed them, I don`t know where he got them. But they are more comfortable, I kinda like them.

Suzi Q

Looks like some nice, chunky bar ends too. Way to jump right in! Are you traditionally a motorcycle mechanic or cars? Welcome, from another new member.
Deals on Amsoil if you want it. PM me for details.

SerbiaTumba

Thank you. This is my first time doing bikes, I have been working mostly with cars and trucks. But the basics are the same, right?  :D

Suzi Q

Quote from: SerbiaTumba on February 10, 2017, 05:37:34 PM
Thank you. This is my first time doing bikes, I have been working mostly with cars and trucks. But the basics are the same, right?  :D

Nothing wrong with that, sounds like you're doing all the right things. And yep! Like cars but simpler!

SerbiaTumba

I would like to post a tutorial for adjusting idle speed with an oscilloscope. Measuring engine speed from signal generator and adjusting accordingly.
Where can I post that? There are a lot of posts regarding idle speed but not so many regarding measuring engine speed when adjusting.
Correct me if I`m wrong.

Suzi Q

YouTube probably? I would also give a basic tutorial on o-scopes and how to set them up, as it's not a super common tool.

SerbiaTumba

Yea, not common but very useful. They can be of great help in many situations as long as you know how to use them and what they can do. I have a PC USB digital o-scope which helped me a lot with my tinkering with HIFI equipment.

Suzi Q

I concur...great tools. I don't use mine as much as I used to back when I was screwing with electronics all the time.

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk